PDA

View Full Version : Side by side holes... technique?

bloopbloob
12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
I'll be heading to Wab in the near future, and because its full of monsters, i think I should drill connecting holes in case the big one comes... but I've never done this before. I have an 8" gas auger. Looking for advice for the best way to do this. My plan was to keep alternating back and forth between the two holes before ever punching through to water.... but never tried, wondering what works best...? Thx!

Lefty-Canuck
12-13-2011, 11:45 PM
I'll be heading to Wab in the near future, and because its full of monsters, i think I should drill connecting holes in case the big one comes... but I've never done this before. I have an 8" gas auger. Looking for advice for the best way to do this. My plan was to keep alternating back and forth between the two holes before ever punching through to water.... but never tried, wondering what works best...? Thx!

You know plesiosaurus is extinct right? :)

LC

Big Red 250
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
You can drag a big fish out of an 8 inch hole.

The Fisherman Guy
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I cut windows in the spring to sight fish. Drill a hole nearby for a tip up, and marlk the depth you broke through on your auger. Drill 4/5 of the way through, then start the next hole. Use an axe or ice chisel to knock off the sharp points. Once your hole is smooth, drill the rest of the way through.

chubbdarter
12-13-2011, 11:52 PM
thats why i keep my 4 blade lazer...its a no brainer just drill linked holes without any concern.
ive tryed other augers and binding can happen

Geezle
12-14-2011, 08:04 AM

The way you described is pretty much how I do it...just alternate back and forth until you finally punch through.

You can drag a big fish out of an 8 inch hole.

Of course you can...but what happens when that fish decides to wrap itself up in the line? Pikehunter1989 and I had to go shoulder deep a couple times last year to unwrap/turn fish up the hole. It's easy enough to do when you're only on less than a foot of ice, but once there's 2'-3' it's another story entirely!

With a double hole when this happens it's a lot easier to bring the fish up sideways or backwards if you have to.

Guitarplayingfish
12-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I found out this year that a 30lb pike will fit through an 8" hole.... . You should be ok.

The Fisherman Guy
12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Double or triple holes are good for more than getting a fish above the ice, it also helps your back from not having to crouch over the hole while shallow sight fishing.

Guys; he asked you to share your technique not your opinion.

pikehunter1989
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
The way you described is pretty much how I do it...just alternate back and forth until you finally punch through.

Of course you can...but what happens when that fish decides to wrap itself up in the line? Pikehunter1989 and I had to go shoulder deep a couple times last year to unwrap/turn fish up the hole. It's easy enough to do when you're only on less than a foot of ice, but once there's 2'-3' it's another story entirely!

With a double hole when this happens it's a lot easier to bring the fish up sideways or backwards if you have to.

X2... After that episode its double holes once the ice is over 12 inches.. Makes it much easier to pull up a 10 or 15lber that's wrapped up like a mummie on Halloween and covered in weeds.
As for technique... Like said alternate every few inches and keep it straight or your auger will want to jam up.

duffy4
12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Before the ice gets too too thick I have seen where guys have used a chainsaw to cut a bigger square hole to fish in.

BE SURE TO PUT THE BLOCK BACK IN THE HOLE WHEN YOU ARE DONE. I have seen kids playing around on the ice while their parents fished. Kids small enough to go right down a chainsawed hole.

WayneChristie
12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I alternate holes, I also wear winter rubber boots because finishing the second hole will soak your feet. and you could pull an elephant out of an 8 inch hole if you pulled hard enough, but what are you doing to the poor elephant?

bloopbloob
12-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the info. I know big fish can fit through an 8" hole, but why struggle, and risk losing only the biggest! Better safe than sorry!

WayneChristie
12-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the info. I know big fish can fit through an 8" hole, but why struggle, and risk losing only the biggest! Better safe than sorry!

thats exactly why I do doubles now, lost my biggest fish ever trying to get it through a 9 inch hole

Joe
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
If your auger is a jiffy you can run 10" blades on a 8" auger, did if for years just leaves lots of shavings in the hole.