PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Ken Aka Savage

gunslinger
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Guys i have a issue that i need help on.

When i first signed up on alberta outdoorsman along time ago i met a guy that was the toughest son of a bi$ch i have ever seen, KEN AKA SAVAGE.

He fought the deadly cancer battle with everyone of us on ao for along time till he finally couldnt fight anymore and passed on. He even posted from his bedside and there wasnt one of us that didnt shed a tear reading his posts, Hell i get choked up just writing this.

Well when things got tough and financially tough for the family there was a bunch of us on here that woudl do anyting to help out, so there was a Gun of kens that was put up for sale, and how it went was we bought tickets on the gun and the gun would go to the guy whos name is pulled.

Well i won the gun, Fellas i have had the gun locked away since the day i had it, cleaning it all the time, it is a 300 mag ruger #1.

When things are hard and im down and out hunting in the blizzard or rain or lost or froze or what have you i think of ken and how damn tough he was, i would blink my eyes wipe the tears away and pick my head up after that.

I no longer want to hold onto the gun, i have never shot it and never will, heck i dont even want to take it hunting as i know this was one of kens favorite guns.

I want to help the cancer foundation in some way with this rifle. Can you fellas help me out here, i really dont know how to go about this and i just want to make sure the right thing happens with Kens Gun.

Ken07AOVette
12-27-2011, 08:18 PM
You could hold an online auction, we have done that before. Set a minimum starting bid if you want, and set a date and time for the end. I would put in a clause that says 'no last second sniping' which has been a problem in the past.

Also, legally you can auction it, but you can not have or hold a raffle in Alberta without a license.

Great cause!

James M
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe wild tv could raffle it for you.

Rackmastr
12-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Online auction would be a good bet, or else a raffle on here would sure raise some good money....

HunterDave
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I want to help the cancer foundation in some way with this rifle. Can you fellas help me out here, i really dont know how to go about this and i just want to make sure the right thing happens with Kens Gun.

Why not just sell it on the AO Buy & Sell, making it available to a member who may have a sentimental attachment to it, and then donate the money to the charity of your choice?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Why not just sell it on the AO Buy & Sell, making it available to a member who may have a sentimental attachment to it, and then donate the money to the charity of your choice?

If you knew Gunslinger and knew Ken , It goes deeper then a simple buy and sell . Just my opinion . I meet Ken with Kevin (redneckposse ) first year I started hunting . Well that guy had me hold every rifle inside of Wholesale sports . Super nice guy . He is defenetly one person that is sadly missed on this forum aswell as others . SOme of have been here for along time , or have followed a long time .

I like the idea of a set out Auction General Discution similar to the pay it forward type pages , but make it for only the rifle set it up for 10 days or something . Start the bidding off at a generious amount , after all that Rifle belonged to a Damn good man . Good on ya Gunsliger .

Rockymtnx
12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Pat whatever help you need here on the forum to assist you in you good deed let me know.

steve
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Wasn't fortunate enough to meet Ken. I will start her off at $1000

echo
12-27-2011, 09:55 PM
sell a limited amount of tickets say 50 @ $100 each 100 dollars is a good price for a rifle and in the end you make a generous donation 50 tickets should not be a hard sell on this forum... just my thoughts.

Albertadiver
12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I never knew Ken, he passed shortly before I joined the forum. A lot of the folks here still speak very highly of this fellow.

Just my .2 cents. A donation to the cancer foundation in some form would be a great thing to do in his honor.

BrownBear416
12-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Great Man for sure..

I will help with whatever you guys decide is best

Pixel Shooter
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I think you would raise more money raffling tickets then selling on auction or buysell. Like echo's idea of selling 50 or 100 tickets here and donating all proceeds. I was not fortunate enough to know Ken but based on this thread alone, it was my loss

Drop_Tine
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Im in for a raffle, great cause for sure!

heybert
12-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I'd go with the raffle too, but no cap. Sell as many tickets possible for a certain period of time to maximize the amount collected.

heybert
12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
By the way Pat, thanks for bringing up Ken again. He is missed by many of us and since Tuc is no longer here, he would second it for sure.

catnthehat
12-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I bought that rifle from Donny bear, with the intention of using it as for another one of my projects, but decided to donate it by raffling it and giving the money to Ken.
Gunslinger was the lucky winner, and $1,000 went to ken who bought a lap top with it.
Although I wanted it to be an anonymous donation , somehow he found pout who had done it , and I ended up phoning him.

I never met him in person but first talked with him on the 24 hr. campfire when he found out I lived up here - we have a mutual friend as it turned out.
However, we talked continually on the 'fire and here, and he was without a doubt the most determined man I have ever had the pleasure of knowing , even though never in person.
I saw a bid for $1,000 , I'll big $1,100 if the money is going to someone that needs it!:)
if it's a raffle , I'm in!
Cat

lilsundance
12-28-2011, 01:56 AM
never lived. At least not one I have met. On the old board we had a chat room and he was in it a lot talking to new hunters and was always willing to help. He was always open to a phone call when one of us was in his area and he was willing to point you in the right direction. That is if he didn't just say follow me if you have the guts to.
I went into the The University Hospital after one of his operations and spent about an hour talking to him and gave him my just arrived AO magazine and a firearms magazine I had stopped and picked up for him. He is sadly missed on this board, and I am sure others.
Good on you Pat for doing this.

If anyone has a pic of Ken, or any other member that has passed please get ahold of me by pm

Donny Bear
12-28-2011, 05:43 AM
I to was impacted by Ken he was an exceptional man we shared some good phone time and had a chance to get to know each other a little. I know he was tough but I also know that he had a great faith in God! He was fearless and even though we were only friends by phone he had a life long impact on me.

I think the raffle is a good Idea should generate the best capital return for a good cause Ken would always have supported what brings us together as outdoors men and women!

gunslinger
12-28-2011, 07:27 AM
never lived. At least not one I have met. On the old board we had a chat room and he was in it a lot talking to new hunters and was always willing to help. He was always open to a phone call when one of us was in his area and he was willing to point you in the right direction. That is if he didn't just say follow me if you have the guts to.
I went into the The University Hospital after one of his operations and spent about an hour talking to him and gave him my just arrived AO magazine and a firearms magazine I had stopped and picked up for him. He is sadly missed on this board, and I am sure others.
Good on you Pat for doing this.

If anyone has a pic of Ken, or any other member that has passed please get ahold of me by pm

The one picture that i will never forget is the one where when i think ken knew it was close, He took his wife and daughter to banff or jasper i beleive adn took those picture up on that rock.. He was holding them two and then posted his trip on here for us too see.

Or of course his jeeps, man he loved his jeeps.

Cat i was wondering how that all worked there, I up till last night thoguht kens wife did that without him knowing.

rhuntley12
12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
I'd vote for a raffle too, with the stipulation that if ever was to be sold would have to be put back on here.

Alberta Bigbore
12-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Ken was an awesome individual. Made alot of people realize the important things about life.

Jamie Black R/T
12-28-2011, 08:08 AM
good old Ken....No Quit, No Surrender!

I like the raffle idea....but if it happens as an auction with all proceeds to charity i will put in a bid of 1500.00

Rest peacefully Ken....you are dearly missed :(

gunslinger
12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
good old Ken....No Quit, No Surrender!

I like the raffle idea....but if it happens as an auction with all proceeds to charity i will put in a bid of 1500.00

Rest peacefully Ken....you are dearly missed :(

Yup that was his saying for sure, no quit no surrender

catnthehat
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Cat i was wondering how that all worked there, I up till last night thoguht kens wife did that without him knowing.
They were a bit tight for money IIRC, and there was an issue with more than $1,000 just "showing up"!:thinking-006::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken was a great man, a lover of his family,Jeeps, God, and single shot rifles - who couldn't like him!!:)
Cat

Rockymtnx
12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
The auction has started.
Please visit the following thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1228181#post1228181