PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a first timer

s_erickson
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Well my wife bought my a couple ice fishing rods, an 8" auger, a 2 man tent and told me to go ice fishing. Ive done lots of fly fishing and caught walleye and pike for the first time this year, but i have no idea what to do when it comes to ice fishing. I was thinking of hitting up winagimi or something like that. any suggestions for techniques and/or bait to use. thanks

tara_13
12-28-2011, 01:42 PM
wow.. your wife is really nice!
Your a lucky guy !

Good luck !

s_erickson
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
first timer luck. This is my first fish caught through the ice. Definetly a different way to fish. Pretty happy doing it though and going to be heading out tommorow for sure.

tara_13
12-29-2011, 10:16 PM
OMG !! thats awesome !

jessedm
12-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow, someone hasn't jumped on you to use the search function yet???

HunterDave
12-30-2011, 01:48 AM
...but i have no idea what to do when it comes to ice fishing.

first timer luck. This is my first fish caught through the ice. Definetly a different way to fish. Pretty happy doing it though and going to be heading out tommorow for sure.

It certainly looks like you know what you're doing......Congrats! :sHa_shakeshout:

What advice would you give someone that wanted to catch a big trout like that one? :)

lovefishin
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow great job on landing that fat one. I hope you learn the love of the hard water.

Willowtrail
12-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Great looking trout bud.

To give a few tips is pretty straight forward. Depends on what your targeting.

For Walleye, I use just a jighead with a minnow, drill holes over structure like rocks and drop offs.

For Pike, Same lure or a quickstrike rig, http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=77516&highlight=quick+strike
Use tipups since you can have 2 lines in the winter. Search WayneChristie or Geezle posts for pike tips.

Trout, Small jigs or spoons, use bait where allowed, velvetta cheese is a favorite, (I've never tried), powerbait, maggots, minnows or parts of, corn some suggest, (big argument on that one though)

Whitefish and Perch, Small wireworms, wetaskiwins, castmasters are a few lures. Maggots for perch or whites but sometimes no bait for whites.

Lake trout, I can't give advice till I catch some myself.

Burbot, Stinky bait on bottom, same lures as pike. I have caught in the middle of the day at Lac Ste Anne but others have great success at night with Glowing jig heads and real stinky bait.

Hope this helps you get hooked to ice fishing. Most other techniques still apply, like depth, structure, weeds and such as would in the summer.

Anyone else care to chime in????

Again, great looking fish.

andreis45
12-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Well my wife bought my a couple ice fishing rods, an 8" auger, a 2 man tent and told me to go ice fishing. Ive done lots of fly fishing and caught walleye and pike for the first time this year, but i have no idea what to do when it comes to ice fishing. I was thinking of hitting up winagimi or something like that. any suggestions for techniques and/or bait to use. thanks

Can you please give me tip on your rig. I am going fising tomorrow at hermitage. I have no idea how to setup my rig for maximum potential.

Thanks,