PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Texas

fishstix
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Merry christmas everyone!

Im going to Hueston Texas for work at the end of january. Does anyone anything about the flyfishing there in late January?
I just started looking in to it today. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Fishstix!!

Dan Foss
12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
LOL. not too many folks flyfish there. I was down there last year at christmas and did some fishing around kemah. Any idea on where you want to fish or what you want to catch? fishing salt water or fresh, etc.

When I was in some of the fishing shops down there and mentioned fly fishing I often get a weird look and was told I guess people do that a little more when they travel west towards colorado and stuff but its not common there. also, not many people use spinning gear. its baitcaster heaven down there.

Hunterofbeasts
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Hey, I was there in summer and the fishing was pretty awesome. I waited in Wal Mart for two hours and watched the idiots try to figure out how to issue a fishing license, but ended up leaving ****ed off with no permits. I ran into a Park Ranger and they informed me that you don't need a lisence if you're fishing in a park. Houston is FULL of parks with loads of fish in them. Hit up a bait shop and go crazy ^^ Bait is dirt cheap there. I used worms and a bobber for the first while and was catching little fish pretty much as soon as the bait hit the water. Shrimp worked really well too, and I had a good battle with a Gar and got a bunch of other hits. I even caught a 10 foot alligator but couldn't land him (not that I wanted to)

ak-71
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Try "http://texasfishingforum.com/" . Lived there for 7 years - didn't hear much about flyfishing. Maybe somwhere in a hill country? They've being going through a bad drought there this year as far as I know too.

nekred
12-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Instead of fly fishing try fishing with Hillman charters... awesom guy to go after seatrout and redfish... what a blast... got to hook into an 80lb black drum... those things are like a horse!...

Aesome trip awesome guy... runs out of Galveston...

Dan Foss
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Ha. you must have gone to the same wallmart that I did. Took FOREVER to get our licences and they were soooooooo confused with the canadian IDs. We went fishing In Kemah in gaveston bay technically so we needed our licences but if you do find a park go nuts. Catfish are also found in almost any body of water as well. Alot of the community ponds have them if they are big enough. I wanted to try for a gar so bad when I was down there but I didnt know where to go. I also looked into doing a charter but when I was down the fishing wasnt great so I decided to wait until next visit.

mikeym
12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
was in Houston on a training course about 5 yrs ago and there is a fantastic little fly shop downtown called I Fly. they have an in house tyer that does most of the flies and lots of nice equipment and clothing to look at. they also have another shop somewhere in Houston, not sure where though.bought a bunch of really nicely tied flies from them and drooled over the hi end waders and boots there.

also Orvis has a retail store in Houston also just not sure where.

there was also another fly shop right across the street from the big mall in Houston (can't remeber the name of the mall or store), it might of been the other I fly shop but it was closed when i went by it.
]
check either one out on the web as they are good starting spots for you to try.

rgds
Mike

secretspot
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Good day fishstix. My dad lives in bridge city out side of houston about two hours.
He runs a little place there called Muddy Waters Marina. If you want you could pm me if you are interrested and I could get you guys together for some jetty fishing. My wife and I always have great time we have when we go down fishing salt specs and sandies. Never fly fish for em but who knows anything is possible. You may even get to go "fishin" for crabs.