PDA

View Full Version : Hope None of you saw something like this while hunting !

Battleriverman
12-16-2011, 09:55 PM
I went up to 236 yesterday by Wainwright, for a last chance to maybe get a WT. In my travels , I was going to drive through a well site which borders the top of the hills by the Battle River, Before the wellsite is a dump where things are composted by the people who own the land. As I was driving by I noticed a bunch of ravens , which isn't unusual, but what they were cleaning up was. There on the ground was a mule buck with the head missing ! It looked like it had been cut off very roughly and was nowhere in sight. I could tell it was a buck by the size of the body & the hooves. The animal had not been dressed out !This was probably done in the last couple days. The ribs were partly exposed & there was plenty of hair around the carcass. I had my camera with me but thought against taking a picture. I reported the carcass to the F&W in Red Deer & gave them a map of the exact location of the carcass. They'll contact Vermilion F&W & hopefully they might be able to catch whoever did this ! Hunters- I don't think so ! Why do people do things like this ? What a waste !This is a good reason for our CO's to carry pistols !:angry3:

MSH
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I was pulling onto a lease north of rimbey the other day which is on private property. As I'm driving down the lease road through some trees I see some ravens take off. I stop, get out and go take a look. Theres a carcas completely skinned out and gutted, with no head or hooves or paws, next to a washer dryer set. It looked to me to be a doe carcas from the size. I called a buddy and talked to him about it and we thought maybe wolf, but then I thought why gut it if it was a wolf. At the same time I couldnt figure out why you would take the time to skin and gut it if all you wanted to was the head?

super7mag
12-17-2011, 02:11 AM
It wasn't a roadkill maybe? as they have been cutting the heads off every road killed animal and sending them in for a few years in these zones. I don't know if they use a chainsaw or what, but a very rough cut it is. My buddy called me to go take pictures of the deer his wife hit south of my place for insurance, it was a doe I went next morning and head was gone body was left in the ditch. I dunno who is in charge of getting the heads but they stay fairly busy.

Battleriverman
12-17-2011, 03:34 AM
No , I don't think so . It wasn't banged up as far as I could tell , the legs weren't broken and as I could see the exposed ribs - I would definitely say it wasn't road kill for sure ! It was up in the Huterite colony & they have a couple big dirt & manure piles which they use for compost . This deer was on the ground & they probably don't know about it yet -but they will when they go to dump another load down there. I would say it was somebody hunting ?? that took the head . Anyways the Vermilion conservation officers will check it out as I'm sure there isn't somebody cutting off heads & taking them to Wainwright & dropping them off at the Petro Canada freezer for cwd testing ! The animal was intact scrotum,etc except for the head, so I would say that it was removed just for the antlers. I have seen some very big mulies in the river valley.:)

Battleriverman
12-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Also, this is the only decapitated deer I have seen up there but if somebody makes a habit of doing this , it's going to be hard to get permission to hunt there anymore . I hope not but it could happen ! Furthermore , a person could remove the antlers with a small axe or saw and mount them on a plaque if that was their intention , but the head was roughly removed behind the jaw ,which doesn't leave enough for a good head mount ! The CO's will probably contact me & I'll know more later.