PDA

View Full Version : Antler size on a yearling?

M77RMKII
12-27-2011, 01:14 PM
This year I had a Cow Elk tag in WMU 338. Came across a herd at some 700 yards, perhaps a dozen cows and a trailing spike Bull (main bull was poached according to a local, just for the head). Even at that distance it was easy to tell he was a bull (through the scope) and obviously over that 4" size that would have made it antlerless. So I started wondering, would there be such a thing as a bull with only a 4" spike, come hunting season in the year they develop antlers? and would that be the first year?

My second Whitetailed deer ever, some 15 years ago or more was a spiker. right at the 4" mark, have heard of many shooting "Does" and finding out they had shot a spiker buck, so when it comes to whites, I know that's possible. How about Mulies, their antlers end up larger than whites, can you see a 4" spiker come hunting season? How about a 4" Moose? Do all Cervids develop antlers in the first year?

savage_logan
12-27-2011, 10:05 PM
we found a yearling bull elk shed with just two curved spikes about 18 inches long. it looks like some african plains type animal with the horns going up and curving in like a heart shape. really cool antlers! half year old deer will have little bumps on their heads that you cant see unless their dead right in front of you. and year and a half old deer will be spikers or forkies

elkhunter11
12-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Male elk generally have long spikes, and sometimes even small forks or tines in their second year. During the first year, they generally don't have antlers.

savage_logan
12-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I stand corrected. Elkhunter knows best, as his name implies

wildcat111
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
i have seen mule deer with very tiny antlers , this year i seen one and the spikes counldn't of been 2 inchs long.

slough shark
12-27-2011, 11:50 PM
elk hunter has it right animals generally don't grow antlers until they are 1 1/2 years old when they are a fawn or a calf (6 months give or take) I have never seen antlers. As far as mule deer I would wager a bet that a fairly high percentage here have either done it or seen someone do it, shoot a 1 1/2 year old spiker, bigger ears and often times the longer distance shots take at mule deer make it happen more often that we care to admit. I think the safest year a mule deer buck has is when he is 2 1/2, antlers big enough to see clearly what he is however not big enough for most guys to shoot.