PDA

View Full Version : Day of calling

demolition101
12-17-2011, 01:56 PM
So I got out with my new rig today and did some calling. Before I could even get to my first stand I had two huge bucks dart across the field in front of me. After watching them run off I continued walking. Not two minutes later I thought I saw some movement out in one of the fields. I grabbed a seat in the adjacent treeline and watched as a big bull, 3 cows and 3 calf moose all walked across the field and into the treeline. It was pretty nice considering I haven't been able to get out till now this year. I set up on my first stand, which wasn't great, it was a small cut line between dense forest and a farmers field. I know that there are a lot of yotes in this area by the sign but it's super hard to get them out of the cover. I called on my fox pro and jack in the box for 30min with no luck. So as I was standing up, one just on the edge of the treeline right beside me darted back into the thick stuff. I tried calling for another 10mins but no luck. How do you guys call in thick stuff if you cant get them into the fields? Suggestions on what I should do to make this stand better? Always trying to learn. Not a lot of open areas where I can go, mostly bush. Limited open areas of about 100m by 100m. Thanks

Deer Hunter
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
if its cold enough and they are starving, they will come across an open field no problem. imo it hasnt been cold enough so they are more interested in the noise than charging out of the trees for a free meal.

sounds like a good spot, just give it a few weeks of cold and calm weather.

cowmanbob
12-17-2011, 02:42 PM
X2 what deer hunter said. Sounds like a great hunting area.

demolition101
12-17-2011, 02:49 PM
How long should I be on stand? What calls will work best this time of year? I'm guessing distress calls like cottontail until early Jan? And is 20-30 mins long enough or should I call for an hour?

Redfrog
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
They are coming into the breeding season so will be more territorial than usual. I start each stand with some howls. By Jan 1 I only use howls.

I would not set up on the edge of the cover, hedge row, bush, for the exact reason you didn't get your coyote. He will come and go and you likely won't even see him. Get right out in the open field. Sit or lie prone. Put the caller upwind from your position and stay still. If you are in the open you should be able to see 360 degrees. Move slowly. If one comes in, you can move to get into a shooting position as long as he is moving, but you better not move when he is stopped. When you are in the open they will often try to work the edge of the cover. By being in the open field, he doesn't have to come across the field for you to kill him. Take the shot when he stops along the edge.

bobalong
12-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Have you tried a mojo critter, or similar, they may bring them out

demolition101
12-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Well I have my Black Jack decoy. But I cant get the AUX cable to work with it to the Fox Pro Spitfire. Anyone else have this problem?

demolition101
12-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmmm that didn't take long to come down...lol

sheephunter
12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Could be the fastest banning in history! LOL Poor guy....likely took him longer to set up a new email account and create another profile here than the amount of time he was on here.;)

demolition101
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
no doubt...

gitrdun
12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
He seemed very upset at me for checking out his profile. Good ridance, BB416 was quick on the draw. :sHa_shakeshout:

Redfrog
12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys, everyone's tougher on the internet.:)

catnthehat
12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I missed it, someone wanna PM me with the guy's name?
Cat

mulecrazy
12-17-2011, 07:08 PM

huh? explain pls, I am lost.