surface2feather
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
[url]
:angry3:

yup...

Pudelpointer
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
"must submit heads of animals that die unexpectedly..."

Wow. That is one iron-clad policy they have there.

IIRC, cervid farmers have the option to not participate in monitoring. Can anyone confirm?

ETA - what really has me shaking my head is: CWD is known to remain viable and present in some soils for as long as a decade. Will this farm (and all others where CWD is confirmed) be fenced off from all wildlife (especially cervids) for AT LEAST the next 10 years?

Somehow, I highly doubt it.

NIKON
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Anyone here thinks this is a border issue needs to wake up....... prince Albert district is half way across the province.........

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) a white tail deer tested positive for the fatal disorder last month on a farm in the Prince Albert district.
The farm where the deer tested positive has been quarantined and the remainder of the herd will be destroyed
Nikon

Headdamage
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
So if they think it has CWD and it dies that is not unexpected so they don't have to submit the head for testing?

Anyway, as much as I hate the government in general they need to get something done about this. Doing away with all game farming would be a good start.

ishootbambi
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
So if they think it has CWD and it dies that is not unexpected so they don't have to submit the head for testing?

Anyway, as much as I hate the government in general they need to get something done about this. Doing away with all game farming would be a good start.

that would certainly be good. you just have to wonder why it is still allowed afetr being proven positive as the source, and the single biggest contributor of the disease.

CLB
12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
There have been 17 cases found in wild deer in sask so far this year.

shedcrazy
12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
There is already 9 in Alberta

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/WildlifeDiseases/ChronicWastingDisease/CWDUpdates/documents/CWD-PositiveMap-WildDeerAlberta-Dec2011.pdf

walking buffalo
12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
"must submit heads of animals that die unexpectedly..."

Wow. That is one iron-clad policy they have there.

IIRC, cervid farmers have the option to not participate in monitoring. Can anyone confirm?
ETA - what really has me shaking my head is: CWD is known to remain viable and present in some soils for as long as a decade. Will this farm (and all others where CWD is confirmed) be fenced off from all wildlife (especially cervids) for AT LEAST the next 10 years?

Somehow, I highly doubt it.

A farm must register with the CWD program to get a licence, but then they can opt out, which limits their export licence.

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/lims/operators

click the search box at the bottom, don't fill anything in, to get a list of all operators. "Suspended" means they are not enrolled in the CWD program.

April 2011 NA CWD Map