PDA

View Full Version : gopher culling

lead pill
12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
New to AB. Just built a gopher rig. I'm in the Cold Lake area and wondering when I should expect to start thinking about gopher thinning. I know every year is different, especially this year maybe with warmer temps at this time of year, but, as a rule, when...? Can there be snow on the ground still or do you have to wait til ground appears?

lead pill

Scott N
12-23-2011, 01:24 AM
I've seen them out as early as late January and as late as deer season in November, but both times we were basking in a nice, warm Chinook wind. I've shot them lots of times when there has been snow on the ground, which can be graphic, to say the least! Usually in the south they start coming out in some numbers by mid-March, but not in real numbers until the last part of March / early April.

4thredneck
12-23-2011, 07:20 AM
The males will start coming out when there is still snow on the ground, if you have a couple warm days with lots of sun they start to appear. Beginning of June is when the babies come out, then you can have lots of fun! Sometimes there will be 6 or 7 per hole.

Jamie Black R/T
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
The males will start coming out when there is still snow on the ground, if you have a couple warm days with lots of sun they start to appear. Beginning of June is when the babies come out, then you can have lots of fun! Sometimes there will be 6 or 7 per hole.

yep june is my favorite....something about shooting into a group of 10 babies with a centerfire that just warms my heart....picture a land mine going off under a marching band....same idea LOL

demolition101
12-23-2011, 08:30 AM
yep june is my favorite....something about shooting into a group of 10 babies with a centerfire that just warms my heart....picture a land mine going off under a marching band....same idea LOL

Awesome analogy! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

buckbrushoutdoors
12-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Haha yep that about sums it up!

timsesink
12-23-2011, 09:08 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! To funny LOL. Head out now maybe you'll get a few! :(