PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Mark V accumark

moosehunter3-0
12-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Still waiting on my PAL, but I'm using all the time it's taking to decide on a firearm. I am pretty settled on the sako 85 SS/Synthetic, but I like the looks of the black spiderweb monte carlo stocks, on the mark v accumarks. Not interested in weatherby mags, but it comes in a 300 win mag. I held one in cabela's today and I like them. They have a stainless fluted barrel on a blued action. I want to hear reviews from people that have owned them.

bchap22
12-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I've had both and love both but sako is my go to.

Rockymtnx
12-24-2011, 04:04 AM
I have always had an Accumark in my gun cabinet for the past 13 years.
My go to gun happens to be one in 300 Wby. I know some guys will argue it but this gun is the most accurate out of the box hunting rifle I have ever owned. You cant go wrong with one. They are very well built and will last most people a lifetime.

My question is if you are willing to spend the money on one, why not got to a 300 Wby vs the 300 Win?

mulecrazy
12-24-2011, 05:59 AM
I believe you are a pretty young guy. and with that I would advise to stay away from the 300wby. They kick like a mule and can cause you to become a very poor shooter with a flinch. My dad had one and I hated it. The POS would jam when putting the shell in the chamber if you hadn't put it in the magazine just right. It shot decent but it was not fun to sight in, and forget about a lot of practice, especially if you don't reload. You have to factor in Ammo price and WBY ammo is retardedly expensive.

A wise man once told me to spend more on your optics then your gun. WBY's are a beautiful gun for sure, but IMO are not practical. If you are looking at a nice wood stock, check out the Tikka T3 hunters. very nice gun at a very reasonable price.

roger
12-24-2011, 07:56 AM
ive have or have had a 300win, 300wsm and 300wby, and the recoil difference is barely noticable, but overall, it is still substantially more than i care for.
re wby; Wby's 54* bolt lift is one of the nicest features you will ever find.
but, like any machined parts, some are smoother than others, my mark 5 bolt slides forward by itself when empty, if the gun is at a pointed 45* or less downward angle. this shows me that the tolerances are tighter without being restrictive. Ive never seen or heard of another gun that does that.

at the end of the day, these are all 'shelf guns'. mass produced, minmum quality control, profit margins, etc. the mark 5's and similars are on the upper end of the 'shelf gun' scale, so there 'should be' more value for the extra money. it sometimes doesnt work that way.
a $1000 gun doesnt shoot twice as good as 500$ gun, you have to get into athe $3000-4000 range before it gets noticeably better than the $500 one.

whitetail Junkie
12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Still waiting on my PAL, but I'm using all the time it's taking to decide on a firearm. I am pretty settled on the sako 85 SS/Synthetic, but I like the looks of the black spiderweb monte carlo stocks, on the mark v accumarks. Not interested in weatherby mags, but it comes in a 300 win mag. I held one in cabela's today and I like them. They have a stainless fluted barrel on a blued action. I want to hear reviews from people that have owned them.

I own alot weatherbys,but not an accumark.My 300 wby Mark v deluxe is my most accurate weatherby on paper!!...Some years in the field its another Story:medium-smiley-035:

anyhow you cant go wrong with a sako in a 300Win or a weatherby accumark in the 300win.weatherby ammo is way to much if you dont reload.

sakogreywolf
12-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I believe you are a pretty young guy. and with that I would advise to stay away from the 300wby. They kick like a mule and can cause you to become a very poor shooter with a flinch. My dad had one and I hated it. The POS would jam when putting the shell in the chamber if you hadn't put it in the magazine just right. It shot decent but it was not fun to sight in, and forget about a lot of practice, especially if you don't reload. You have to factor in Ammo price and WBY ammo is retardedly expensive.

A wise man once told me to spend more on your optics then your gun. WBY's are a beautiful gun for sure, but IMO are not practical. If you are looking at a nice wood stock, check out the Tikka T3 hunters. very nice gun at a very reasonable price.

I know of adults that have become bad shots due to having 300 calibers. In many cases they invariably develop flinches because these calibers kick hard on the bench. My personal favourite for an all around caliber is the 270.

elkhunter11
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
After owning both Sako and Weatherby Mark V rifles, I would choose another Sako.

Saul Goode
12-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I just purchased a AccuMark this year. I like the way feels and balances in my hand. The way it is designed and the weight of it helps control the recoil in my opinion as well. Don't think you can go wrong in either choice though.
Good Luck.

Rockymtnx
12-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Moosehunter, I am not too far from you. If you ever wanna come check out and shoot my Accumark or even my Sako 85 you are more than welcome to.

moosehunter3-0
12-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Moosehunter, I am not too far from you. If you ever wanna come check out and shoot my Accumark or even my Sako 85 you are more than welcome to.

Thanks, I might take that offer some time.

I hunted last season with my dads browning safari 308 norma mag and with a friends savage 116 .338 win mag. I am not concerned with recoil of a .300 win mag. Im thinking some 180 grain nosler partition reloads will make some good elk medicine.