PDA

View Full Version : hand ice augers

hosmerunited
12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
i am looking at getting a hand auger. however i a have few questions about them.
is having the curved blades that much better than the straight blades worth the extra money?
if going with a few friends and expect to drill more than just a few holes my buddy's have gas augers. so not looking at doing alot of holes every time.

has anyone used the the attachments to your cordless drill. they worth the money?
oh and i am now in south east bc so not expecting lots of ice to drill through like i have seen on some lakes over the years in alberta.
mike

Kim473
12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Just get a power auger, 10" and your to good anywhere. Good resale value too, if needed.

Isopod
12-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Not sure if I understand exactly what u mean about flat vs curved blades... but the auger I use has a flat blade facing the ice, ie. it would lay flat on a table, not rock back and forth like if it had a curved surface. If that's the flat blade, then that's what I have and I think it would work fine for what you want.

I have a 6" diameter manual auger that I bought about 25 years ago for $49. About 5 years ago I bought an 8" gas auger for a lot more :). If the ice is less than 12" thick, sometimes even less than 18" thick, I prefer the manual auger -- a lot less weight to haul, easy to drill through 12" of ice manually. More ice than that and I get lazy and want the ease of the gas auger to punch lots of holes. Plus, a 6" diameter hole is kind of like having tunnel-vision when you stare down a through 3' of ice before you get to water... the 8" power auger hole gives a much better window on the world below. But none of that matters if the ice is only a foot thick. In fact, it's easier to land a fish in a smaller diameter hole, because in an 8" or 10" hole they can turn around and try to swim down, whereas in a 6" hole they can't turn around.

With a manual auger you want to keep the blades as sharp as possible, since you are doing all the work. I found I had to replace them once a year when that was the only auger I was using. I could sharpen them with Japanese sharpening stones at home and sometimes get another full season out of them, but that was really pushing it and it's better to buy brand new blades each year unless you are a master at re-sharpening them.

I've never cut myself so many times and so badly as when I used to change blades on my manual auger... they couldn't invent a razor blade so sharp and so sneaky!

I have used a manual auger to drill through 3 feet of ice on numerous trips. But those tended to be one-hole or two-hole fishing days. That's why I bought the gas auger -- to punch 20 holes thru 3' of ice and give myself lots of variety on where to fish. But if you are fishing ice of a foot or so thick, a manual auger is all you need.

Geezle
12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
It's kind of a personal preference thing...both will do the job just fine. The curved blades are a little more aggressive, and cut a little quicker, but they're also more expensive to replace, and from what I hear, tougher to sharpen.

The bigger difference you'll probably see is that the one with the curved blades has offset handles, whereas the straight blade style *usually* has a bit and brace handle. With the offset handles you get both arms doing the work instead of one...quicker and easier IMO.

Is it worth the money? That's up to you. Personally, when it comes to hand augers...I like my Fin-Bore :)

ak-71
12-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Mine is 8", curved blades and doesn't have an offset handle. If I was buying one now to use all season it would be the one with offset handle for sure and likely 6". It does make a huge difference on thick ice, as far as I remember. Curved or straight would be a second order issue for me as long as an auger is well reviewed

Tikka300
12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I use a Finnbore III 6" hand auger, have used these since I could drill a hole. It is all we use and yeah in 3 feet of ice they suck but you can get through and keep warm drilling holes.

This auger would have curved blades and offset handles - best hand auger in my opinion.

aulrich
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I did the math a few years ago and a 6" hole move something like 43% less ice vs 8" owngraded from the 8" it was way less effort as long as the ice was not too think you could sort of run and gun. I have the straight blades and it is quick enough. when the ice get's thick skunkboy and I will two man the job, I don't think we could pull it off with off set handles.

Mind you we are storing someone elses power auger at our house this year so when the ice thickens that will come out.

Richard B.
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree with the other posters about sticking with a 6" manual auger and keeping your blades sharp.

Another tool that you might find useful is an ice chisel to chip out holes that have been drilled by others assuming they are not using them. A good full length ice chisel cost's about $50

ak-71
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I did the math a few years ago and a 6" hole move something like 43% less ice vs 8" owngraded from the 8" it was way less effort as long as the ice was not too think you could sort of run and gun. I have the straight blades and it is quick enough. when the ice get's thick skunkboy and I will two man the job, I don't think we could pull it off with off set handles.

Mind you we are storing someone elses power auger at our house this year so when the ice thickens that will come out.

I'd guess it's 6^2/8^2 ratio.
But the second factor is that if the handles are the same and blades are bigger you get less leverage too.
The one I used long time ago was closer to 6", rotated against the clock (better ergonomics I think) and had offset handles - I could drill all day long through 4' ice in spring . After drilling with 8" "laser" for 2 people last spring I am a proud owner of an Eskimo z71 now :). Laser drills great, but with thick I ice I become a weak point in the system :)

hosmerunited
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
thank you for your info guys.
kinda figured it would come down to personal opinion. just wanted to see what guys who use them think. for big ice or big groups the boys have the auger and i have the big 6 man frabill tent. did this then one was not putiing all the money in for all the gear. kinda worked out seeing as i moved away from calgary. lol still not sure which one i will go with.
mike

northerners
12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
if u get a hand auger make sure its built in sweden, i think they r called swede bore or sumpin close to that

BGSH
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
i am either buying https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3866781.jpg
or
https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3848213.jpg
the swede one or the eskimo

jim summit
12-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Get the Swede, I had the Eskimo, and later the Swede.
No comparision, the blue Swede is way faster and less tiring.

Geezle
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
if u get a hand auger make sure its built in sweden, i think they r called swede bore or sumpin close to that

I agree. The best ones are made by Normark/Mora of Sweden. There are 2 'models'.

The Swede-Bore models have the flat blades, bit and brace handle, and are more cost effective.

The Fin-Bore models have the curved blades and offset handles. They cost a little more, but perform a little better.

I used an 8" Eskimo hand auger once (bit and brace handle) and it felt very flimsy in comparison to either of the Mora augers I've used.

Just sayin' :)

i am either buying https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3866781.jpg
or
https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3848213.jpg
the swede one or the eskimo

Get the Swede-Bore. It's worth the few extra bucks :)

Flyfisher87
12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
x2 on the Mora. Use it even when there is 4 feet of ice. Great workout too!!

Penner
12-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I use a hand auger till about mid Jan when ease of mobility is most important. I bought a Fin-Bore in 8" many years ago and would dare buy anything else. The Fin-Bore worth every penny. Its the offset handles that are key as your cranking with two arm rather than one. Two guys on that hand auger in 8" can drill through 3ft of ice as quick as a power auger. We've done it.

The curved blades I could do without tho as I have yet to find anyone whom can sharpen them. But if you protect the blades at all times you won't need to replace them often. I'm only on my second set of blades and I drill many holes in a season.

Big Red 250
12-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Any Swedish built auger is the way to go, but I only reccomend the 8 inch. It gets a little tougher to turn after about 2 1/2 feet but not bad if the blades are sharp.

Don't know about Alberta but back when I lived in Manitoba, "The Fishin Hole" sharpened auger blades, I would drop off my dull blades and for $5.00 they exchanged them for a sharpened pair.