PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Advice Please!

RedZippa
12-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I want to add a GPS unit to my hunting kit. GPScentral.ca currently has some great boxing week specials on for the Garmin Montana 600 (reg $500, sale $400) and Garmin GPSMAP 62s (reg $400, sale $300).

I've read about some touch screen problems on the Montana and am leaning toward the 62s (or 62sc with camera). Anybody use the Garmin 62s and recommend it?

Does the AB backroads map addition cover crown land around the Sundre area?

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Blanka
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I use the 62 sc. It's. Great unit.. I loaded it up with topo Canada and I used the birds eye satellite this year during our moose hunt. I found the satellite overlay vey useful when walking through bush and swamp.. I recommend the 62 series for sure. I would also recommend the neoprene case to protect it form scratches. I scratched my old one up sheep hunting pretty bad

SkytopBrewster
12-26-2011, 03:16 PM
I run an older 60cx, theres a reason that it is still available today, color screen, I have always run it on the quad, waterproof, have had it covered in mud, wash it off under the tap and still works great after +/- 5 years. Have a mount in the truck, on the quad and on the sled for it, nice little reliable unit.

Blanka
12-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I run an older 60cx, theres a reason that it is still available today, color screen, I have always run it on the quad, waterproof, have had it covered in mud, wash it off under the tap and still works great after +/- 5 years. Have a mount in the truck, on the quad and on the sled for it, nice little reliable unit.

I agree. I also have a 60 cx which I use for work now because it does not offer the birds eye satellite option. Very good handheld though.

I would definitely do the 62 series

Snowdog
12-26-2011, 04:06 PM
map 60 cxs with Iphone 4 for satellite overlay, may just use Iphone next season with the topo map app i got it does everything.

honda450
12-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Yes the 60 CSX were very good units. Ya might find em on sale somewhere. Not made anymore. I had one that I lost in the muskeg and replaced it with a 62 S, the same as a 60CSX but a few more features.

And to the OP yes I would go with the 62 S, tested tough. By myself. hehe Although if ya can still find a 60 CSX, I would buy that first. Half the price and just as good.

RedZippa
12-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Great. Thanks for the help. I'll check out the 62s next weekend.