PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon!

Chet
12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't know why I wanted to get one of these things so badly but they have been on my hit list for a long time. They started showing up in my area a few years ago but I have not seen one in the daylight until now. A nice fuzzy male. I'm thinking a Coon skin cap for the boy. :sHa_shakeshout:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/RaccoonR1.jpg

Also connected on a big male Coyote... maybe a new hat for dad too LOL.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/CoyoteR1.jpg

Anyone know where a guy could send a tanned Coon skin to get a hat made?

Jamie Black R/T
12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
thats a big coon by the looks of it! good job!

this southern alberta?

i saw a racoon near sandy beach last year...couldnt believe it.

Swolf
12-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I have never seen a coon in Alberta. What area of the province did you shoot him?

Reeves1
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Old guy setting Beaver traps on dams near by had a Coon in one trap. So they are around for sure.
Follow any river/creek drainage & look for tracks in sand/mud & you'll find their homes/travel routes.

Ronbill
12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
The wife's uncle ran two coons over on HWY 631 south of Two Hills. And I've seen coon roadkill on the Yellowhead east of Vegreville Trout Pond. They are around alright.:character0110:

prairiecustom
12-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Co-worker has shot 2 in the last six months.Neighbor had something getting into his trash so he set up a trail cam,yep,a coon.
I seen one about 3 weeks ago about 1am when I got a callout from work so they are around!

ShawnM
12-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I've seen racoons down around Lethbridge area. Only as road jelly mind you, but if there's one on the road there's five in the bush. Out of the three or four road killed I've seen most of them were less than 10 minutes outside of Lethbridge.

greylynx
12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Good to see you are starting the little guy having lots of fun.

From what I have heard and read I understand that coons can create quite a mess and can be devasting to poultry operations.

I heard they are worse than skunks.

thunderheart
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
i like the little fellers hat now .. looks like bear cub hat ..:)

riderpride55
12-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice work on the raccoon, did you get him with the 204?

I shot 2 raccoons in PEI this year with the bow. I only brought my Judo points for the crows, and some field tips. I should have brought some broad heads for a quicker kill, I was unable to recover them from the thick brush after the shot. they are bigger and tougher than what I thought. lesson learned :angry3: :sign0161:

sheephunter
12-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Nice job Chad....way to go!

Redfrog
12-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Whack them all. they are hard on birds.

Gilly
12-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Good lookn ringtail! Love coon huntn.

gilly

Rockymtnx
12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Congrats on the Coon CHET!
Hey make sure to post yoru pics in the predetor hunt at the top of the hunting discussion.

Chet
12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
this southern alberta?

yes it is

did you get him with the 204?

yes - perfect for the job

ishootbambi
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
nice job chet.

they are polluting the oldman and south sask river valleys pretty good. they are a pretty nocturnal critter though so they can be right under your nose without you knowing it.

i havent killed one yet, but have had a couple chances. the best opportunity i had was when i ran one down with a big stick. i didnt want to shoot it as i wanted a hat too and thought a hole would suck. they are faster than badgers, that one was as fast as me. i could barely gain on him and had to rely on boxing him in the brush. i ran him for half an hour and finally i lost him in the thick stuff in the dark. shoulda shot him i guess.

packhuntr
12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Right on Chet he will be primed right out! I have been a part of a shot coon, and I ran one over accidentally at night on a stretch of gravel near home afew years ago. My little bro has spent some time having fun with them, he has live trapped, snared and conibear'ed more adult and baby coons around here than most people have trapped mice LOL. We had a buddy, neighbors when we were young, like 20 years plus ago on the Red Deer river that caught a little one and made it into a pet. The thing got big on cat food, unreal. He was a nice coon too but you couldnt leave anything laying around, dirty little bas*ard would steal and stash stuff.

crawfy
12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
A live trap and some cat food gets them everytime. Lots of raccoons down around the lethbridge area.

James M
12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
A live trap and some cat food gets them everytime. Lots of raccoons down around the lethbridge area.

A classmate has shot a quite a few around Raymond with his SKS. Says they're a lot more common than people think. I have yet to see an AB coon, but I did kill a big male in Ontario when I was a kid in my grandpa's corn patch.

Rigby
12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Congrats Chet! I too would really like to bag and old ringtail.

James M
12-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't know why I wanted to get one of these things so badly but they have been on my hit list for a long time. They started showing up in my area a few years ago but I have not seen one in the daylight until now. A nice fuzzy male. I'm thinking a Coon skin cap for the boy. :sHa_shakeshout:

Raccoon rugs look pretty decent too.
http://www.burdickstaxidermy.com/images/gal_taxidermy-071.jpg

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Trapperb99/DSCF4029.jpg?t=1282110095

Rockymtnx
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM

All the sudden I think I like a Racoon rug more that a Badger rug. Looks like I need to get me a coon!

winger7mm
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
All the sudden I think I like a Racoon rug more that a Badger rug. Looks like I need to get me a coon!

You and me both, I have a few rooms with bare walls, been waiting for my chance at a coon.

Is there any trick to hunting them or are they a critter of chance??

Don K
12-19-2011, 03:50 PM

That looks awesome! Need one of those in the man cave...

yamaha 1
12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
That coon rug look awesome...too bad there's no coons up here. Good job chet, I like the look on your little boys face. Priceless.

pickrel pat
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
That coon rug look awesome...too bad there's no coons up here. Good job chet, I like the look on your little boys face. Priceless.

a few years back there was a dead one on the hiway north of manning by twin lakes. (may have just hitched a ride on a truck traler or something as well...) didnt the native fellow that makes those trapping videos up by hay river trap one up there on one of his videos?

super7mag
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I shot one last fall between Islay and marwayne last march. Form and pelt are at the taxi's right now but he is busy with deer heads.

normanrd
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Ii seen 2 on the shoulder of highway 16 right by the Wolf Lake turn off a couple of years ago. The locals say that they have seen them before, and that they come from Sk with loads of grain for the feed lots.

yoteblaster
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Had a coon as a pet for 2 years growing up in Ontario. Picked him up while canoeing,he was so small I stuck him in my pocket till we got home. Got real big(20 pounds at least) and mean as he got older. Also they stink something terrible in the breeding season. Eat a ton of baby birds and eggs. Lots in southern Alberta especially in the corn fields around Taber. Shoot everyone I come across now.

SalmoTrutta
12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
never seen one in Ab before, tricky little buggers though, I remember when I lived in errrrrr..... Ontario :scared: they'd get into everything, they'd slim jim your truck if you had a candy bar in there :)

Scott N
12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
I've seen a few of them around Magrath when I lived down in Lethbridge.

coppercrazy
12-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Good job Chet, we seem to be overrun with the little ring-tailed buggers over the last 10 years,. Shoot a coon, save a partridge.!!!!! My great Pyrenese dog likes them for a midnight snack.

SugarCreek
12-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Chet

Regarding tanning.....I use Western Fur Tannery in Edmonton for my tanning and have been very happy with their quality.....give them a call if you are interested.

Congrats on your coon.....they are very neat critters........Marco

pottymouth
12-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Kool critter, congrats!

cacty
12-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Been on my wishlist for a long, long time. I have never even seen one, North, South, East or West!:angry3:

The Huntinator
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Congrats on the coon.

When I was going to Lethbridge College me and a buddy chased one around campus for a while before he got away. I have shot 7 of them out here in Sask. One afternoon while we were upland hunting we parked at a old abandoned farm yard to let the dog run around. When we were walking by the old shed I could here 2 fighting inside. Called the landowner and he gave permission to shoot inside the shed (it had half fallen over so he didn't care). There was 3 young ones and 2 adults in there and I got them all with 3" BB's from the 12 gauge.

coolpool
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
That is a good sized coon! By far my favorite fur bearing animal. I love the feel and look of the fur. Hunted them with hounds in Ontario back in the 80's. I have even eaten a few ground up as burger. Super easy to skin too! I inquired about providing my own skin for a hat and found out the skin worth only about $20.00 off the whole price. Maybe Alberta will be better.

DAVE
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
we have the odd one around

tullfan
12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I used to coon hunt in Ontario. Had 1 bluetick hound and a bunch of permission.I think I have a pic of one of the bigger ones.
And a smaller one he caught on the ground that decided he was gonna fight instead of climb.
the the first 2 pics are the coon after he came outta the tree. Second is the tree, and the third is the ground caught one.

Cheers
Tullfan

jaylow?
12-21-2011, 12:37 AM
my partner at work is from brockville ont. he says they got close to a hundred over the summer. says the *****s climb the corn stalks and the weight of them makes the stock fall over and then they screw off with the cobs. costs his uncle a fortune every year. way worse than deer. they bait , snare and then shoot them in the head every morning.

Toirtis
12-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I have never seen a coon in Alberta. What area of the province did you shoot him?

South Calgary has a fair few.

rhuntley12
12-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Was going to say the same thing. Huge yote.