PDA

View Full Version : Hunting under 18 alone

bs246
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Ok so I know that I can't hunt with a rifle on my own yet but can I hunt alone with my bow and my shot gun? Any help is greatly appreciated. I just can't seem to find anything about this in my regs. And I am 16. Again thanks guys for any help.

duffy4
12-24-2011, 06:29 AM
From the "liencing section" of the online "Guide to the hunting regulations" on this site:
To hunt with a firearm, hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian.

A shotgun is a "firearm".

Hope you can find someone to go hunting with you. There are a lot of younger fellows on here that may like to hook up and hunt with you. Just ask.

huntin
12-24-2011, 06:54 AM
From the "liencing section" of the online "Guide to the hunting regulations" on this site:
To hunt with a firearm, hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian.

A shotgun is a "firearm".

Hope you can find someone to go hunting with you. There are a lot of younger fellows on here that may like to hook up and hunt with you. Just ask.

but what does it say about his bow

gunslinger
12-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Ok so I know that I can't hunt with a rifle on my own yet but can I hunt alone with my bow and my shot gun? Any help is greatly appreciated. I just can't seem to find anything about this in my regs. And I am 16. Again thanks guys for any help.

Very good question young fella as my son is 14 now and he wants to go also with his bow.

trouty
12-24-2011, 08:26 AM
a bow is defined as a weapon, not a firearm.

bs246
12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
So to be clear I can go with my bow alone but not with any firearm Of any kind. I'm getting my new bow for Christmas so I'm making plans already:sHa_shakeshout:

justinO
12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I love to see your passion. I remember when I got my first bow at 14. It took me 2 minutes of back arching strain to get to full draw at 45lbs. But I would do it all day. Do you know what kind of bow you are getting?
Well merry Christmas I hope you can get out and shoot it tomorrow. :sHa_shakeshout:

bs246
12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm getting a quest smoke. I went and set it all up with the things that I wanted on it. It cost me quite a bit to but mom can do everything right. My real problem is the I mainly go hunting with my grandpa and he doesent want to go out every weekend like I do. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow abut I gotta find somewhere to go :thinking-006:

justinO
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Im glad you have a Grandpa to go hunting with thats the best way to spend time together. What accessories did you get put on your bow? And I'm sure everything is closed tomorrow, but you could always go ask for permission from a farmer try to get access to a field and shoot at a bail if you can't wait a day. Sounds like something I would do Hunting OCD lol. Probably best to go to your local archery lanes get everything tuned and sighted in first if you haven't shot it yet. You will have lots of time to practice.

bs246
12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
got a quest smoke with a tru glo sight, a g5 quiver and a trophy ridge revolution arrow rest. i sighted it in to 20 yards when i bought it so i might just have to drive out to a field with my target and throw a couple of arrows around. :sHa_shakeshout:

mumptia
12-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Hunting with a bow by yourself is fine provided that
-you have your huntered course done (I'm assuming you do already)
-written permission from your folks that its OK for you to be there by yourself
And a bow permit.

Good luck.hope you bag a nice bear this spring:sHa_shakeshout:

mulecrazy
12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
a bow is defined as a weapon, not a firearm.

Not necessarily. When it comes to entering a provincial or federal park a bow is classified same as a rifle and must be in a case.

bs246
12-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Ya I have all of my courses including my minor fac. Am I've been hunting for 4 years now. So it shouldn't be a problem. Again thank you guys so much for the imfromation it has been very helpful

greylynx
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
And if I see you in the bush by yourself, and I see you are doing ok by yourself, I will not report you.

bs246
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Ok I just dOnt wanna get stuck with a big fine and even worse no lisences. That would really suck

GoodTimes
12-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Where in the regs did you find this lil tidbit?

slough shark
12-28-2011, 12:26 AM
As has been clarified you are good to go with your bow, no issues there. As far as the guns you may want to contact f&w as I believe there may be a permit that you might be able to obtain to allow you to use a gun on your own. Now I'm not 100% sure as I'm not under 18 but a few years ago when I was younger I had a friend who was a trapper (he was 16 years old) and he was issued a permit to carry a gun. Might be worth looking into.

Arn?Narn.
12-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Hunting with a bow by yourself is fine provided that
-you have your huntered course done (I'm assuming you do already)
And a bow permit.

Good luck.hope you bag a nice bear this spring:sHa_shakeshout:

What is a bow permit ?

uplander
12-28-2011, 12:44 AM
What is a bow permit ?

You have to buy a bow permit in order to hunt with a bow just another license like a wildlife certificate.

Arn?Narn.
12-28-2011, 12:48 AM
You have to buy a bow permit in order to hunt with a bow just another license like a wildlife certificate.

So because you use a bow you need an extra provincial permit, but not if you use a rifle?

mulecrazy
12-28-2011, 07:57 AM
So because you use a bow you need an extra provincial permit, but not if you use a rifle?

some anti bow hunters would feel this is necessary as all the bow hunters are killing all the trophy deer in alberta. :)

ruger300
12-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Been like that since I started bowhunting. That was a long time ago from what I can remember.

ruger300