PDA

View Full Version : PCR Tips

fishingmaster2097
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Anyone got any tips for PCR burbs? Because i tried for burbot before but never got anything. All tips appreciated!:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
bait near the bottom...

The Fisherman Guy
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Burbot feed actively at night, so start when most people are headed home for the day. Use 3/8oz glow jigs, and stinky smelts. Fish on bottom, and pound bottom with your jig. They seem to be attracted to the sound of the jig hitting bottom, so pound bottom and then bring it up a few cranks and let it sit still for a couple of minutes. They have a funny bite, not so much a tap like a walleye as it is a slow tugging. They will inhale the bait, so to keep from digging your jig out of their gut set the hook after the first few tugs.

Good luck and be careful when gutting them. I have stuck myself with a jig that a burb swallowed when I was gutting it. My thumb got infected and it wasn't fun!

Good luck, check your regs for night fishing, and have fun!

ogre
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
x2
I had the same experience. I use a size 4 treble with wire leader just in case any pike got interested in the smelly bait. The tugging was also subtle, so a medium light rod would be ideal. Try 1 foot off the substrate, then increase half a foot every couple minutes. Look for cloudy days as that increase your chance of getting a burb.

aulrich
12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
x2 on glow jigs, you can get a little UV led light from WSS it will make the glow like it's nuked. you do need to recharge every 5 -10 min. The fishing does seem to slow down about 9pm, but I am not sure if that is normal or the full moon got to high i the sky.

I also bounce the jigs on the bottom then bounce then lift up a bit and pause. I'll aslo to a couple of high jigs then settle to a pause, the theory is the glow should still be visible from a bit of a distance.

The burbs are starting to get some size to them, there.

ak-71
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Had good luck after sunset. If they are there - they are not very picky IMO.
Baits that worked really well include chicken liver, ham and turkey (from sandwiches), bakon, gummy worms (blue/white sharks were a hit with a smaller ones) and usual smelts. All right on the bottom.