PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun help

wavemaker
12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I am taking me young son to Wabamun tomorrow. I haven't fished there in a long time. I would love any help on where on the lake we should try.
Thanks!

YeeHaw
12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Pm sent.

Willowtrail
12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Geezle, help this guy/gal out.

I would say go fish 8-10' of water and jig a 1/2oz jighead with a big smelt in the tent and set up a couple tipups with a large or extra large smelt on a quickstrike rig or just on a large treble. Put a set of bells on your tipup flag so you hear the strike.

wavemaker
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks! I will post results.

Geezle
12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
This time of year when access is pretty much walk on only, I usually just go for what's easy. Go into the town of Wabamun and park by the main boat launch. Walk out a couple hundred yards past the dock. You'll probably see evidence of others having already fished out there.

Generally speaking out from town is on average 5-7 FOW and you've gotta go pretty far if you want anything deeper. Drop a big fishy bait down there...smelts, herring, anchovies etc. all work well. If the bait isn't too thick I'll hook it up with a single treble, size 1 or 1/0 depending on the bait. Push the shank of the treble up through the belly of the bait, and out its back, then hook the treble on to your leader, and you're set! If you have a larger bait that this won't work on, you can also use a quick strike rig or something similar. If you do a quick search there's been a couple discussions on rigging recently.

I was out last weekend and most of the fish caught were rather hesitant...the wanted the bait to be pretty much sitting there dead with little to no action. They'd come right up and just stare at my bait...sometimes a little twitch would get them to bite, but most times it would just spook them right off.

Fallis would be another good option while access is limited, though I'm less familiar with the area. There's a very drastic dropoff over in that area, however if you don't have a sonar or camera then you'll probably have to punch a number of holes until you find the shallow edge of it.

Really you can go just about anywhere in the lake and catch some pike with your son...Wab is just crawling with fish! Just get out and find anywhere with more than 5' or water, drop down some bait, and you're set :)

Good luck out there!