PDA

View Full Version : pike thru ice

m82fish
02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I have always been a trout fisherman due to location but am interested in pike thru the ice.Can anyone offer up any hints aside from just the quick strike rig.I am taking a young lad out and need some help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Copenhagen Kid
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
where are you located at?

m82fish
02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I live in Canmore but will be fishing around Medicine Hat or Brooks.

Versatile
02-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Pike are pretty easy big pike are not so easy but not as hard as big trout. Trick is to stay 15' or shallower use a big smelt or Chub. We have had luck with tip ups that dont let line out but not I am addicted to these set ups that when the pike strke they can swim away and take line.

Firetiger has always been a hot colour in Rapala's for me but Silver hasnt let me down. Usually I like to rig a smelt on a 5 of diamonds or Red Devil Spoon.

knight hunter
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM
1/2 oz jig with the biggest minnows U can find or smelts. Always use a leader.

TundraBuck
02-09-2008, 09:12 AM
NOOOOOO!!! Do not jig rods. Even though the fight is a hell of a lot better, tipups are definitely the way to go.

As far as baits go, get bigger ones. Big baits = big fish. Smaller pike will be intimidated by a 10 - 12" herring and won't take. For years I fished with anchovies and very rarely caught a big pike but now I fish with 10 - 12" herring and 8 - 15" suckers (dead) and have way more success for bigger fish. When you're using bigger baits make sure you get some quickstrike rigs, they are a rig that keeps your bait sitting horizontally and has 2 treble hooks so your hookup rate goes up substantially.

Anywhere right now from 5 - 20 ft of water, but as RyanGSP said, usually under 15 is where I get most of the bigger ones.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Duster
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Isnt two treble hooks on one line illegal!

matt1984
02-09-2008, 10:10 AM
nope, a treble hook counts as one hook. So you could actually have 3 on there if you wanted.

Walleyes
02-09-2008, 12:51 PM
NOOOOOO!!! Do not jig rods. Even though the fight is a hell of a lot better, tipups are definitely the way to go.

Sorry tundra but you are wrong on this one buddy,,, minnows are fish,, fish swim, hence a little action is always better... I will on average out fish a tip up with a jig/ swedish jig and minnow by at least 2 - 3 fish to 1...

m82fish,, all points given hear are good ones ( well almost) try them all and you will find fish.. The main thing is look for structure/ bays, points weed edges. Remember Pike are very vigorous hunters and like to cruise the edge of weed beds looking to pick up any bait that happens to stick its head out all you have be is that bait sticking its head out.. good luck..

Versatile
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Unfortunatly I have to agree with Walleyes on this one. We find we get the most strikes when the wind is blowing the tip ups giving it some action. We get alot fo strikes when the wind dies down then all of a sudden we get a gust bobing the tip up. Seems the motion finalizes the strike.

Walleyes
02-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Unfortunatly I have to agree with Walleyes on this one.

What do you mean " Unfortunatly" ????

m82fish
02-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd like to thank all of you guys that gave me advice on this topic and I will most definitely take all into consideration and try a little bit of everything and see what works best for me and then I will post it all here for all to see Thanks again! Oh,and I guess I'd better get a bigger auger.This should sure build my arms.

Versatile
02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
6 inch will do but I would look at an 8". I have a Fin-Bore II and it goes through like nothing. My old man has a Eskimo gas and its really nice once you know where the fish are but its not too much fun hauling it around when your searching.

I see guys with 10" but its really not needed and dangerous when small children are around (nothing like a child stepping into an old hale that has been blown over by snow and they get dunked.

knight hunter
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I've caught pike of all sizes up to 20lber's using a 1/4 jig tipped with a mealworm jigging for perch. Pike will bite anything if their hungary. But if targeting pike, always use a leader, the longer the better.

Versatile
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Ive seen guys catch them on a Nymph fly but it wouldnt be my first choice for a hook.