PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness!!!!

hal53
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I've hunted deer for forty years...and for the very first time in my life...I am glad the season over here is closed finally. Now to pray for a decent winter for the few survivors.

NIKON
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I've hunted deer for forty years...and for the very first time in my life...I am glad the season over here is closed finally. Now to pray for a decent winter for the few survivors.

X2....:angry3:.... So far along the border it's hard to find snow..........

I'm hoping for a mild winter as well........Should help the situation some what anyways

Nikon

livinthedream
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
X2....:angry3:.... So far along the border it's hard to find snow..........

I'm hoping for a mild winter as well........Should help the situation some what anyways

Nikon

X3

trigger7mm
12-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Me too! My thoughts exactly, word for word!

Thinlizzy
12-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I agree x 3!

gunslinger
12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
worst year we have ever seen around drayton area, deer numbers are way down, wehre we always seen 40 deer there was 8, bad bad year

209x50
12-20-2011, 09:49 PM
No deer left around here but lots of elk and we still have two cow elk tags left. Hoping to kill one one by the weekend.

ishootbambi
12-20-2011, 09:53 PM
i sincerely hope that late season garbage is the first thing to get scrapped for next year. so many guys that dont give a schit about the health of the herds along the eastern border going out there to hammer them as it wont affect their home turf. sad to see. hunters have always been the best conservationists....well most of them.

yamaha 1
12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Up north too, the deer numbers are way down. For the animals sake I hope the rest of the winter is mild. The wolves will have a harder time when there is no snow on the ground. But it is the north it could change over night. :happy0180: Here's to a mild winter.

Stewie
12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree…

So far so good with the snow levels now we all just need to do our part and hammer on the coyotes

Redfrog
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I went out yesterday afternoon for the end of the worst deer season I've seen for numbers. I did see a whitetail buck that would have been dead any other other year, but he got a pass this year.
I talked to F/W this morning and mentioned that I hadn't shot a deer this year. They said it's not to late, lots of CWD tags available.

Any idea what their goal is?:thinking-006:

Pudelpointer
12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree…

So far so good with the snow levels now we all just need to do our part and hammer on the WOLVES

Fixed your typo for yah.

Pudelpointer
12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Any idea what their goal is?:thinking-006:

I believe the goal is a deer free zone from the border to somewhere east of Highway 2.

IF Saskabush was to implement a "scorched earth" policy in their CWD zones, then maybe keeping deer populations low in the most eastern WMUs might help; however, nature abhors a vacuum.

Creating an area of very low population density results in outside populations of animals (if at high density) re-colonizing areas of low density, generally speaking.

Deer are colonizers of new habitat/territories, so where do you think deer are emigrating from along the border? From healthy low-density populations in central AB? Or from diseased high-density populations in SK?

(I know, not many high density populations left after last winter, but this is more of a long term policy / management question)

ishootbambi
12-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I believe the goal is a deer free zone from the border to somewhere east of Highway 2.

IF Saskabush was to implement a "scorched earth" policy in their CWD zones, then maybe keeping deer populations low in the most eastern WMUs might help; however, nature abhors a vacuum.

Creating an area of very low population density results in outside populations of animals (if at high density) re-colonizing areas of low density, generally speaking.

Deer are colonizers of new habitat/territories, so where do you think deer are emigrating from along the border? From healthy low-density populations in central AB? Or from diseased high-density populations in SK?

(I know, not many high density populations left after last winter, but this is more of a long term policy / management question)

thats all completely irrelevant. cwd persists in the soil after the host is dead. culling eliminates some diseases like tuberculosis and brucellosis, but cwd is there forever. it doesnt matter if new uninfected animals repopulate the area.......its the ground that is infected. how do guys keep missing that crucial point?

Stewie
12-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Fixed your typo for yah.

Yeah them too

Bushmaster
12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Bambi, you know that and I know that.....why don't our bios know that ?

ishootbambi
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Bambi, you know that and I know that.....why don't our bios know that ?

im not usually one to keep an opinion on the shelf...but this one could land me in legal hot water so ill have to not type it out no matter how bad i want to. the fact remains though that the page regarding it in the regs is absolutely wholeheartedly false. that should cost someone their job.

i should add that i dont believe all bios are uneducated enough on this issue to believe what they are being told from above. i know for sure a couple are not in favor of what is happening, but their job would be at risk to take a stand and speak out. i feel for them. i know most bios do what they do because they wanted to help out in an area they care about....wildlife. i wont paint all bios with the same brush.

Pudelpointer
12-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh, I get it ISB. My point is: IMO AB's present CWD strategy is flawed and unlikely to accomplish anything - save maybe a slight delay in the inevitable.

Redfrog
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I haven't been able to find anywhere that killing off the herd has led to long term solutions.

Bushmaster
12-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree with most of what you've said, Bambi.....I didn't mean to paint them all with the same brush, when I said "our", I was referring to the guy in charge of this area.

CNR
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Its not miss management! I was told by a bio that the herds took a 75% winter kill along the border. Um............YA! Strange I never found a bunch of carcasses looking for sheds???

End the Dec 20 season and cut the tag #'s. PLEASE!!!!

Sooner
12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
North of Calling Lake where I hunt, the deer numbers are way down too. I got a moose in Oct so we have meat in the freezer. We were out all Nov just going through the motions, exploring new cutlines etc but out of 3 of us, my new 13 yr old hunter included, we didnt shoot a deer. Hoping for a better winter so the numbers increase, the does I seen all had 2 little ones so thats a good sign. Going to try and get in there a couple times this winter with the snowmobiles for a wolf hunt and maybe thin out the wolf herd if we are lucky. Kinda know where they travel in the winter, hoping we see some.

duffy4
12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Deer numbers seem to be down some around Rocky this fall. Probably closer to what they should be as we had heaps of deer after a bunch of mild winters.

Any idea what their goal is?

Their goal was to drastically reduce deer numbers, I believe. With the help of "mother nature" they did a great job didn't they?

hal53
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Deer numbers seem to be down some around Rocky this fall. Probably closer to what they should be as we had heaps of deer after a bunch of mild winters.

Any idea what their goal is?

Their goal was to drastically reduce deer numbers, I believe. With the help of "mother nature" they did a great job didn't they?
Mother Nature is obviously way more on the ball than some Bios...to leave 3 zones open for an extra 3 weeks, so everyone in the province can converge there and try to fill their 3 Supp. tags..is plain stupid...it pizzes off the landowners...pi**s off everyone!!!...get rid of the supps. and the extended season!!! and Sunday hunting over here...it has proven time and again YOU CANNOT CONTROL CWD BY WIPING OUT THE HERD!!!!!....it remains long after the deer are gone!....if that is there goal...they pretty much got it covered...pretty pathetic.....

Redfrog
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
No deer were injured during my participation in this hunting season:)

hal53
12-21-2011, 06:39 PM
No deer were injured during my participation in this hunting season:)
X2!!!!!