PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Newfies

hunterfisher
12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
HI guys, I have been in AB for 3 years and its been great; I have had several hunting partners but none from NL. If theres any fellow NL'ers out there feel free to set up a group and ask some other members to join. Cheers

Kurt505
12-19-2011, 08:53 AM
HI guys, I have been in AB for 3 years and its been great; I have had several hunting partners but none from NL. If theres any fellow NL'ers out there feel free to set up a group and ask some other members to join. Cheers

I grew up in Ft Mac, does that count?

NIKON
12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I grew up in Ft Mac, does that count?

That's hilarious.........:sHa_shakeshout:

Nikon

Dacotensis
12-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I was born in Ft.Mac.
Sure as heck this qualifies me....

No wait,I am Alberta.
Got oil in my veins.

ishootbambi
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
never a seal....bugt i have whacked a few badgers. that must make me an honorary newfie, no?

hunterfisher
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Getting warmer,,closer closer.lol Frt Mac is home to alot of newfies no doubt.

Kurt505
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Getting warmer,,closer closer.lol Frt Mac is home to alot of newfies no doubt.

After growing up there I have a better Newfie accent than a buddy I work with.... And he's from Newfoundland! He gets a kick out of it and asks me to talk like a Newfie, I guess it reminds him of home.

saltbeefjunkie
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM

I'd be interested, as a former resident of the island. Few hands of 120's after a hard day on the go wouldn't be the worst either ; )

greylynx
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I'd be interested, as a former resident of the island. Few hands of 120's after a hard day on the go wouldn't be the worst either ; )

I see salt beef for sale at Sobeys, and have no idea how you eat it.

How do you eat it. What do you eat it with?

steve0
12-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Jiggs Dinner is the best! Boil up a big pot of salt beef, carrots, turnips, cabbage, peas pudding, potatoes all the fixins!!

Google up Jiggs dinner! Its a feast!!

Its also good to boil for a while and then BBQ the Salt beef! TASTY!

Born in Newfoundland, moved to Alberta almost 12 years ago!

Jamie Black R/T
12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Jiggs Dinner is the best! Boil up a big pot of salt beef, carrots, turnips, cabbage, peas pudding, potatoes all the fixins!!

Google up Jiggs dinner! Its a feast!!

Its also good to boil for a while and then BBQ the Salt beef! TASTY!

Born in Newfoundland, moved to Alberta almost 12 years ago!

ive got plenty of family down east that also love their boiled dinners! :sick:

no thanks :scared0018:

panwojciech
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey, Hunterfisher, I am from Poland, we’re…. first cousins …..:sHa_shakeshout:

Badgoodguy
12-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Fish and bruise always works Grand Parents were from Fogo Island

johnheat
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I got quads,guns, and a truck. Born and raised west coast newfie

NFTrapper
12-19-2011, 04:12 PM

I added some to me deer stew I had yesterday. Important to boil it out for 15-20 mins first as it can be salty as hell, but very tasty.

Another good use of salt beef is when you boil the beef, put a rabbit in with it, let it boil for 2-3 hrs, serve with your choice of veg's... wonderful stuff me-son

bobly
12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I am totally surprised that not one of you has mentioned "capelin". Now there's a treat to make you an authentic Newfoundlander. Won't be any game around except hungry bears if you feast on those fish! Merry Christmas!

Badgoodguy
12-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Dont forget the baked seal flippers :)))

SalmoTrutta
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
A little joke to maybe sway favor towards Newfie's with the AB boys before this turns ugly.

Sitting together on a train traveling through the Canadian Rockies were a fellow from Newfoundland , a fellow from Quebec , a little old lady and a young blond girl with large breasts.

The train goes into a dark tunnel and a few seconds later, there is the sound of a loud slap. When the train emerges from the tunnel, the fellow from Quebec has a bright red hand print on his cheek.

No one speaks....

The little old lady thinks: The fellow from Quebec must have groped the blond in the dark and she slapped his cheek.

The blond girl thinks: That fellow from Quebec must have tried to grope me in the dark, but missed and fondled the old lady and she slapped his cheek.
The fellow from Quebec thinks: That Newfie must have groped the blond in the dark. She tried to slap him but missed and got me instead.
The Newfoundlander thinks: I can't wait for another tunnel so I can smack that arsehole from Quebec again.

leeaspell
12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I am totally surprised that not one of you has mentioned "capelin". Now there's a treat to make you an authentic Newfoundlander. Won't be any game around except hungry bears if you feast on those fish! Merry Christmas!

I got a couple packs in the fridge, one salted and one smoked. Makes a great drinkin snack. the next day you cant tell if your hung over from the booze or dried out from all the salt lol

deanerG
12-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow that thread went side ways, I can go forever on Newfie food, but I thought this was about forming a group.

SalmoTrutta
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow that thread went side ways, I can go forever on Newfie food, but I thought this was about forming a group.

once ya get the Newfies talking about food its hard to get back on track . how about a hunting group where you shoot something, have a boil up and eat it??

beermilk
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
born and raised in newfoundland but moved to alberta almost 7 years ago now.

Grandfalls - Windsor to be exact. havent been back since i left i guess alberta is slowly becoming home.

leeaspell
12-19-2011, 10:58 PM

To get it back on track sort of, where abouts are you in Alberta? I dont usually travel more than 50km for any of my hunting. Usually its only about 10-15 km out of town.

SalmoTrutta
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
born and raised in newfoundland but moved to alberta almost 7 years ago now.

Grandfalls - Windsor to be exact. havent been back since i left i guess alberta is slowly becoming home.

hhmmmmmm...I have my doubts

anybody who's from GFW is usually pretty clear on what side of the tracks they are from, there's no mixing the two. I smell a fake from Bishop's !!!! :)

steve
12-19-2011, 11:13 PM
hhmmmmmm...I have my doubts

anybody who's from GFW is usually pretty clear on what side of the tracks they are from, there's no mixing the two. I smell a fake from Bishop's !!!! :)

Gotta be pretty twisted to fake being a newfie :lol:

finner-duramax
12-19-2011, 11:48 PM
cod cheeks and cod tongues and fish cakes.
i am from newfoundland. moved up here 12 years ago with my family.

actually going back tomorrow for a family re-unite Christmas for 2 weeks.

hunterfisher
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Im in Calgary AREA. Yes I can tell you I miss some of the newfoundlnad food but this Alberta Beef is top notch. I have already created a group this summer past called Goosebusters if anyonewants to join in on that but if someone wants to create a group for newfies then go ahead I will gladly join. I do know a few spots to go hunting. The geese are fun but there not like eiders.

beermilk
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Lol don't get me wrong Iam from Grandfalls lol but I have begrudgingly accepted that Windsor is now part of the town too hahahaC

bighornram
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Live in north edmonton for the past 13 years with my wife and two kids,love it in alberta especially the variety of hunting, best sheep hunting anyone could ask for. Grew up on the northern tip of the rock, looking out my window across the straight of belle isle and see the mainland , labrador. Awesome moose hunting, kinda get bored shooting moose after a while.