PDA

View Full Version : Any one know of good perch fishing around Edmonton?

tbone556
12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for a good perch lake for ice fishing around Edmonton.

drake
12-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Nakamun lake from what i hear.....Hasse used to be awsome too!

Garry B
12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Don't bother with Hasse. There is nothing catchable there now (Sticklebacks don't count). It winter killed severely last winter. Lots of posts on that here.

drake
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't bother with Hasse. There is nothing catchable there now (Sticklebacks don't count). It winter killed severely last winter. Lots of posts on that here.

not from what i heard....i got word today that there are some BIG ones being caught in there still. Maybe the winterkill thinned out the little perch

Garry B
12-15-2011, 01:49 PM
not from what i heard....i got word today that there are some BIG ones being caught in there still. Maybe the winterkill thinned out the little perch

Hmmmmm? I wrote to SRD and they replied that they netted the lake this spring and found no fish at all except sticklebacks. Now that isn't conclusive proof that some fish don't exist somewhere in the lake but coupled with consistent reports from anglers that none are being caught - as well as me trying myself - I pretty much believed it was dead, dead, dead for catch-able (is 'catch-able' a word?) fish. Now I do believe that if some sticklebacks survived it is POSSIBLE that a few tiny perch lived. And they would grow. But it would take a few years before they reach catch-able size not to mention large size. And before the winterkill there was nothing big, so they would not be the big ones that are reportedly being caught now.

So, I'm skeptical but always open to being shown proof ... :)

Isopod
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Proof would be nice. I remember fishing for perch at Hastings lake (45 km east of Edmonton) the year after that lake had killed. I was getting nothing of course, then had some guy walk over who had been fishing a short distance from me, and he claimed he was seeing loads of 12" perch on his camera but none were biting. He seemed sincere enough but in retrospect I have to think he was selling me crap. I dunno, maybe he saw something on his camera and misinterpreted the images as perch? Maybe he was getting kicks kidding me? Or maybe I'm missing out on a goldmine...

Sundancefisher
12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Is this a trick question? Is there anything good around Edmonton?

:bad_boys_20:

Kim473
12-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Proof would be nice. I remember fishing for perch at Hastings lake (45 km east of Edmonton) the year after that lake had killed. I was getting nothing of course, then had some guy walk over who had been fishing a short distance from me, and he claimed he was seeing loads of 12" perch on his camera but none were biting. He seemed sincere enough but in retrospect I have to think he was selling me crap. I dunno, maybe he saw something on his camera and misinterpreted the images as perch? Maybe he was getting kicks kidding me? Or maybe I'm missing out on a goldmine...

I would not be surprized if there are some perch still in hastings as there are still feeder fish swimming around. I would not waiste my time trying it tho as there would very few if any.

Rumtan
12-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Hastings lake always has pelicans on it all summer.......some people interpret that as there are fish in that lake. I have fished it (with no success) but at that time I didnt have a camera to view the underwater activity. Give the ice a bit more time to thicken and then we can get a group together and drill, fish and view. Then we can post the results.

Kim473
12-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Hastings lake always has pelicans on it all summer.......some people interpret that as there are fish in that lake. I have fished it (with no success) but at that time I didnt have a camera to view the underwater activity. Give the ice a bit more time to thicken and then we can get a group together and drill, fish and view. Then we can post the results.

Sounds good to me. We have had a cottage there for over 45 years so I kinda know a little bit about the lake.

Rumtan
12-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Anyone with a camera or is willing to join us please let us know and we can make a day of it.

tbone556
12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
What about Gull or Mink lake? I've heard both are good in recent times.

The Anvil
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Anyone with a camera or is willing to join us please let us know and we can make a day of it.

I have a Camera,

I should make sure the battery is charged.

yanngoyan
12-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Good job.

Willowtrail
12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds good to me. We have had a cottage there for over 45 years so I kinda know a little bit about the lake.

I'm in. I got a camera, quad and auger. Would love to find out if theres fish in there. could go for a quick evening after work in the summer.