PDA

View Full Version : Travers and PCR Dec 10

aulrich
12-13-2011, 09:49 AM
The itch has finally been has finally been scratched, it was to be a big family crew but SWMBO said she was not ice fishing on her birthday and two of threee boys agreed, so it was just Skunkboy, the brother-inlaw, his boy and myself. We get a late start since we were planning of hitting bothe Travers for whites and PCR for night burbs.

The whites were done spawning at Travers as far as I could tell so last years fish fest was not repeated, good think skunk was there since he pulled in most of them, the fish were there just not very interested and very spread out the ice was about as thin as I would want to go out on 3 ish inches (resort side). But nice size fish we took home 8, 6 of them already had a trip through the smoker.

At about 3:30 we packed up and headed to PCR. (Ice the sam 3 ish inches)

We got there just as it was getting dark, I like to fish the SE bay and the point by the out flow, we are not even all set up when skunkboy ices the first one, and he was down the hole for maybe 10 seconds. Up until thatpoint it was the biggest burb we have seen and since the plan was to actually try and eat a burbot we kept it. As it turned out it was one of the smaller fish we caught that night. The burbot must have had a good year since we only caught a few of what I would have called "PCR normal size" . We came home with 8 of those too, and the family decision is that burbs look like crap but taste good, so we will take a few more over the winter.

I'll have to see what Skunk has on his camera if they are decent i'll post them

On a sad note Skunks brand new marcum 380's camera died in the first few minuits it was wet, I guess marcum must of has a run of bad cameras since after they heard the model they just said they would send a new one out to me, rather than have me sent the unit back in.

All in all a great day out

Gary K
12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
good to hear, ill be heading there on thursday hopefully.

i shall let you know how it goes!~

dan_the_man
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
hey im from med hat and was thinking about trying out travers for my first time, is it good walleye and pike fishing? lakes around here dont seem to have much walleye so i wouldnt mind frying up a few of them

TROLLER
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Can't you keep walleye at 40 mile coulee? Used to be able to keep one as long as it was 50cm.

Beats the hell out of driving all the way to little bow from the hat.

dan_the_man
12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
ya you can keep one over 55cm, but ive never had much luck at 40 mile. i heard travers was good for walleye and pike,but have never been there, i dont mind driving far; as long as i catch some fish haha

aulrich
12-15-2011, 07:29 AM
At this point I have only fished for whites at Travers, so I have no help.