PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the bow

fishstix
12-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Well i'd like to go today in the warm plus 10 degree weather, but thats not in the cards for me. I get to go fishing tomorrow when its forcast to be zero. Im gonna hit the bow. Probably at fish creek park. My luck in the winter is not very good, i've only caught a few fish winter fishing.
What are some good flies to use?

Thanks,

SalmoTrutta
12-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Winter fishing is very productive on the Bow, with some dandy fish, you need to put it right on their nose though, in winter trout in rivers have a tendency to conserve energy and are not as active. Midge and winter stone imitations work very well, your staples such as Prince,CJ's, PT's, and Olives work well too, try drifting a tiny minnow pattern on your rig. Streamers too if you can get them down there.The biggest mistake people make when fishing rivers in the winter is they fish the wrong water, you need to find wintering holes that's where the fish are. Your not going to find fish stacked up in the same runs they were in during the summer. And remember fish are much more vulnerable in the winter, so land them quickly, handle them lightly and release them quickly, avoid time spend out of water, If its 0c or lower the fish is freezing out of water and its hard on them.

Eddy62
12-17-2011, 04:11 PM
was out today and caught 4 nice trout , was not fly fishing but throwing out cranks very productive and fighting mad.... good luck to ya........later:sHa_shakeshout: