PDA

View Full Version : Spray access

ak-71
12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I was going to try Spray lake tommmorow (never fished this lake nor for lake trout before). It seems that most people park on the road on the boat ramp side and walk across. Is this becaise the road on the other side is closed / not cleared? Does anybody have ice/snow update for the lake? Any other advise?
I am looking through the threads about this lake, seems like it hit or miss there. I have buzz bombs, tube jigs, smelt
Thanks,
AK

jacenbeers
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
The road in is nice and well maintained. The ice was about 8 inches thick last week. Anything that glows with a smelt works well.

deanna
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
never ice fished there but done lots in the summer, small foxxy jigs w/half smelt in 60 fow straight across from boat launch & to the left 0.5 km, nonstop action. good luck

jts1
12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
shoot me an email and I will help out with what I can

Pickrel_jigger
12-16-2011, 04:19 AM
I talked to the guys at Wapiti Sports in Canmore yesterday they say there is 12" of Ice on Spray. I am heading out to Spray today to try my luck! Hopefully it will be a good Catching Trip!

ak-71
12-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Thank you for all advises. Got to computer late yesterday, too late to reply. Tried to different depth and made a lot of holes with my new auger (hope nobody got angry with me for doing that). Tried from 35 to 90 FOW, hooked and lost 1 @20' in 65 FOW (got bless fishfinders) and iced one I couldn't see at the bottom in the same hole (shadow zone from drop-off). I let him go as he was 14" and pretty skinny and that must have offended lake spirits - no more fish for me, should have kept the first fish from the lake :). Had couple more bites (I think) one I actually saw on a sonar following the bait, or may be he got off it really quick. But didn't really mark much fish, after ~11 am it went pretty much dead
Need to learn the lake better, but it was a good day.

PS. West road is closed at the dam.

ogre
12-16-2011, 11:51 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Been there, done the release then regret thing. But at least you were fishing, right?
Thanks for info about the dam access.