PDA

View Full Version : Non-hunters = Scavengers?

huntinstuff
12-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I was frying up some venison for Lean Mean and I the other morning and we got talking about non-hunters/anti-hunters etc etc.....

Somewhere in the conversation, Lean Mean says "Guys that don't hunt are like coyotes. They eat what someone else killed."

Take it to the basics, he is right............I guess some days, I'm a scavenger too.

Rigby
12-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm sure most of the non hunters won't agree, but it's true!

Grizzly Adams
12-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Unless you're a Vegetarian. Then, you're a Sheep. :D

Grizz

thunderheart
12-28-2011, 07:34 AM
we are all scavangers .. opportunists in the food chain :) but some are hunters too. its all good .. we all buy chicken or a turkey even lamb chops or bacon so i agree with cat ....

hunter gatherers yup some just hunt and gather in the grocery stores for a deal while others the bush for a deal ..i take wild anyday

Taco
12-28-2011, 08:01 AM
No I pay someone to do the abattoir work for me. After 1000+ days of huntin' over 36 or so yrs of shootin' my own game I got tired of the BS involved and hung'em up

Jamie Black R/T
12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
No I pay someone to do the abattoir work for me. After 1000+ days of huntin' over 36 or so yrs of shootin' my own game I got tired of the BS involved and hung'em up

scavenger! :scared0018:

Rigby
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Sad to hear Taco. Hopefully that will never be the reason I put everything away. I hope I never put it away but I guess only time will tell.

HunterDave
12-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I call some of my neighbours human magpies.....lol. When I come home with a moose they are over to look faster than magpies on a dead carcass. Some even drop subtle hints about not having had a moose steak for awhile. So, yeah, some people are like scavengers. :)

walking buffalo
12-28-2011, 11:17 AM
There is a popular vegetarian restaurant in Calgary called The Coup.

The overhead sign is a large steel Magpie.

I always think of the habits and diet of Magpies when I walk past the place.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

SkytopBrewster
12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
haha, SCAVENGERS, awesome, can't wait to use that on the anti hunter sister in law!

CaberTosser
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I can see that, but we could also call ourselves pack animals; where the whole pack shares in the kill. The non-hunting engineers and accountants who work at the oil companies have in effect a small part in our hunts by helping accommodate our means of transport. As do the people at who mine the materials to fashion our weapons. It's a pack effort, even though they're not seen at the hunt.....

Just throwing another perspective at the concept:)

I often note that the non-hunter carnivores subcontract their killing; so it's kind of weasel-ey..... much like the husband/wife who hires a hit-man to off their spouse as they don't have the stones to do it themselves:lol:

If somebody on one hand claims hunting is savage or somehow beneath them, while on the other hand they are paying for this same service, they had best look in the mirror.

catnthehat
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I was frying up some venison for Lean Mean and I the other morning and we got talking about non-hunters/anti-hunters etc etc.....

Somewhere in the conversation, Lean Mean says "Guys that don't hunt are like coyotes. They eat what someone else killed."

Take it to the basics, he is right............I guess some days, I'm a scavenger too.

HOLY CRAP!! That is about as profound a statement as i have EVER heard or seen for quite some time!!:)
Think about it for a second, a predator kills, a scavenger eats what a predator has killed!:thinking-006:
Pretty basic, isn't it?
I'd MUCH rather be thought of as a predator than a scavenger, but there are many times that I too ( like most people) am a scavenger - :sEm_oops2:
Cat

catnthehat
12-28-2011, 10:46 PM
There is a popular vegetarian restaurant in Calgary called The Coup.

The overhead sign is a large steel Magpie.

I always think of the habits and diet of Magpies when I walk past the place.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
I wonder if the people that eat inside that place actually know the habits of the Magpie - chances are, NOPE!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Red Bullets
12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
If God didn't want us to eat animals , he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Grizzly Adams
12-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I wonder if the people that eat inside that place actually know the habits of the Magpie - chances are, NOPE!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Probably listening to too much, Ian Tyson. :lol:

Grizz