PDA

View Full Version : StrikeMaster problem

Bobby B.
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
My brand new StrikeMaster doesn't 'bite' into the ice. The first time I tried to drill some holes, it seemed to mostly 'scratch' at the ice rather than drill into the ice. Last weekend, I rocked the powerhead back and forth a 4-5 inches and it 'bit' much better. Viewing the video which came with the auger, the guy in the ad doesn't rock the auger and it really 'bites' and drills through the ice. It takes my auger about 5 minutes to drill through 8" of hard ice.

This auger is brand new and has drilled only 11 holes in total. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Bobby B.

buckmaster
12-13-2011, 09:02 AM
My brand new StrikeMaster doesn't 'bite' into the ice. The first time I tried to drill some holes, it seemed to mostly 'scratch' at the ice rather than drill into the ice. Last weekend, I rocked the powerhead back and forth a 4-5 inches and it 'bit' much better. Viewing the video which came with the auger, the guy in the ad doesn't rock the auger and it really 'bites' and drills through the ice. It takes my auger about 5 minutes to drill through 8" of hard ice.

This auger is brand new and has drilled only 11 holes in total. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Bobby B.

Did you happen to hit a sandy part of a lake bottom ?

Bobby B.
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Only thing the blades have touched is the protective rubber guard and ice.

Bobby B.

Hunter Trav
12-13-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking you may need to shim the blades to get a different cutting angle on it. Cut yourself a couple of strips of pop can, say 1/4" wide, and the length of the blade. Loosen your bolts on the blade a little, and put the strips in on the cutting edge side, and tighten them back up and give it a go. Cut yourself a few extras in case one isn't enough. Just don't try to do it to much at once, it may bite real hard and want to rip your arms off...:D

silverdoctor
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Could just be bad quality control or built on a friday. bring it back and see if they'll exchange it for you.

Gust
12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Listen to hunter trav and remember to shim both blades identical to eachother, shim at the non blade side not center blade, and if you make your own make it as long as possible that will fit. If you still have the box it came in, there would have been shims that came with it. And don't drill in a hole where someone was fishing earlier, always a new hole.

Daceminnow
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Could just be bad quality control or built on a friday. bring it back and see if they'll exchange it for you.

for sure. there's no reason for a brand new rig not to perform flawless, especially a Strikemaster. don't mess around trying to shim blades on a new auger, did the instruction manual call for such an act. i think not. unless you bought it out of the back of a white van, take it back and get a different unit with a proper running leg.

Dace

Bobby B.
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
for sure. there's no reason for a brand new rig not to perform flawless, especially a Strikemaster. don't mess around trying to shim blades on a new auger, did the instruction manual call for such an act. i think not. unless you bought it out of the back of a white van, take it back and get a different unit with a proper running leg.

Dace

I agree completely. I'm not interested in 'fixing' a brand new item. I've chatted with the store where the auger was purchased and they will exchange the running leg with a new unit.

Bobby B.

Redfrog
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Sounds like it's not drilling properly.

HOpe this helps.:):)

FishingFrenzy
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Dont jack around with it, exchange it.

Yes it can be fixed, but its a brand new unit and you shouldn't have to waste your time because you got a lemon.

madatter
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Similar problem with a year old Eskimo Z71....after installing new blades it would just shave ice and not dig.
Had to shim it a bit but still does not cut like it did new...more experimenting to do,maybe put on another set of new blades.
Never had issues with the Jiffy blades in 12+ years!!

EDMfishing
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Had the same problem with my eskimo i bought for last season, after drilling about 10 holes, tossed it in the back of the jeep and examined the blades and found a suprise - all the bolts holding them on where on the verge of falling off, 1 had fallen off into my jeep (thankfully).. tightened them all back up with a good ol swiss army and away she went cuttin thru ice - like a spork thru butter:sHa_sarcasticlol:

montec
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
the leg pitch is out, get a new one and u will see

jack88
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I pretty much have to smash mine into the ice to get it to bite, then really lean on it to get it going. Been like this ever since I bought it. Oh and PS, dont lean your auger up against anything and leave it. The super tough "military grade" plastic handle isnt as tough as they make it out to be.

cujo1969
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Tell them to take it back and get a jiffy.

walleyeca
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey is the middle digger spike there? maybe it broke off? I ve seen that before?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey is the middle digger spike there? maybe it broke off? I ve seen that before?

Or the area around it with frozen Ice , will do the same thing . Wonder if theres any blades on it LOL