PDA

View Full Version : Last Day Deer

hunted
12-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Well the season is finally over. I hunted for whitey's pretty hard this year. Was out with shotgun, rifle in Ab and went to sask for 4 days as well. We moved into a new house this year and have a spot picked for a whitey mount so tried hard. I seen a ton of deer. I believe I seen 2-3 bigger ones than this but never had a good chance at them. Sask sucked big time!! Next year I am not wasting the best week of the year heading back there! Gonna stay here where I can set up better and not rely on luck!

Anyway last day I spent probably 7 hours in 2 different stands. The rancher where I go decided it was a nice day and being the last day he said he would slowly walk the willows and bump some deer past my stand. We normally don't do this as we don't want the deer leaving the property during the season. This worked like a charm deer were every where. Hardest part was figuring out which one to shoot. This guy surprized me directly below me in the thickest willows. Had to make a quick decision. Counted 6 on his left side so let one rip. He took off fast and I could not get another shot. The rancher came walking up a little later on the trail. I said stop right there, do you see blood? He looks around and says no!! My heart sank. I thought must have been the willows as I could barely see my partner standing in them. They look a lot thinner from above. Any way I go down there and look and no blood but found some hair. Thought that was wierd. So I follow the exit route and go 30 yards before the first sopt of blood. Man was I grateful! Go about 100 yards into the willows and there he was!

Now is decision time should I mount him or what?? I scored him to 152? My wife thinks he is a little small but thought I would get some opinions. What is the smallest deer you have mounted and are you still happy with it in a few years? It was a great hunt and I don't regret taking him!

saskbooknut
12-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Nothing small about that lovely whitetail. You mount a deer trophy because it means something to you, not because it meets some arbitrary number.

I don't do head mounts, but there are a lot of skull plate mounts of WT, Mule deer and one Elk around my place - I can tell you a story about each one. Only one of them comes close to B & C score but not quite - who cares.

I love the line about scoring my kind of trophies -

"deductions, we don't do deductions - this ain't figure skating."

Celebrate your success.

Alberta Bigbore
12-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Congrats on the buck!

thunderheart
12-19-2011, 07:03 AM
nice whitey

catnthehat
12-19-2011, 07:16 AM
That's a nice deer , but as was already stated, I dunno , putting a rack on the wall is an individual decision from the people I have talked to, I have some friends with big mounts , but a few have smaller racks on them as well because the particular hunt was unusual or really special.
I don't put antlers on the wall, so I really have no opinion one way or the other.
Cat

Jamie Black R/T
12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
only you can decide if you want to mount him or not.....personally the way i figure it out is the deer have to get progressively bigger.

first deer i ever mounted was 156" so thats the number to beat....if it doesnt beat that then i just do a euro or plaque mount.

J.B.
12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Nice buck...Mount it IMO

bucktaker
12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
congrats nice deer..i have a couple deer mounted that are small the only reason was they had good stories to go with them look at them every day and laugh. One scores about 130 another that is about the size of a 10 year olds winter boot :bad_boys_20:. The memories are priceless. Do it.

Rockymtnx
12-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the deer!

ishootbambi
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
thats a pretty buck. score isnt everything. if you think he will look good on the wall then put him there. if you only want one, then maybe wait until you get one that doesnt make you ask the question. if i had the wall space, i would mount damn near everything i shot. i have 3 whitetails mounted....the smallest is 176. i dont regret it for a second. i also have a 182 that is just euro mounted. for me its an issue of wall space.....you need to decide what you want though.

westren
12-19-2011, 11:06 AM
great hunt ,nice deer,special experience....i have a 158 nt i shot with my son...26 years ago ,even remounted...look at it every day..also a 144 shot 7 yrs ago ,perfectly even also shot with same son,it,s rite above my chair and i look at it all the time.....Go For IT................

duffy4
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
A lot of guys would be happy as all get out to kill a buck like that on the first day of the season.

Ever hear of the idea of a 900 club? The total net score of your six best bucks.
If they are all over 150 then you break 900 and are supposedly considered a very consistent big buck killer.

As said above only you can decide if you want to mount him. Your wife has high expectation if she doesn't think he is big enough.

buckbrushoutdoors
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
nothing wrong with that buck! congrats!

yamaha 1
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Nice job, great looking deer.

Ryry4
12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Good looking deer, congrats.

just_dave
12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
That is a beauty.

Kurt505
12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
That's a great buck. I've got a few bucks mounted, even did two myself (125-136), and don't regret mounting any of them. I've got a couple in the 160's I do regret not mounting. If you have the extra cash, and for a head mount that's usually not that much, why not?

NBFK
12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
If it was a good hunt and you want to display your trophy for many years why not! If you have the extra cash its a great way to start a collection in your house!

hunted
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Well decided on a euro mount. I don't have a euro yet and I know this upcoming year will be my year for a 170" whitey for a shoulder mount. Pretty happy with it!

Speckle55
04-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Grats nice buck .. good luck this year:)

David