PDA

View Full Version : Terrace / Kitimat fly fishing

fishpro
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm looking to head up to Northern BC next summer and am most likely going to time it for the Kitimat Chum run, although I'm interested in both chum and chinook. Has anyone been up there before that can give any advice on timing and/or locations? My current plan is to head up to Kitimat in early August.

Thanks everyone

greylynx
12-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Go to the B.C. fishing forums. Those guy are pretty good.

Pudelpointer
12-16-2011, 07:04 PM
I may be way off, but chum are usually the last run of the year in all the rivers I have experience with. Do you mean coho? If so, late August for coho, earlier for chinooks.

Bhflyfisher
12-16-2011, 09:36 PM
The farther north you go the earlier the runs. Chum run throughout late july-late august in that time, same with . August is the best time for all species in that area. Neighbors have done that trip, and its a complete blast.

Swung popsicles on type 3 sink tips take fish, so do egg sucking leeches on the swing.

Also chum like egg patterns drifted under and indicator too... Bring at least an 8 weight.

So jealous of you. I hope i will be doing something similar next year, but i love my estuary fishing for pinks! Its a hard trade off!

Itsmyfishingshow
12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
chum is good in kitimat. but theyre so darn ugly!

bowness
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Chinook in the Kitimat is best (usually) last week of June and the first week of July if you want fresh fish and the main run. As the Chinook run starts to have fewer fresh fish coming in the Chum start to run (around July 20-25). They are a great sporting fish but I don't eat them. I have had good luck with articulated green flies. The hatchery has done a great job enhancing them in the Kitimat. First 2 weeks of August are great for Chum on the Kitimat.

There can be some good sockeye fishing in the Skeena from mid July to mid August.

The Fisherman Guy
12-17-2011, 12:06 AM
The Kitimat is an awesome river, one of the nicest I have fished. We drove way up the Kitimat and had some success in late august but didn't hook many. Go earlier if you want plenty of good hookups. I hooked into a 35+ chinook and lost it from the current and a log jam. Be prepared to battle bears, rain and changing water conditions.

All in all an incredible part of Canada. Go and take plenty of pictures!!

Kingfisher
12-17-2011, 02:28 AM
The Bulkley River has an amazing run of pinks that run up it. The Bulkey runs right through Smithers. There is a great little campsite right on the side of the highway just west of town on the north side of the highway. Can't remember the name. But it was a great place to stay.

My wife and I were there in August a few years ago and stayed on our way to the Queen Charlottes. We liked it so much that we stayed on the way back also.

Have a great time.

fishpro
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Awesome info, thanks everyone! Anyone else fished up that way?

Sea Hawk
12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
If you want to fish chum and chinook you have to be there before Aug 1 as that is when chinook close in the Kitimat.You may want to avoid the Kitimat on the August long weekend because there is a fishing derby then and the best spots can be quite crowded.If you stop at the visitor information center when you hit town you can pick up a map that shows most of the local hot spots.If you google "Noel Gyger", you can sign up for his weekly fishing report which will give you fishing conditions of all the rivers in the area.If you plan to go later in August, consider the Babine for sockeye.Lots of action.

bowness
12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
The noel gyger weekly fishing report is a great resource for up to date info.

rem338win
12-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Uncle lives up there right on the Skeena and he starts in July for Chinooks. He lives 300m from some of the best fishing period.
I have never had the chance....

greylynx
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Uncle lives up there right on the Skeena and he starts in July for Chinooks. He lives 300m from some of the best fishing period.

You gotta go visit him. You will never forget the experience.

A .338 Win is a nice companion in that area.

moose maniac
12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
fished kitimat many times if you want pm me your number i can tell you a few spots and tell you how the fishing has been the last few years:)

Rockymtnx
12-21-2011, 09:58 PM

What you waiting for? You wont regret it!
I have only fished the Kitimat/Skeena once and cant wait to go back.