PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for heat.

leeaspell
12-16-2011, 07:25 AM
So baught a hut and decided bo build a wood stove for it from a steel pail beacuse i was to cheap to buy a heater. When all said and done it probably cost more than heater but it works great. What is everyone else using?

bobalong
12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I use the big buddy. More than enough heat for the tent, but works well for cooking a snack or boiling a pot of coffee as well.

handicap
12-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I use the sunflower with the automatic shut off which works very well. Only one problem is the condensation that accumulates on the ceiling. But it keeps my 6 man tent warm enough on even the coldest days I use SM styrofoam on the floor to keep my feet warm and out of the water.

finner-duramax
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
if u can get a hold of a old tobacco tin can, with a roll of toilet paper in it.
then fill the tin can with methyl hydrate works perfectly in a 4 man ice cube.

HunterDave
12-16-2011, 12:31 PM
if u can get a hold of a old tobacco tin can, with a roll of toilet paper in it.

A can just bigger than the roll of toilet paper? How long does it last?

finner-duramax
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
the toilet paper lasts forever, its the methyl hydrate thats burns.
i have been using the same can for 4 years now with the same roll of TP.
u can buy a gallon of the methyl hydrate from canadian tire for 8 bucks.

the toilet paper has to be snug in the tin can.

Heavy K
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
So baught a hut and decided bo build a wood stove for it from a steel pail beacuse i was to cheap to buy a heater. When all said and done it probably cost more than heater but it works great. What is everyone else using?

You wouldn't be able to post a pic of your steel bucket stove setup by any chance? That sounds neat!

HK

redranger15
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
the toilet paper lasts forever, its the methyl hydrate thats burns.
i have been using the same can for 4 years now with the same roll of TP.
u can buy a gallon of the methyl hydrate from canadian tire for 8 bucks.

the toilet paper has to be snug in the tin can.

Huh,no chit. Going to have the try that in my deer stand and put the can under my pail I sit on, should keep my azz warm. Does it stink? How do you put it out?

Shmag
12-16-2011, 02:39 PM
What is everyone else using?

CHERRY WHISKEY !!! and long johns

1shotwade
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Huh,no chit. Going to have the try that in my deer stand and put the can under my pail I sit on, should keep my azz warm. Does it stink? How do you put it out?

Uhhh ohhh can read the headline already "MAN LAUNCHED OUT OF DEER STAND AFTER EATING PICKLED EGGS AND CHILI, CAUSE OF EXPLOSION STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION":sign0161:

silverdoctor
12-16-2011, 03:05 PM

I've use that setup, but with 95% ethyl alcohol, works well but the fumes can get you a little wonky. Never thought of methyl hydrate, any fumes? Ethyl alcohol takes a bit to light when it's really cold, gotta keep it warm.

I use a small all metal coffee can, like tim hortons or presidents choice, most are paper based. Get a big roll of toilet paper, generally the single wrapped but I can't find them around calgary. take out the cardboard tube and shove it in the can, should be nice and snug.

Soak the toilet paper with your flammables until it's fully soaked. you only need a 1/8" to a 1/4" over the toilet paper to get some good heat going on.

raoul
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
i use a lil buddy heater. good for a 2-3 person pop up tent. thermocoupler makes it hard to start in cold weather though.

p.s. whichever way you choose to heat just watch that there is a good supply of air.

finner-duramax
12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
ill post a pic when i get the chance,
as for fumes nothing, doesn't burn the eyes like propane either.

Flyfisher87
12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I use a Coleman Sportcat heater. Works great in my one man shack.

Speckle55
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Coleman Propane Catalytic Heater $86 at Walmart keep a window open a bit as condensate does build up:)

Willowtrail
12-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Used a knock off Sunflower that I picked up at Costco last season, puts out loads of heat, almost too much some days.

This year I grabbed a Big Buddy. Works great. Has 3 heat settings and a fan.

I recommend the auxillary hose for the big tank as I have used too many green bottles already this year and it's not even Christmas yet.

220 Swift
12-16-2011, 08:27 PM
yes the methanol in the tin can works good. The methanol somehow fell out of my work truck and into the chunky soup can. fish shack and i have done it in my garage.

at first i was wondering about CO poisoning but it burns fairly clean and with the door open some times it wasnt a problem. i guess no different than a sunflower as its burning in a confined area too

now in the garage i use a blue flame heater, it works really good.

silverdoctor
12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
picked up some methyl hydrate tonite, going to give it a whirl next time i'm freezing my arse off on the ice. Ethyl alcohol gives off great heat but the fumes will drive a person loopy. See how the methyl works out.

For those of you looking to try it, it kicks out ALOT of heat in a short time. You will be knocking open the doors before long.

Albertafisher
12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
My crotch. :bad_boys_20:

FishingFrenzy
12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
My crotch. :bad_boys_20:

X2

deanmc
12-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I have made a little wood heater as well. I made mine from a 20lb propane bottle.

leeaspell
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Heres a crappy pic from my cell of the first test run night before last. Tried it in the hut lastnight, had to take my hoodie off, think it was about -12 or so. Burned for about 45 minutes on a few small pieces of 2x4. Take some better ones tomorrow

HunterDave
12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
picked up some methyl hydrate tonite, going to give it a whirl next time i'm freezing my arse off on the ice. Ethyl alcohol gives off great heat but the fumes will drive a person loopy. See how the methyl works out.

Good stuff. I'm going to give it a "burst" with some naphtha that I have laying around. I was going to buy one of those fancy propane heaters for $100 but I'll just end up bashing it up anyway.

*Note to self - pack an extra roll of toilet paper or you'll be shortening a leg of your long johns. :)

leeaspell
12-16-2011, 11:07 PM
i Prefer to sacrifice a sock if need be lol

leeaspell
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Heres a few pics of the bucket stove. Not sure why all my pics are coming up sideways