PDA

View Full Version : September Peace River Whitetail Hunt

gonewest
12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I am planning on going on a early whitetail hunt next fall in September around the Peace River area. I am interested in hearing from others that have hunted around this area and if they hunted the month of September? I hear the winters and wolves have taken their toll but is it still a great palce for a true throphy buck?

huntin
12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I seen more trophy bucks in central ab then i did around the peace this hunting season

Bound2Fish
12-27-2011, 11:50 AM
My friend was up there this year and he said that numbers were good, not as good as he had seen in the past, but still respectable. And quality was not there. He actually shortened his trip to hunt central alberta with the rest of us.

Bassett
12-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Went around peace river for archery in Augest, in over 1400kms we saw around 10 deer:mad0100:.

bear-fighter
12-27-2011, 03:27 PM
hardley any deer at all in the peace country not worth the trip

nyala hunter
12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
What about moose and elk numbers in Peace River country?

pickrel pat
12-27-2011, 03:34 PM
What about moose and elk numbers in Peace River country?

still plenty of elk.

nyala hunter
12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
still plenty of elk.

Moose?

outdoors forever
12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Moose?

If you can't fill a moose tag in the Peace area, you should take up golf. Its all mostly private land, but the moose are numerous. Try in the Nampa, Reno, Jean Cote area - short drive from Peace River.

Ask permission - shoot moose. Simple.

Yeah, the whitetail population has taken a hit. :(

Mayhem42
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
the numbers are super low on all game, deer, elk, moose and bear. central Alberta is where its at :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Deer have had a couple of tough winters and predetor #'s are up. unless you have family/friends in the area i would stop short of Peace River. just a thought.

nyala hunter
12-27-2011, 04:48 PM
the numbers are super low on all game, deer, elk, moose and bear. central Alberta is where its at :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Deer have had a couple of tough winters and predetor #'s are up. unless you have family/friends in the area i would stop short of Peace River. just a thought.

I had an outfitter tell me that moose numbers fell about 80% back in 04' I believe due to a terrible winter. When I asked if numbers have recovered since he said yes but not fully, and elk were everywhere but hard to find one over 300.

I am a NR Alien so I am looking at a guided hunt in 2013 or 2014. I will probably only do it once so I want to "catch it right" and atleast see alot of moose.

What about trophy bulls (moose) in Peace River? Or is it a "meat hunting" area with few good bulls?

Bassett
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
What about trophy bulls (moose) in Peace River? Or is it a "meat hunting" area with few good bulls?

Saw 2 for sure 50 inch bulls, 1 with a gnarley drop tine last augest! They are their but you got to get out of your truck and get on to some private land!

nyala hunter
12-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Saw 2 for sure 50 inch bulls, 1 with a gnarley drop tine last augest! They are their but you got to get out of your truck and get on to some private land!

Thanks...are the overall numbers back? I read one outfitter report that one of their hunters saw 45 moose in a week and 15 were bulls..this was a 2011 hunt. I realize weather plays an important role as well. What are the chances of seeing 30 moose in a week in Peace River IF conditions are right?

gunslinger
12-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks...are the overall numbers back? I read one outfitter report that one of their hunters saw 45 moose in a week and 15 were bulls..this was a 2011 hunt. I realize weather plays an important role as well. What are the chances of seeing 30 moose in a week in Peace River IF conditions are right?

30 moose or 4 a day is not out of the question, there is alot of good moose country up there, who you going with

nyala hunter
12-28-2011, 08:30 AM

CORRECTION...I went back and read the report again...it was 45 moose seen in 4 days.

gunslinger
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
CORRECTION...I went back and read the report again...it was 45 moose seen in 4 days.

Now i think its getting stretched a little. Unless of course there was a group of guys and there counting every moose seen, We do this with the bears, we seen 110 bears in a week, But there was 10 hunters.

nyala hunter
12-28-2011, 08:32 AM
30 moose or 4 a day is not out of the question, there is alot of good moose country up there, who you going with

Have not decided yet..still researching...you hunt up further north I believe..how did your 2011 moose season go?

gunslinger
12-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Have not decided yet..still researching...you hunt up further north I believe..how did your 2011 moose season go?

Dont do any moose hunts anymore. Cant seem to find time, But the peace region is great for moose hunting, so your on the right track, goodluck

outdoors forever
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Me and a buddy went out for an evening drive this past October - seen 8 moose, 3 bulls, in about 2 1/2 hours. And definatly NOT the same moose over and over.

Theres moose there all right. Some really nice bulls too.

gonewest
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

nyala hunter
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

Sorry for taking this a little off course from your original post with all of my moose questions.

Good luck on your deer hunt.

joker2010
12-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I live in st isidore just outside of peace river whitetail are every where up here and you don't have to be on private land if you have a md map or know someone who has one get it that way if you see one on some private land you can ask for permission people up here usually not to bad that way if you use their land with respect back to your question there are lots of trophy whitetail here in the area all you have to do is get out your truck and do your home work as for as trophy elk there are some also have to do your home work and get out of your truck for them and like the reply earlier if you cant get a moose up here you might as well take up golfing i have filled all my tags every year up here with good animals this year i killed a 400 pound sow black bear two whitetail does a 165 170 class whitetail buck and a mullie doe a 6x6 bull elk with a broken brow tine at 55 yards and never got bull moose draw but got the calf moose draw and got that too my father inlaw lives in the area also and got pretty much the same thing with the exception of the bull elk he got the cow draw . all you have to do is be there do your home work and be willing to get out of your truck and be out on the land rain snow sleet shine the all have to eat sometime everything i killed this year was in bad weather

joker2010
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
a true trophy is in the eye of the beholder(hunter)

joker2010
12-29-2011, 11:26 PM
i forgot to mention i hunted the bow season also plenty of quality animals seen then too

joker2010
12-29-2011, 11:39 PM
went out first weekend in oct on sat morning from eight in morning to eleven and seen 17 moose four of which were good bulls 40 inch plus and we lost track of the deer at about 40 probably at least 15 give or take were 4x4's plus killed my moose that morning and we seen 4 bear all within 10 miles from home if that killed all my whitetail 1 mile from my father inlaws place who lives 7 klm away

Bassett
12-30-2011, 12:00 AM

We hunted August and it was +30. All the moose seemed to be hitting the canola with that being said the 50inchers were in the pea fields bordering a coulee with the little smokey running through! Whitetails I doubt you'll find a monster. Numbers are real low but there must be a few around.

Western honker hunter
12-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Ditto to the pictures that were posted. I have been hunting both mule deer and now whitetails in the Peace country for the last 6 years. Mulie numbers are down in the area north of Grand Prairie from what they were in 06 - 07. However, trophy quality is still good, I shot my biggest mule deer in 2008 and saw a number of 180 class bucks last year.

I had the opportunity to hunt with Bluesky Outfitters this fall and everyone in camp the week I was there took home a whitetail buck. There are some dandy bucks up there, you just have to be prepared to put in some time. Since I started hunting in the north, I have tagged my biggest whitetail and mulie bucks.

There are some dandy trophy whitetails in central Alberta, but there is also way more hunting pressure too. Because of the high pressure, I've found the big boys go nocturnal and they're hard to get. Difficulty getting access to land and heavy hunting pressure is why I do most of my deer hunting in the Peace now.

You'll never shoot a big buck if you shoot a small one. There are some big boys up there, the pictures don't lie.

joker2010
12-31-2011, 10:49 AM
pictures posted do the peace country justice go to this web site and check out pics there if you want it is a link to bearpaw outfitters http://www.bearpaw.ab.ca/ phone numbers and email is Scott Taylor
Box 3002
St. Isidore, Alberta, T0H 3BO Canada
Telephone 780-624-4400
E-mail: Scott.Taylor@bearpaw.ab.ca if you get in contact with scott tell him joe leslie and al davidson referred you to him thank you

Whitetail slayer
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Ya I know of Scott tayler he has no problem selling out his hunts year after year. Consistently seams they are killing 200" mule deer and whitetails. Would love to know how they can pull it off year after year.

joker2010
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
all you have to do is start scouting early and get out of your truck take walk when you see signs put out game cams take notice when and where you see them how often what they are eating etc my father inlaw and i have done the same thing and we fill all of our tags every year lots of whitetail mulies bear elk moose around in the peace country just got to be willing to spend time to study what you are after don't be afraid of getting out of the truck and get into a stand or the bush and sit even in bad weather they all have to eat some time

huntin
12-31-2011, 02:18 PM
all you have to do is start scouting early and get out of your truck take walk when you see signs put out game cams take notice when and where you see them how often what they are eating etc my father inlaw and i have done the same thing and we fill all of our tags every year lots of whitetail mulies bear elk moose around in the peace country just got to be willing to spend time to study what you are after don't be afraid of getting out of the truck and get into a stand or the bush and sit even in bad weather they all have to eat some time

The proof is right here all you guys who get skunked on the chinchaga road your to far North. :scared0018:

albertadeer
12-31-2011, 07:51 PM
The proof is right here all you guys who get skunked on the chinchaga road your to far North. :scared0018:

If anyone gets skunked on the chin they cant hunt moose....:scared0018:

pickrel pat
12-31-2011, 08:05 PM

nowadays theres way more moose in the fringe farmland than way back in the bush.....

huntin
12-31-2011, 08:11 PM

have you hunted there in the last 3 years

yamaha 1
01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
You also have to understand that Scott has to put down over a 100 deer every year and only a few trophies to show for it. 7 day hunts all day and over 100 hunters, his numbers are down from years past. The deer numbers are way down.

bigbuck19
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I went in september this year, saw quite a few deer but not any trophy whitetails.. mostly whitetail does, saw 5 or 6 whitetail bucks, small ones too. I saw some decent sized mulie bucks.. If you're looking for a trophy whitetail good luck, I didn't see any though.

joker2010
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
guess my father inlaw and i must have been in the right place right time when we went out then from bow season until the the end of white tail season then. i personally am not after trophies bacause horns don't taste good no matter what but i know this we seen lots of bucks over 170 this past season we shot two that were at the 155 160 within 50 yards but we spent lots of time in the stands and in the woods almost everyday after work scouting and started hunting friday afternoon untill sunday night seen many bucks big and small alike not sure what part of the peace you all hunt but we hunt locally and there is plenty of game moose deer elk and bear as far as scott's clients killing the deer they are a drop in the bucket compared to what all of us local people kill if you want a trophy bad enough you can get one if you spend enough time looking scott had 70 deer hunters in 2010 30 mullie hunters 28 filled tags all bucks were over 175 he had 40 whitetail hunters 36 bucks were taken and all were over 160 not sure on his results this year he only does 2 elk hunts now and had only a few moose hunters also bear i am not sure about but i seen about 40 this fall 1 of which i killed whitetail numbers are more then ever this year mullie numbers have been low since 2008 moose bear and elk numbers are good

joker2010
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
where do you hunt yamaha 1

outdoors forever
01-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Look down at your keyboard, joker. See the M? Look to the right of that. See the , ? Then directly to the right of that is another key that look like this .

You should use it, I damn near passed out reading your post!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

( Just havin some fun! :) )

BigJon
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I am very skeptical of 28 mulies all over 175 and 36 whitetails all over 160.....veeeery skeptical.

outdoors forever
01-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I am very skeptical of 28 mulies all over 175 and 36 whitetails all over 160.....veeeery skeptical.

X2.

Can't comment on the mulies, cause I have seen some pretty nices ones in the area, but whities..........................:confused0024: hhhhmmmmm.

BigJon
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
X2.

Can't comment on the mulies, cause I have seen some pretty nices ones in the area, but whities..........................:confused0024: hhhhmmmmm.

True enough about the mules. Just seems like alot over 175 to be going thorugh one shop.

joker2010
01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
if you have the lands scott has to hunt on along the river hills and and canyons you see alot of big mullies all the big mullies i seen were after season was over but only a few in the settlement were big ones iseen lots of good whitetail all over

joker2010
01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Look down at your keyboard, joker. See the M? Look to the right of that. See the , ? Then directly to the right of that is another key that look like this .

You should use it, I damn near passed out reading your post!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

( Just havin some fun! :) )

lol never was good at punctuation

joker2010
01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
guess you have to see it to believe it

joker2010
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
a old friend of mine is retired was out every day in hunting season and he was telling me that there was only a few days where he did'nt see a mullie less then 170 but none of us had a tag had to let them go

Tigrr
01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Well joker2010 you must have something against people who live near St Isidore. There was 1000 road hunters around here last year. There were bucks shot that didn't have big enough horns that were left for coyotes. There were 2 does with 2 fawns each directly north of me. All shot. There is a doe south of me with a fawn that will be coyote bait because it has a chunk out of its front leg.
It should be an interesting year next year. It sounded like a war zone last November. Nobody cares that you live in the trees that they just sent 4 rounds at because they were trying to hit a buck.
You sure those deer weren't down by St Albert or somewhere.

joker2010
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
tigrr i must have something against myself then because i live right in st isidore i know there are thousands of road warriors i sat in my blind and stand many days and had lots of chances at good sized animals ruined because some ******* drove in the feild or around the block a 100 times waiting for a deer to walk out hell my father inlaw and i had a few guys check us out with there scopes and even drive right up to us in our blind and had the nerve to ask us if we saw any thing then drive away for all i know you could have been one of them. and if you were sitting in a stand or blind you would have seen more but by the sounds of it you road hunt too nobody will see to many animals road hunting you have to be out in a stand or blind if you want to see any amount of animals. i have hunted locally since i moved back to alberta 6 years ago and always filled my tags there was not one day that went by sitting in the stand that i never seen anything killed my elk my whities in the same feild and mullie at our other stand and my bear at a friends stand and my moose at a friends stand in harmon valley so not sure where you hunted between three creeks and nampa not to see anything but could not have left your yard maybe:mad3:

joker2010
01-06-2012, 01:09 AM
you obviously must have somthing against st isidore and area people by insinuating we are all road hunters

Tigrr
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
You mis-read me in that I never said anything about St Isidore hunters. I said I was concerned about the road hunters from tim buck too. I have nothing against any hunter. I wonder how many more people will be in our neck of the woods. What with you telling the world of the so-called monster deer here. Like I said, the traffic was outrageous last November. Worst day was 28 vehicles in daylight hours. Hunters from St Isidore would know people and have permission to hunt on their land. Not needing to put 100kms on their truck looking for an animal to shoot. Shooting animals on land that they don't have permission to hunt/shoot on. After the shooting stops, going out looking if I have any new holes in the buildings. Fun times!!
In my humble opinion some things are better left unsaid.

TBark
01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
This is an odd thread,
Like Tigrr said, most would keep their little honey holes to themselves instead of blurbing it all over the web. That usually angers other locals in the area.
Unless this is an outfitter based thread.

TBark

Tigrr
01-07-2012, 09:23 AM
pictures posted do the peace country justice go to this web site and check out pics there if you want it is a link to bearpaw outfitters http://www.bearpaw.ab.ca/ phone numbers and email is Scott Taylor
Box 3002
St. Isidore, Alberta, T0H 3BO Canada
Telephone 780-624-4400
E-mail: Scott.Taylor@bearpaw.ab.ca if you get in contact with scott tell him joe leslie and al davidson referred you to him thank you

Now I see.
I've heard nothing but good things about Scott. I would have said that Scott might be able to find you that animal of a life time. Not that any body could possibly find it on their own, because there are so many of them in the Peace Country. But thats just me. Why I mention this is because for the month of November I am a prisoner on my own land, due to flying bullets.

Your welcome Scott!!

joker2010
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Now I see.
I've heard nothing but good things about Scott. I would have said that Scott might be able to find you that animal of a life time. Not that any body could possibly find it on their own, because there are so many of them in the Peace Country. But thats just me. Why I mention this is because for the month of November I am a prisoner on my own land, due to flying bullets.

Your welcome Scott!!

sorry i come off like i did but you can not hide any good honey holes now to many people driving around with no respect for any persons land some people have no hunting manners anymore three creeks is like grand praire in rush hour any more in hunting season same as harmon valley i just hunt on the lands i got permission on and i fill my tags every year or i go to the green zones

joker2010
01-07-2012, 08:10 PM
You mis-read me in that I never said anything about St Isidore hunters. I said I was concerned about the road hunters from tim buck too. I have nothing against any hunter. I wonder how many more people will be in our neck of the woods. What with you telling the world of the so-called monster deer here. Like I said, the traffic was outrageous last November. Worst day was 28 vehicles in daylight hours. Hunters from St Isidore would know people and have permission to hunt on their land. Not needing to put 100kms on their truck looking for an animal to shoot. Shooting animals on land that they don't have permission to hunt/shoot on. After the shooting stops, going out looking if I have any new holes in the buildings. Fun times!!
In my humble opinion some things are better left unsaid.

they are all over in my neck of the woods like i said earlier my father inlaw and i were blind hunting and have had people drive up to us and ask if we seen anything and when we asked if they had the permission to be there they left in a huury we have also had people check us out through scopes and not spotting scopes either walking to and from our stands and blinds way to many people road hunting now days more and more every year

pikeslayer22
01-07-2012, 09:57 PM
they are all over in my neck of the woods like i said earlier my father inlaw and i were blind hunting and have had people drive up to us and ask if we seen anything and when we asked if they had the permission to be there they left in a huury we have also had people check us out through scopes and not spotting scopes either walking to and from our stands and blinds way to many people road hunting now days more and more every year
Wild tv is awsome but it certainly brought out alot of so called hunters that should have stayed in the closet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joker2010
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Wild tv is awsome but it certainly brought out alot of so called hunters that should have stayed in the closet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree