PDA

View Full Version : Which Pack To Buy

Saul Goode
12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Ok, im gonna bite the bullet and spend the $$$ and buy a new back pack. I am thinking of either the Mystery Ranch Kodiak,or the N.I.C.E 7500. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or preferences. Thanks.

echo
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Kuiu Pack worked awesome for me this year and i used the crap out of it ,just a thought...havent used the others so cant help.

Sharp Stick
12-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Depends what the pack will be used for?

Like Echo I used the KUIU Icon 6000 and it was the bomb :0

sheephunter
12-23-2011, 08:58 AM
I've got a Kodiak and other than a couple buckle issues I'm really impressed. The downside is its weight but it carries like a dream. I personally found the NICE frame a bit too stiff for my liking but lots of others love it. The Kodiak is a bit more forgiving but still handles big loads well. I did hear of two guides breaking the frames on the Kuiu packs this year.

Don K
12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I was looking at these packs online. Is there anywhere around that carries them, or are they only mail order? It'd be nice to touch and try before spending $700.
Right now I've got a Tatonka frame with detachable bags. Works great, but could be a tad bigger...

Sharp Stick
12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Sheep

did you see any of these broken packs or hear how they broke? I'm curious if the broke during use or if it was when someone set them down on rocks or sat/fell on a loaded pack. Also if it was the main frame or the tabs the bags attach too?

I cant imagine breaking one of these frames while carrying a load but I do see how it could happen if you fell on the rocks or something just the wrong way.

ironkid96
12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Not too familiar with the other packs you have mentioned but i would recommend looking at the
Eberlestock packs aswell. Little on the heavy side but they are really comfortable and extremely durable

I have a j107 and used it as a hiking pack to do the west coast trail. After that hike i would take that pack on any mountain hunt.

Sharp Stick
12-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I was looking at these packs online. Is there anywhere around that carries them, or are they only mail order? It'd be nice to touch and try before spending $700.
Right now I've got a Tatonka frame with detachable bags. Works great, but could be a tad bigger...

which pack Don? the MR or the KUIU?

Don K
12-23-2011, 09:14 AM
The MR packs are the ones I've been looking at. Haven't looked at the kuiu packs.

sheephunter
12-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Sheep

did you see any of these broken packs or hear how they broke? I'm curious if the broke during use or if it was when someone set them down on rocks or sat/fell on a loaded pack. Also if it was the main frame or the tabs the bags attach too?

I cant imagine breaking one of these frames while carrying a load but I do see how it could happen if you fell on the rocks or something just the wrong way.

No, sorry I didn't but I did personally speak with each person. I honestly didn't get any details. The one fellow who I suspect is pro staff with Kuiu said that Kuiu had since made some modifcations to the pack but he was still wearing a Jansport and I honestly didn't dig any deeper. It was just info passed along in casual conversation that I have no doubt was true. I likely should have asked more but I really wasn't in the market for a new pack.

sheephunter
12-23-2011, 09:16 AM
The MR packs are the ones I've been looking at. Haven't looked at the kuiu packs.

Only way to see one up here is if you know a buddy with one. Otherwise you drive to Montana or take your chances and order one.

Don K
12-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Only way to see one up here is if you know a buddy with one. Otherwise you drive to Montana or take your chances and order one.

That's what I figured. It's just a burn when younorder something and it's not whatyoud built it up to be... Been there and have a few of those 'treasures' in the closet. Lol:sign0161:

sheephunter
12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
That's what I figured. It's just a burn when younorder something and it's not whatyoud built it up to be... Been there and have a few of those 'treasures' in the closet. Lol:sign0161:

Yup, I was intent on ordering the Nice but after a buddy lent me one and I tried it and then talked with the folks at MR, I decided on the Kodiak. Glad I did. Too bad you didn't have some friends close by that would let you try one out on a trip or two.

echo
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
it really is just personal choice,with that being said there is good and bad in every product and personally i think every pack fits and works differently for everyone as were not all built the same,i went thur a couple packs before i found what i was looking for.

sheephunter
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
,i went thur a couple packs before i found what i was looking for.

I think I've said that with every pack I've bought. There will be more in your future...lol...it's an addiction.

echo
12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I think I've said that with every pack I've bought. There will be more in your future...lol...it's an addiction.

very true lol !

Don K
12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I've got 4 packs, of which 2 are still in use. I bought one that felt like a dream, took it to the Yukon and lost about half the buckles... Didn't feel so good with half the straps tied in knots!:sign0176:

drake
12-23-2011, 12:57 PM
you owe it to your back to take a hard look at the Kifaru line of packs too! I haven't hunted with one, but have heard great things about them.

Rackmastr
12-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Kifaru or Mystery Ranch are my choices......I run the 6500 NICE and its a great pack!

The KUIU are nice packs and nice and light, but I've seen 2 of them that didnt handle much abuse and they do need a bit of tweaking in the design. Buckles that wouldnt hold straps in place, some minor fit and frame issues, etc. Nice stuff but both guys I know returned theirs and wished they had something different for a big backpack hunt.

The Kifaru and MR stuff is time tested and IMO is some of the best stuff you can find...

Wrongside
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
The Kifaru and MR stuff is time tested and IMO is some of the best stuff you can find...

This is true IMO. I really like my MR Dragonslayer and will have a MR Grizzly or NICE 6500 one day. Just gotta finish wearing out my Bora80...

Or a guy can forgo the cool OD Green and Coyote Brown colours, save some bucks, and get a 'regular' pack. Arcteryx, Osprey, Low Alpine, etc. Personally, Arcteryx has been very good to me.

Saul Goode
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
I will be useing this pack for a 10 day sheep hunt and for some other 3-4 day hunting trips. Both packs will more then exceed what i want from them. I'm just tired of buying cheaper equipment only to suffer through the season with it and THEN buying better ( more expensive ) stuff. I thought about the Kifaru line up but that gun bearer set up has me concerned and a little confused. I think i will go with the Kodiak, but just don't want that feelin in the back of my head that i'm missing out on something from the N.I.C.E set up. In the end i will still win either way. I'm 5'9" and around 190 lbs; and was wondering if one or the other might fit me better.

Springer
12-25-2011, 05:40 PM
This is true IMO. I really like my MR Dragonslayer and will have a MR Grizzly or NICE 6500 one day. Just gotta finish wearing out my Bora80...

Or a guy can forgo the cool OD Green and Coyote Brown colours, save some bucks, and get a 'regular' pack. Arcteryx, Osprey, Low Alpine, etc. Personally, Arcteryx has been very good to me.

Wrongside i have the same dilemma. I want a new Hunting pack but my Arcteryx Bora 90 wont break down on me...

Skinnydipper
12-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Wrongside i have the same dilemma. I want a new Hunting pack but my Arcteryx Bora 90 wont break down on me...

What's wrong with having more than one??:medium-smiley-035:

steve
12-26-2011, 05:53 AM

I will always have a soft spot for my Bora 90, nothing wrong with that pack.

elkamaholic
12-27-2011, 07:13 AM
I thought about the Kifaru line up but that gun bearer set up has me concerned and a little confused.

Don't be concerned. I thought it was something that I might eventually remove from mine but loved it last fall. It keeps your rifle handy all the time and keeps it out of the way, even when using poles.

Springer
12-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Yes no kidding Mr Spoiled Gear Junkie !!:happy0034:

Hey Steve , You have the Bora 90 as well hey..The only problem is the kitchen sink fits in there as well and i tend to load it just in case you know, Ya its been good and it does not hurt to have an extra plus i have lent it out numerous times.

MW1266
12-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I have an Eberlestock Dragonfly. Used it for the past 3 years Sheep Hunting. It is heavy pack 8.5 lbs. The options that I like are that it has a gun scabbard and expands into a large pack for meat and your gear. You can easily fit 10 days of food and gear. I have no concerns other than the initial weight. It is great to have the rifle tucked away and my hands free for climbing.

nshunter
12-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Eberlestock X2......you'll be pleased.

Jordan Smith
12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Just got a Kifaru Longhunter last year, and I'm really liking it so far. I do like the gun bearer (and I'm not usually a guy who likes the whizzbang gimicks), but it is easily removable if it's not your thing.

Saul Goode
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Came dowm to either the MR Kodiak or the Kifaru TimberLine... Went with the MR. Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Tundra Monkey
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Nice pack....I was in the same boat as you not too long ago (just before the timberlines came out). I wound up going with the EMR with a couple pods.

No more bulking out issues for this dude :sHa_shakeshout:

tm

Wrongside
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
They are very good packs for the money.
Nottathing...:sHa_shakeshout: My money keeps going to other gear though. Guns usually. Did just buy a SeekOutside Backcountry Shelter with a roll-up Ti stove. That one's gonna be fun to try out...:)
Came dowm to either the MR Kodiak or the Kifaru TimberLine... Went with the MR. Thanks to everyone for their inputs.
You'll have a great pack for a long time with that Kodiak. Good choice.

whitetailsheds
01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Went with the Kodiak 3 years ago, and am thoroughly impressed. The weight always gets brought up about them (MR packs in general), but they are a tough pack.