PDA

View Full Version : fishing in hawaii

hunterbabe
12-13-2011, 04:14 AM
i was wondering if anyone has any great ideas on what type of fish to go fishing for while i am in hawaii... i am spending two weeks there and i want sugggestions!!!!

please and thanks guys

:thinking-006:

:shark:

TyreeUM
12-13-2011, 08:16 AM
what island are you going to?

biggyJ
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Oahu- has big bones in couple of areas that you can just park and walk to. However if you have never bone fished I would suggest a guide. Lots of places along the highway to shore fish.

There are a ton of offshore guys located at the marina a short walk from Waikiki beach, but I heard the fishing isnt so good on the windward side. I would try the leeward side or the north shore for an offshore experience.

honker_clonker
12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
If your on Oahu you can take the bus down to Kewalo (sp) basin and get a charter out of there. I have fished with the Maggie Joe outfit a few times and have caught fish all times, the rougher the water the better. Also you can 'whip' the shorelines for a bunch of different species. I have caught trevally, jacks, trumpet fish, goat fish, lizard fish, and a bunch of colorful reef fish. Its a good way to kill some time. I have fished waikiki beach and caught fish, biggest being a 6 pound trevally right in front of the lifeguard tower.

hunterbabe
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
what island are you going to?

first week by the Waikiki beach and second week ohau

i am super pumped and just want to see what kind of fish i can catch... i wanna try going blue marlin fishing as well... i was looking at charter boats and they look pretty fun :) :)

densa44
12-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I've fished on Oahu and Maui and the Oahu was bottom fishing just off Waikiki and I wouldn't recommend it, it was a party boat with all of us sick and just very small bottom fish.

The deep sea charters are expensive and if it is rough not as much fun as you may have hoped.

I don't know how you can predict the sea conditions before you book. There are marine reports and I think fishing results for the islands that you might want to keep an eye on.

Oh, it does rain, I guess that is why it is so green, the first time we went it rained hard all week, we came home a day early.

I hope it is sunny for you!

fourty12
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Any ideas for Kauai or Maui? I tried a charter trip for marlin on the big island a few years ago but would love to get a hold of something while down there.

wwbirds
12-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Boats on north side were expensive and could only take 6 and we had 10+ interested. Would have needed 2 boats at $1200 a day.
One of the guys was desperate to fish Hawaii before we left so bought a cheap Walmart outfit and fished in a river flowing into the ocean around Princeville. He got some sea bass so was pretty pumped. I guess the other boat flipped earlier this year would have been the one we wanted (coast guard approved to 12passengers) and apparently charged $900 a day. Then again if he flipped maybe we didn't want to fish that bad. North shore can really be rough. Surfers love it though! Beautiful island very clean and laid back.

hunterbabe
12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I have approx. 8 people wanting To go in on paying for a charter boat. I don't care if the water is rough or anything I just want to get the experience. Lol and I want to explore Hawaii, do some hiking and photography as well. Seems like a nice place I just want to avoid the beaches and do some different stuff :) Any suggestions on where to go with out guides while hiking as well lol :)

wwbirds
12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Fishing on Kauai is free in the ocean but you have to get out there. We were there for my oldest sons wedding October 11 to 20th and had some keen fishermen as well as myself and both boys who were interested in a charter. Some of the girls or woman were just interested in coming along for the ride so we had aminimum of 12 and an many as 20 that would have gladly tossed $100 in the bucket and tagged along fishing or not. The problem with Hanalei/Princevillle area was only 3 charters and they had a maximum capacity of 6 passengers and not cheap like we had researched on the internet before going as it would now be $200. plus per pereson.
Our research indicated the boat could be rented to $900 for the whole day so our plan was to fill it.
On the north side of the island the road doesn't go much further over to the north west but the boys went on an amazing (difficult) 3 hour hike to an out of the way beasutiful white sand beach (strong currents and waves not recommended for swimming, sign warning 82 drownings since 1990) along a volcanic route. The same route also had a very difficult ascent to a volcano waterfall camping area at high elevation but they passed on this one as it was an 8 hour each way hike. Pictures we saw of the waterfalsl and volcano ridges with vegetation were beautiful. My oldest boy with his new bride and some of the wedding party took the helicopter tour of the island which included a stop at several landmarks including the high elevation waterfall. I am thinking with a 16 hour hike the helicopter would be the way to go.

outdoors forever
12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
i was wondering if anyone has any great ideas on what type of fish to go fishing for while i am in hawaii... i am spending two weeks there and i want sugggestions!!!!

please and thanks guys

:thinking-006:

:shark:

I was wondering if you could provide a picture to go along with your username??

:D

:sEm_oops2: ......ok, I'll stop creepin!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

hunterbabe
12-14-2011, 11:58 PM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

lmfao thats too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

outdoors forever
12-15-2011, 12:02 AM
:)

Lefty-Canuck
12-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I have visited hawaii island before two or three months , i think its a one of the beautiful island of the world , and their were so many restrictions by the management of hawaii island on shooting pics , i dont think so they will allow people to do fishing on the hawai.. their must be a rule about it , may be they allow fishing on some areas of island

I am a bit confused by your post....to fish Hawaii you don't even need a license as long as you are fishing in the ocean and not inland....at least thats how it is on Maui I think the rest of the islands are similar.

LC

bobalong
12-15-2011, 09:21 AM
We went to Hawaii a few years ago and at the time I had never caught bass. We decided to fish an inland reservoir (Lake Wilson) when we were there. We caught Largemouth, and Peacock bass as well as a fish I believe was called a Red devil (bright red fish).
http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_0040.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_0050.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/bass.jpg

seahawkfisher
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
while there, we went with a charter out of KO Olina called live bait. they were great and would go with them again. It was a while ago now tho

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/100_0487.jpg
cheers

Andrew
12-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Went to Maui this april and did some deep sea fishing. Not exactly a giant, but i was able to catch myself a tuna, and another fella on our boat caught a mahi-mahi. Quite an expirience! both of them tasted absolutey awesome!

I remember meeting a couple local boys who were fishing off the beach... their jaws just about hit the floor when i told them about how in canada we drill holes in the ice and fish through them!

hunterbabe
06-10-2013, 02:56 AM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Terrible just terrible lmfao:sHa_sarcasticlol: