PDA

View Full Version : BC (kelowna area) Ice condition information

g_trout
12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello,

My sister lives in Kelowna and I want to take her family out ice fishing as a Christmas gift. I am willing to bring all my gear out but would rather not if we can't get out on the ice. I would expect higher elevations would have ice but then road conditions become a factor.

I can not find a place, like this forum, where I can get ice information. I found a couple of sites that mention ice conditions but the posts are from 2007 and 2008(it was a little thin at the time). Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Graden

Kingfisher
12-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Graden, give Nick or Savas a call at Trout waters in Kelowna. They will help you out. Tell them their buddy Rob in Calgary told you to call.

Here is their contact information.
http://www.trou****ers.ca/

Telephone
1-888-823-6633 (Toll free)
1-250-860-2262 (Local number)
FAX 1-250-860-2171

Email
trou****ersfishing@gmail.com

Trout Waters Fly & Tackle
Attention: Savas Koutsantonis or Nick Pace
2280 Leckie Road, Unit C
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
V1X 6G6

Be careful of any low level lakes. Wood Lake along the highway will freeze. But always has thin spots. I can't remember a year when there hasn't been at least one death on that lake from falling through thin ice. I would skip Wood if I were you.

If your contacting them by email or checking out their website. You will have to skip the space that I put in. For some reason AO website will not let you spell Trout and water together. Must be some nasty foreign language that the rest of the population doesn't know. How stupid is that?

Rob

mustard73
12-17-2011, 09:30 AM
The higher elevation lakes should be frozen by now. I ice fish west of Summerland and Peachland at Christmas time and the lakes are good to walk or snowmobile on. Usually there is a lot of floodwater though.