PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your snowmobile when ice fishing?

newguy
12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to ice fishing southern alberta, been to a few places over the last couple years. I'm wondering if anyone uses their snowmobile to tow gear to and from their set ups? F&W and SRD haven't been helpful at all answering questions...

The machine is insured and plated. My insurance guy tells me I'm even insured if I go for a swim. :scared0015:

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

chubbdarter
12-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Yup....a must when the snow is deep or long runs over thinner ice. If your paper work is up to speed your good to go.

lake side
12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, I use mine all the time for ice fishing. I can not see why you wouldn't be allowed.

FYI-I will be using my quad this weekend as there is little too no snow at the lake I will be fishing.

Lake side........

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Not snow mobile but I use my quad , Truck sits on shore , I wont be that guy that puts his truck thru the ice , Quad maybe , but truck nope . got me my lil redneck sled that I put my rubbermaid box on auger , chair and all my other good stuff , but I think its time for something a little better . Im thinking a UFA Calf sled , and then rig something up for soft over , then a guy could cruse across the lake rather then dilly daddle , mind you - 20 on a quad isnt a fun thing .

HunterDave
12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
No, I do not use my snowmobile to go icefishing because......THERE"S NO SNOW!!!!! :angry3:

But yes, you can sled onto the ice on the lakes around here. There are several fishing spots that I can sled to right from home. :)

javlin101
12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
If it ever snows I will use my 2012 Skandic 550F but mother nature is playing a cruel joke on my this seaon. Will use the quad in the mean time. it's like ice fishing on a hockey rink out there so bought a pair of ice cleats for the first time.

Jiffy10
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I would love to have a Quad or Snowmobile this year !!

When I was younger we used the sleds to go everywhere and
punched holes all over hells half acre !! That was fun and
we never seemed to get to cold. Drill a hole and sit on the
seat of the sled and catch a few and move on..... repeat

Now I sit in my Heated / insulated hut that needs a truck to
deliver it on the ice. comforts of home !!!

so ... a hopefully in a couple of weeks and a couple of more inches
of ice and I'll be back on my game.

See ya'll on the ice.

Kim473
12-29-2011, 05:14 AM
No.

Too hard to get it down the hole.

dragon
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
as far as legality goes your ok. find out what county your fishing in and check their website for local rules.

In leduc county where I fish it is legal to drive on roads as long as
your on the right hand side
working head light/tail light
registered, plated, insured
helmet
stay below 30 kmh or posted limit (on roads or ditches).

As far as on the ice it is perfectly legal as it is a public place!

Keep in mind that highways fall under provincial ruling and you are not allowed to ride in the ditches or on the roads. you are allowed to cross them to get from point a to b though...

http://www.saferoads.com/vehicles/snowmobile.html

zepf
12-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Right now I m using a quad but if the snow gets too deep I have an elan I use.Sometimes take the truck on too....

newguy
12-31-2011, 05:02 PM
thanks for the input!!