PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in south west ab

winger7mm
12-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I am looking for someone to pm with info about wolves in 300, 305, 400 wmu. Preferably a resident in these areas. I have a little info on 2 packs but due to the travel patterns that I have yet to figure out I need help. I have a couple guys that are looking for wolf pelts as am I, so if your a cattle farmer or otherwise concerned about the wolves around your place or family. We are willing to make the drive to collect a few each. Im in lethbridge, and a respectable hunter. Thanks in advance.

landowner
12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
While we encourage hunters to blast away at wolves during the hunting season. We like to let it quiet down so local trappers can maybe take out a larger number, with a plan.

huntin
12-25-2011, 11:57 AM
While we encourage hunters to blast away at wolves during the hunting season. We like to let it quiet down so local trappers can maybe take out a larger number, with a plan.

asa long as the trappers are doing there job all is good no one traps wolves in my area up north most people have a trap line for the cabin these days. so they only trap the nessary its easy to catch martins so thats what they trap.

Loki610
12-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I will be in 305 for the next week or so. I will let you know if I hear or see anything

winger7mm
12-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Well thats all fine and dandy, other then the fact im not looking to take a huge number or get money for them, Im looking for a few prime furs to have in my house maybe a real nice mount. Rug on the garage wall and two or three for the man cave. I want prime, thats what i want not to early but one that has a great thick winer coat. And if you dont want to give me info leading to the collection of a few wolves great, didnt have to post. Just cause big game season is over doesnt mean im done hunting

winger7mm
12-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I will be in 305 for the next week or so. I will let you know if I hear or see anything

Thanks loki, I look forward to hearing about your time out there :)

landowner
12-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Well thats all fine and dandy, other then the fact im not looking to take a huge number or get money for them, Im looking for a few prime furs to have in my house maybe a real nice mount. Rug on the garage wall and two or three for the man cave. I want prime, thats what i want not to early but one that has a great thick winer coat. And if you dont want to give me info leading to the collection of a few wolves great, didnt have to post. Just cause big game season is over doesnt mean im done hunting

Hey I just tried to explain my personal mangt. plan, to try and kill as many wolves as possible. Thats all, They aren't here all the time and in the winter the trappers need quiet time to study their patterns etc. Its just my plan thats all.

winger7mm
01-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey I just tried to explain my personal mangt. plan, to try and kill as many wolves as possible. Thats all, They aren't here all the time and in the winter the trappers need quiet time to study their patterns etc. Its just my plan thats all.

And its a good plan to kill as many as you can, you get paid and the elk and deer and moose get help with out being predated on, even this winter from what I am seeing outside will not be hard on them :D, But my plan is get a few so I can scratch em off my list, Gotta have at least one of everything ;) wife wont like it but thats what man caves are for hehehe. Good luck to you landowner, if you get any real sweet color phases post up some pics

winger7mm
01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Well..... Im out in the morning to go after my first wolf, unfortunatly my area that I was heading to is on fire and I dont know the extent of the fire or damage so Now I guess im off to the 400 and try to call some of them suckers in. Hopefully I can connect well see, and Ill keep you posted on here.

Loki610
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I did a lot of calling last week and never got any response at all! Most days it was way too windy

Grizzly Adams
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Like coyotes, in this nice weather, they don't have to work too hard. Here's hoping for some snow and cold weather. :D

Grizz

winger7mm
01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Well I took my new rig out today to see if I can connect on my wolf. But due to the blizzard I was hunting in all day I was unable to bring anything in on call or a visual but no luck. I did bring a lynx in which was pretty neat but no wolf. Oh well maybe next time.

artie
01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Racehorse Creek in 402 has been a hotspot for wolves. I have seen them chasing elk there and the cattle range rider said there were alot of wolves in that area. I do not know if a trapper is working that area.

duncan4
01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
did you have anyluck? I am planning the same mission out for the end of this month, got bait n gunna try to call a few in, just wondering how it went? n if your down to saddle up again for another go? or if you in need of a partner.,

uplander
01-06-2012, 03:16 PM
go to the racehorse creek campground hike the quad trail a few km up river you will come to an open valley with low ridges sit on a ridge try some calling you will be amazed how many wolves reside in woods around those meadows.
(P.S you will know when your in the valley it's huge and very open like a grassland.)

winger7mm
01-06-2012, 05:18 PM
go to the racehorse creek campground hike the quad trail a few km up river you will come to an open valley with low ridges sit on a ridge try some calling you will be amazed how many wolves reside in woods around those meadows.
(P.S you will know when your in the valley it's huge and very open like a grassland.)

Well Iv been told a few different times to head out to racehorse creek, thats where Ill be going. I dunno what the weather was like out there today but yesterday was snowing pretty good. Im not sure how far wolves travel in a day or so, but with the fresh-ish snow should make for easy tracking :) I have very little experience with calling but ill be taking my raspy coaxer, and my calf call, either way hope I sound tasty and they come in lol.

winger7mm
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Well I had a fairly interesting day. No wolves although I was on the trail of a pack, the biggest one in the pack had a track that was almost 5" wide, but no matter how hard I tried I could not bring them in. I had two encouters with separate cougars, one was small and the other was a small average. I also had a lynx come in and another cat later in the day but due to the blowing snow I could not tell if it was a lynx or bobcat, so I did not take a shot. So other then my front hub failing me today and giving me a horribly loud ride home, today was not to bad, no wolves or coyotes or foxes or anything else to put on the wall but next time :)

KBF
01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Well I had a fairly interesting day. No wolves although I was on the trail of a pack, the biggest one in the pack had a track that was almost 5" wide, but no matter how hard I tried I could not bring them in. I had two encouters with separate cougars, one was small and the other was a small average. I also had a lynx come in and another cat later in the day but due to the blowing snow I could not tell if it was a lynx or bobcat, so I did not take a shot. So other then my front hub failing me today and giving me a horribly loud ride home, today was not to bad, no wolves or coyotes or foxes or anything else to put on the wall but next time :)

Sound like quite the day, what WMU?

walking buffalo
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Winger,

Great to hear you are putting the time in. You will get your chance soon. :)

Would you have shot the Bobcat?

I had a cougar at 30' yesterday. Ready to pounce. I guess I can sound like a deer when walking, but don't look like one.

winger7mm
01-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Winger,

Great to hear you are putting the time in. You will get your chance soon. :)

Would you have shot the Bobcat?

I had a cougar at 30' yesterday. Ready to pounce. I guess I can sound like a deer when walking, but don't look like one.

I was in 402. And honestly I would have shot the bobcat if I had a positive identification. But Im glad that I didnt after reading the regs while waiting for supper to cook,:bad_boys_20: I would have screwed up big time making the shot. But It just goes to show, Make damn sure you know the regs good otherwise bad things will happen.

winger7mm
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Ok so I have a lil more time to type now, had to take dakota for a run around the block and down the street. So for the cougars, My first calling set up of the day had me on a ridge in the middle of a wide valley. I could see quite a bit all around me. I called for a few sequences, waited, called again and waited. After about 15 min of calling and waiting, I sat for 1/2hr. Just as I was about to call again I seen some movement and gave a couple squeaks. It was a few hundred yrds away and coming straight at me. It took about 5-10 min for it the young cougar to make its way to me. I figure he/she was about 50yrds away before I decided to give my position and chase it off. The second cat was a few hours later. I was making my way down this high ridge to make a set up along side the river. I was maybe 20yrds from where the cutbank dropped down to the rivers side, sneaking my way along I seen some movement in the bushes just on the opposing side of the split in the river (like an island type thing) I guessed it was a 110yrd shot, So I set up my rifle on my new harris bipod the wifey got me and waited for what ever it was to come into a clear spot, It came out and sure enough it was my second cougar sighting. The cat seemed to me to be a fairly average sized cat. I promised the wife I would not shoot a cat, little does she know if a trophy sized cat comes out its going down. But that was my excitement for the day other then digging my truck out a few times cause I wasnt paying attention and got sucked off the road. Happy shooting everyone, hopefully my next trip out results in a wall hanger or mount coming home :)

Smoke
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I would consider that a most exciting day. I know countless hunters that have done alot of hunting and have yet to see a cougar. Sure good thing you are seeing them first though.

KBF
01-08-2012, 07:13 AM
How deep is the snow up there?

Do I understand the regs right that now, even with all big game seasons now closed in 402, a person can hunt wolves all the way up until spring bear closes now?

winger7mm
01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
How deep is the snow up there?

Do I understand the regs right that now, even with all big game seasons now closed in 402, a person can hunt wolves all the way up until spring bear closes now?

Hey KBF you bet, it is the same for all wmu, unless there is no spring bear it closes march or may 31st I dont have the regs in from so I cant remember but its one or the other ;) The wife hates it now that im joining the predator hunt scene, due to the extended season, so now I can hunt for 9 months a year hehehe. The snow isnt to bad in some spots its knee deep. But they got about 4-6" of snow on thursday. Higher up in elevation i would imagine the snow would be deeper, I was hunting in the low areas, river bottoms and such.