PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting in the Edmonton Bowzone?

Whitetail77
12-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Is it legal to hunt coyotes in the Edmonton bowzone with a 223? This may sound like a stupid question, but we had a very lengthy discussion here in the office. I can't see any reason why you can't discharge a rifle in the bowzone, and believe that the "bowzone" only applies to big game hunting.

Jamie Black R/T
12-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Is it legal to hunt coyotes in the Edmonton bowzone with a 223? This may sound like a stupid question, but we had a very lengthy discussion here in the office. I can't see any reason why you can't discharge a rifle in the bowzone, and believe that the "bowzone" only applies to big game hunting.

you need to check with the county in question not the hunting regulations.

Thinlizzy
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Phone fish & wildlife. That way you know.

HunterDave
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes, you can shoot yotes in Sturgeon County on private property, some of which includes wmu 248. I contacted the county about this last year and I posted the results on the forum somewhere. Their disclaimer was that it had to be legal in accordance with the regs and there is nothing in there stating that you can't. I never contacted F&W about it so, as with everything regarding regs or the law mentioned on the forum, you should check with them first.

demolition101 might have a better memory about this as he was involved ion the discussion about it last year.

Marlin07
12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I shoot them all the time with a 22-250 or my 7mm at my sisters farm in the bow zone. Never had a problem, had a visit from the RCMP one time because a nieghbor complained about excessive gun fire. The police were a friendly bunch and ensured us that we were good to go.

Moo Snukkle
12-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Spoke to the head of the Sheriffs about this and I can tell you the boundary to the south of Stony Plain. The cutoff is: South of Hwy 627, centerfire, North, rimfire. West of Golden Spike Rd (RR 273), centerfire, East, rimfire. Sorry, didn't ask about northern boundary.

Lefty-Canuck
12-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I always assumed the "bow zone" meant bow or shotgun only in 248...no rifles no matter what the caliber...even rimfire...

I thought the 248 "bow zone" was all about no "discharge" (hate that word) or rifles period....including target, small game, pests, hunting, etc...I am pretty for sure you cannot discharge (ewwww) a rifle, shotgun of any sort in City of Edmonton Limits....I called a few years back to find out about hunting geese and who ever I spoke with said no, bow only.....

I have just always done it like this...not saying I am right. I would love to be proven wrong though!

I hunt the South parts of 248 so Hwy 21 and Rollyview road have always been the boundaries I am concerned with.....if anyone knows about the County of Leduc rules I would be interested to know.

LC

duffy4
12-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I believe at one time the county of Strathcona had a firearms Bylaw. That is separate from the "hunting regulations".

The county is in agreement with F&W in the special deer season in Strathcona so they may have made changes to their firearms bylaw. However they may still not allow center-fire rifles.

HunterDave
12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
...I am pretty for sure you cannot discharge (ewwww) a rifle, shotgun of any sort in City of Edmonton Limits....
LC

You're probably right about not being allowed to shoot a rifle or gun in the Edmonton city limits but not all of wmu 248 is in the city limits. The portions in different counties have different regs (ie. Sturgeon County). Sturgeon County says that it's okay to hunt in the county iaw existing wildlife regs.

Mickey
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I am out in the Ardrossan area and I have a Strathcona County employee coming out to look at my place to make sure that I am ok to shoot centre fire rifles at varmints. Better safe than sorry.

frenchwhitey
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
There is a bylaw in Sturgeon county of NO centerfire rifles. Sure you can hunt them just bring em closer and use a 17HMR or 22WMR. Cheers. Whitey

Just spoke with Bylaw officer and I was wrong you are allowed centerfire in Sturgeon county. Learn something new everyday!! Cheers and Merry Christmas. Whitey

Snowdog
12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Strathcona county has a "discharge" bylaw, basically the areas around the towns/hamlets are bow zones the rest of the county which is in 248 (that is not all of it) is "primitve weapons" (bow, shotgun or muzzle loader). Part of Ministik bird sanctuary is in 248 (north of rr510) but you are not allowed shotguns in bird sanctuarys and no rifles in 248 so i'm not sure on that (muzzle loader and bow only in there?)

Mickey
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Strathcona county has a "discharge" bylaw, basically the areas around the towns/hamlets are bow zones the rest of the county which is in 248 (that is not all of it) is "primitve weapons" (bow, shotgun or muzzle loader). Part of Ministik bird sanctuary is in 248 (north of rr510) but you are not allowed shotguns in bird sanctuarys and no rifles in 248 so i'm not sure on that (muzzle loader and bow only in there?)

You can apply for a permit for varmints on your own land and can discharge centre fire weapons for that purpose. I will update tomorrow when the officer comes out to look at my place to give me the yay or the nay.

bukwild
12-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Are coyotes considered "big game"?? The regs state that the use of centerfire rifles is prohibited in WMU 248 for the purpose of hunting big game.

Mickey
12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Are coyotes considered "big game"?? The regs state that the use of centerfire rifles is prohibited in WMU 248 for the purpose of hunting big game.

Coyotes are not considered big game. I had a Strathcona County employee come out and look at my land today and he told me that I can shoot centrefire at coyotes as they are a nuisance. I asked what caliber I was good up to and he said whatever I wanted.

I was happy to hear that, because he also told me that there are packs of the little buggers out here. They have seen groups of them in numbers up to 15 roaming about.

Cant wait for my 22-250 to get in so I can start thinning the herd.

solocam3
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Get on the County's web page. Strathcona shows there "No Rifle" Zones quite well. Basically close to the Hamlets (Ardrossan, South Cooking Lake, etc. Discharging a firearm, I believe, is a federal rule.

Mickey
12-23-2011, 09:55 PM
You are correct Solo. I am on the exact boundary of that line. I am east of 220. If I was west, I would be in the no shoot zone.

snubber
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Ya Im trying to find out if I can do some yotie hunting around spruce grove.I hunt with a .223.Anyone around spruce know if I can or not.Fingers crossed

Salavee
12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Snubber --- Yes,you can hunt Coyotes and other critters in most of Parkland County. The only exception is the area south of Hwy 627 to the N Sask River between Golden Spike Road (south of Spruce Grove) and east to Hwy 60. That is a NO SHOOTING zone. You cannot hunt Big Game with a firearm in the Bowzone... Yote's OK

With proper permission you can shoot anywhere else other than the No Shooting Zone and the numerous Subdivisions.

slingshot27
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
i am on the boundary of Edmonton in the new area off of 34st and 23 ave. my house backs on to a former farm field. i finally just caught a pict of a coyote in my yard. does anyone know if i can shoot them from my back porch or not with my bow. thanks

pikeslayer22
01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Follow king Ralph's advice! Shoot,shovel and shut up!

duffy4
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Follow king Ralph's advice! Shoot,shovel and shut up!

Did you read the forum rules?

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

You may disregard the laws of the province but when someone comes on here to ask what is legal, it is not right to tell them to go ahead and break the law.

slingshot27
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
i dont mean to be the stick in the mud but i took his comment as what it was, sarcastic and being a smart ass. i wont shoot them till i know forsure that i can.

Lefty-Canuck
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
i dont mean to be the stick in the mud but i took his comment as what it was, sarcastic and being a smart ass. i wont shoot them till i know forsure that i can.

You will want to check with bylaw.....but if you live in a neighbourhood I am pretty sure discharge of a weapon (ie. shooting a bow) is a no no....

LC

Engels
01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Snubber --- Yes,you can hunt Coyotes and other critters in most of Parkland County. The only exception is the area south of Hwy 627 to the N Sask River between Golden Spike Road (south of Spruce Grove) and east to Hwy 60. That is a NO SHOOTING zone. You cannot hunt Big Game with a firearm in the Bowzone... Yote's OK

With proper permission you can shoot anywhere else other than the No Shooting Zone and the numerous Subdivisions.

Are there any restrictions regarding caliber size? Centerfire, Rimfire?

diamond k
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Since the county comes to our place by ardrossan and shoots them I am quite sure that they will not have a problem with a rifle being discharged as long as you in accordance with laws regarding proximity to occupied buildings.