PDA

View Full Version : South end of coal opposed to the north end.

gwh12
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, I usually go out to the north end of coal lake and only catch 5-10 small pike a day. This year I'm looking for the big guys and I hear it's better towards the south end of the lake. Is this true? Any tips would be much appreciated

Xiph0id
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, I usually go out to the north end of coal lake and only catch 5-10 small pike a day. This year I'm looking for the big guys and I hear it's better towards the south end of the lake. Is this true? Any tips would be much appreciated

In summer I do better south than north, and theres a pipestone that feeds the lake. I think it's better but thats just me.

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Coal got fished out hard this year.....lots and lots of pressure there. With it being one of the better pike fisheries around WITH a retention limit....also I hate to say but alot of fish there get kept that shouldn't be. I will know how bad/good it is come spring when I hit the early season on the flyrod.

I usually fish the North end.

LC

bloopbloob
12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
i agree that it got fished hard... I saw A LOT of fish in the 10-20lb range kept out of there this year... kind of sad to see them getting pulled out, since i'm 99% C&R, but its legal, so it is what it is. Last winter was nothing but 2lb hammer handles all winter long, haven't hit the ice this year, but maybe this weekend.