PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Coyotes

Sneeze
12-28-2011, 02:18 PM
A question for anybody that has ever seen coyotes attack a large breed dog.

The last few times visiting my parents who live on an acreage in nowhere British Columbia, I have been sipping morning coffee to watch coyotes come right into the yard and start howling at... or stalking in on my two labs.

They have lots of experience with roosters, but none with Wild E Coyote. Typically, I run outside and the Yotes take off. I am worried one day I won't notice them come into the yard and/or I will let the dogs out in the middle of the night and they will be out there waiting for them.

So my question is... a lab doesn't have a killer instinct however can usually hold their own in a fight. When you pit a 80 pound lab against 2, 30-40 pound yotes... How does it usually end?

My immediate thought is the Coyotes would rip the dog to pieces. Has anybody seen it first hand? Do coyotes bite to kill when they fight?

The next question is, aside from lead poisoning the yote... any suggestions how to teach your dog not to take the bait and run into a fight it can't win?

Thanks for the suggestions.

artie
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Larger dogs have been attacked by coyotes in Nose Hill Park in Calgary. One lady I met was terrified when a coyote showed up as she said they have very sharp ripping teeth. She had to take her dog to the vet for many stiches. Smaller dogs have been killed by coyotes. Coyotes play this game where one coyote will lure the dog into chasing him and leads him right to a pack of waiting coyotes. One fellow in the park had a large dog that killed a coyote. He reported it to bylaw who came and picked up the dead coyote and then gave the fellow a life time ban for that dog in the dog parks. It's O.K for coyotes to kill your dog but not O.K for your dog to kill a coyote. My brother who has labs on a small acerage will put the dogs in the garage at night if the coyotes are coming too close.

Northcountry
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I've had the same issue on my quarter now for awhile. I have two large mutts that are always being harassed by them. It's always only one that comes out of the bush barking, yipping, etc but there are several around as I here them howling all the time. The dogs will chase him back into the bush then stop and bark and then the bugger just comes back. It's like they are teasing the dogs or trying to lure them in the bush. As soon as I make an appearance with the 22-250 they immediately run. I actually just set up a bait at the back end of my quarter a few days ago hoping to deter them with some lead!!

wwbirds
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Domestic dogs rarely if ever fight to the death. One or the other combatant wil go into submissive posture when they have had enough which should signal an end to the fight if two dogs are going at it. I beleive the coyote will kill the dog when this happens in a fight as they are not trying to establish who is the dominant dog in the pack but rather who eats who.

We are in the country and while we have never witnessed a dog/coyote fight there are never any stray dogs around? neighbors called me a couple weeks ago to report a lost black lab in their yard that spooked when they went outside. None of us have seen that dog since that night.

I have heard of german shepherds, collies and irish setters being lured by one coyote and having to fight 6 of them when they followed the single animal out of the security of their own yard. It is not a fair fight so lab has no chance.

Mike_W
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Where I grew up in old glenora in Edmonton we lived along groat road ravine and one year the coyotes were thick many cats and small dogs went missing.
Once a coyote came up our long front driveway about half way my lab knew better and didn't approach the dog which was odd cause any other dog would have been greated (nicely).

It was about a week later we had a lady jogging infront of our house and two coyotes attacked her golden retriever. The dog lived but only because a passer by stopped and had to scare the dogs off.

As for the yotes around the acerage ....lead poison them before your dog gets it.

soucy
12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
It really depends on the dog Its self. i personally have two german shepherds on male and one female. My male in his younger day was around 110 and just solid, he has had may encounters with coyotes not more then two at a time that i have ever seen. he has killed one that i know of for sure and roughed up many more. he would end up with a few minor cuts here and there but nothing major enough to be taken to the vets. where i live there are a lot of feedlots surrounding me and given that the coyotes have plenty of food from the feed lots. They are bigger then most i have seen. Don't get me wrong i don't encourage my dogs to fight, but they know to hold there own

rhuntley12
12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
When sister in law watched our house 2 weeks ago she said 2 yotes were at our fence trying to get our little one.(Shiba Inu) And weren't scared or anything, our Pyrenees was going crazy trying to get out to them. She had to throw a piece of wood at them to get them to run.

Cut to last week when I heard our little one growling outside(She has a different bark to when something is really there) I grabbed shotgun and a couple shells thinking they'd be long gone. They weren't. Unfortunately I didn't grab buckshot so only scared the crap out of them. Haven't been back though.

Usually always 1 lure and bunch back in bushes, but these two are alone as it's empty where they were. Our golden and shiba would probably be lunch easily. Neighbor has a friend who has sheep and their one pyr ripped up two coyotes in the middle of the night and who knows how many there were.

Also at neighbors for boxing day, his brother mentioned coyotes killed his llama over the summer too, where the llama used to keep them out.

riden
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
When sister in law watched our house 2 weeks ago she said 2 yotes were at our fence trying to get our little one.(Shiba Inu) And weren't scared or anything, our Pyrenees was going crazy trying to get out to them. She had to throw a piece of wood at them to get them to run.

Cut to last week when I heard our little one growling outside(She has a different bark to when something is really there) I grabbed shotgun and a couple shells thinking they'd be long gone. They weren't. Unfortunately I didn't grab buckshot so only scared the crap out of them. Haven't been back though.

Usually always 1 lure and bunch back in bushes, but these two are alone as it's empty where they were. Our golden and shiba would probably be lunch easily. Neighbor has a friend who has sheep and their one pyr ripped up two coyotes in the middle of the night and who knows how many there were.

Also at neighbors for boxing day, his brother mentioned coyotes killed his llama over the summer too, where the llama used to keep them out.

What was stopping the pyr?

I have two female great pyrs. My neighbors all joke they haven't seen a yote around in years. Some truth to it too.

When you do hear a yote howling, my big dumb galloot dogs, quickly turn into quiet, stealthy hunters.

Emo
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Usually one coyote won't risk its own safety with a dog of its size or larger, they will run and try to get your dog to chase it back to the pack. Not sure how brazen two coyotes would be together, guess it would depend on how hungry they are?

I haven't seen a coyote attack a large dog before, but do know several people with Pyrs that guard their acreages and when the Pyrs get a coyote it is pretty torn up(granted there is a large size difference). I would imagine a coyote would bite and try to pull a dog to the ground so that they could get to the underbelly, and neck and then try to immobilize or slow the dog with some serious holes/lacerations. If attacking in a pair the "free" coyote would probably attack the dog while the dog is defending/attacking against the other coyote.

The biggest risk is your dog chasing them and having more coyotes waiting.

Bear Grylls
12-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Coyotes play this game where one coyote will lure the dog into chasing him and leads him right to a pack of waiting coyotes.

Yep, this has happened around where I live. Neighbours warned us when we moved here that they've had larger breeds (not too sure on the breed it was anymore) killed by packs of coyotes.

We've always kept our German Shepherd in the garage at night. Two mornings in the past 10 years we've actually witnessed coyotes trying to lure her.

riden
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Usually one coyote won't risk its own safety with a dog of its size or larger, they will run and try to get your dog to chase it back to the pack. Not sure how brazen two coyotes would be together, guess it would depend on how hungry they are?

I haven't seen a coyote attack a large dog before, but do know several people with Pyrs that guard their acreages and when the Pyrs get a coyote it is pretty torn up(granted there is a large size difference). I would imagine a coyote would bite and try to pull a dog to the ground so that they could get to the underbelly, and neck and then try to immobilize or slow the dog with some serious holes/lacerations. If attacking in a pair the "free" coyote would probably attack the dog while the dog is defending/attacking against the other coyote.

The biggest risk is your dog chasing them and having more coyotes waiting.

I don't know. I think if a pyr went after two yotes, when he had one of them pinned, I think the other yote would run off like a scared girl.

Bushmaster
12-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Sneeze, I think you should fear for the safety of your dogs. These coyotes don't wanna play and they know what they are doing....and they are very persistent. Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....

Sneeze
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....

I am of the same opinion. To finish your sentence: one day.... I am going to buy a fox pro.

Most of what I thought has been confirmed. I think these coyotes have learned how to kill acreage dogs and are trying really hard to kill mine. My Labs would last about 1 minute to a seasoned, territorial, proven killer coyote.

Now I have to break the young male out of charging after them like an idiot.

Grizzly Adams
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Sneeze, I think you should fear for the safety of your dogs. These coyotes don't wanna play and they know what they are doing....and they are very persistent. Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....

Coyotes play for keeps. :D Average dog just doesn't have that drive in a fight. I have seen dogs actually playing with coyotes, though. Not worth taking a chance on, if you value your dog.

Grizz

GunnerySgtJackson
12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
My in-laws have a dairy farm in Ont., their pet Airedale is fine around the cows so he is free to hang by himself in the yard...not any more, found him in a barn with 50 coyote bites and barely hanging to life. He survived. They saw 5 yotes in the yard the other day....time for me and the .22-250 to make a trip up there!
Coyotes kill deer, caribou etc..Labs would not be hard to kill or maim. Watch out for your buddies!

greylynx
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
So I guess it is now true that coyotes will gang up on your dog.

A couple of years ago when I stated this fact I was told that I was full of xxxx.

sunsetrider2011
12-28-2011, 06:17 PM

best bet is to turn the pyrenese loose they are bred to kill coyotes and are natural protectors

CanuckShooter
12-28-2011, 06:21 PM
My in-laws have a dairy farm in Ont., their pet Airedale is fine around the cows so he is free to hang by himself in the yard...not any more, found him in a barn with 50 coyote bites and barely hanging to life. He survived. They saw 5 yotes in the yard the other day....time for me and the .22-250 to make a trip up there!
Coyotes kill deer, caribou etc..Labs would not be hard to kill or maim. Watch out for your buddies!

They kill people too...shoot every one you can...and then shoot them again just for good measure.

Redfrog
12-28-2011, 06:21 PM
No doubt coyotes will attack. lure, fight and kill a dog. But I've seen some dogs lay a beating on coyotes.
The pyrenees are awesome. They are used for bear dogs on the cutblocks when the sheep are in there razing in the summer. They will run off most predators including Grizzlies.
I'm surprised to hear they killed a llama. I've seen what happens to coyotes when a llama gets a chance to offer a n attitude adjustment. I saw a llama try to kick a coyote through a chain link fence. The coyote ended up with strained muscles.:sHa_shakeshout:

I have friends who use dogs for decoys when calling coyotes. Very effective. The dog will run the coyote. When they get out a few hundred yards the dog is called back with a whistle. The coyote follows. This may happen a few times before the coyote gets shot, but get shot he will.:)

If you get the chance kill the coyotes. Even if they don't kill your dogs, they can sure cause lots of damage and vet charges.

To stop you dogs from chasing begins at the end of six foot leash. OR use an e collar and do some aversion training.

sunsetrider2011
12-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Coyotes are a reall problem anywhere with domestic animals Ie Small and larger dogs,, ive watched them come into yards and try to take pups or smaller pups when the bigger dogs arent around,, most farmers in this area have went to the great pyrenese for coyote control, my buddy runs 2 hybred wolfs and are deadly on coyotes and ive seen 5 or 6 try to takle them and come out on the losing end badly,,My borders ive trained over the years to do the same thing,, 1 coyote is no contest 2 coyotes they have to work for it with one dog,,but with 2 borders, 3 or 4 coyotes dont stand a chance, it is unbelieveable to watch how the pair of them behave around the coyotes,, ive never seen anything like it other than the wolf hybreds ,, ,they are deadly. there is alot of the yotes around this year,, i drug a calf out day before yesterday out of the feedlot,, and the next morning there was just hair and bone left,, 600lbs gone,, so am setting up shooting baits from the front porch,, my buddy has taken 20 off his baits,, and 9 in one night,, so they are thick for sure

C Taylor
12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Ive seen a few packs of 12 coyotes. Don't matter how big or tough the dog is the coyote will win. My folks lab has been tore up twice before she learned to hide. A bait only seems to bring in more coyotes to the area. Fox pro and 22-250 is best solution

Redfrog
12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Ive seen a few packs of 12 coyotes. Don't matter how big or tough the dog is the coyote will win. My folks lab has been tore up twice before she learned to hide. A bait only seems to bring in more coyotes to the area. Fox pro and 22-250 is best solution

Not exactly true. I know two red heelers who kill several coyotes a year.

sunsetrider2011
12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Not exactly true. I know two red heelers who kill several coyotes a year.

Your very right Redfrog healers will do a number on coyotes as well

C Taylor
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Not saying a dog or two cant kill coyotes but sooner or later they will get into too big a pack.

Redfrog
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
CTaylor. I agree ,even one coyote can kill a dog, because the dogs usually do not have the kill instinct. Most will fight to submission like WW.Birds said.
Every once in a while a dog comes along and has what it takes. These dogs often are used in a pack as a kill dog. Greyhounds usually, but airedales and others as well. I have lab here that would kill a coyote I'm sure, but he would get bit and injured in the process. He would win because he is 90+ lbs on the scale and has no quit in him. He is the exception when it comes to labs.

chain2
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
also, besides the fact they work together... coyote's lung capacity and stamina can make almost any fit dog's tongue drag. I think they're slow methodical killers, stressing and gassing out [UFC term] bigger or faster opponents. I drove up and scared a coyote away from my neighbors rotti at first light last summer. Coyote hauled balls over half mile outa sight fresh as a daisy...rotti was lathered up and staggered his way back to they're house...chain

Benjamin
12-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes it is possible that one off these days they will attack and kill your dogs. I don't know the rules in BC but around here I would see them coyotes in my scope with a very friendly 22.250 barking back at them. Happy hunting take them down n good luck. I think your dog are getting into the coyotes territory

greylynx
12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Your very right Redfrog healers will do a number on coyotes as well

I remember 3 healers on my relatives ranch that actually had some sort of a system for coyotes. The normal coloured healer would actually howl, yes howl, when the evening or morning calling by coyotes would begin . She would act as the bait. Her two red coloured sisters were always not far behind.

slough shark
12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I have a lab, he would be done quickly if he ever got into a life or death struggle, he's just way to nice, great around kids and fit as a fiddle but just too darn nice, get a great pyr or 2, I have seen 2 of them in action and they keep the yotes down pretty good. I would feel confidant putting a 2 pyrs against 5-6 yotes, the pyrs might loose a little hair over the ordeal but there would likely be a few dead yotes on scene. If you add 2 pyres to your passel of dogs you're likely to save money on ammo for the yote issue and your lab would likely be safe, of course what you save in ammo you have dog food...

IR_mike
12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
We had a german shepard great dane cross (140 lbs or so) on the farm growing up.

Coyotes....not a chance.

Max would watch from the edge of the pasture in the evenings and let them get a certain distance from cover then put the diesel down.

Caught them, bite on the neck with a few rolls or shakes...game over.:)

Pretty cool actually.

chain2
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
My dog would come back at command...chain

rhuntley12
12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
What was stopping the pyr?

I have two female great pyrs. My neighbors all joke they haven't seen a yote around in years. Some truth to it too.

When you do hear a yote howling, my big dumb galloot dogs, quickly turn into quiet, stealthy hunters.

The fence.:) We have 4 ft post fences with page wire around between our yard and pastures. Love our pyr, if we had more land I'd probably get another.

I've been tempted to open the gate, but not worth the risk to her, I feel safe knowing that if one got in the yard I think she would make quick work of it, thats what the breed does.

Shes a gentle giant around people and animals we've introduced her to and a giant sap to boot but if something unknown is at the fence she can be scary.

marlin1
12-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I want to put a question on this thread as it sort of applies . A guy who lives on the edge of the city , not in the city limit , had his dog killed by a pit bull in the nieghborhood . Animal control is refusing to do anything . The dog came right onto the property and killed his heeler cross on the deck . He has seen the dog walking his fenceline and growling at his dog and followed the tracks from the kill site leading to the nieghbors . No coyote tracks around but did not witness the fight . Is there anything he can do about this ? He's in a bow zone . I know I'd be choked and would want the offending dog dealt with . Any ideas?

Paintedblac
12-29-2011, 08:47 AM
We live on an acerage and have a Pyrenees, there are lots of yotes about. every night we here her barking at them, one morning i found her with a playing with a yotes head not sure if she killed it or not. Last winter the pyrenees and my other dog got into a huge fight over a hot dog and i jumped in to break it up with the result being i got bitten on both calfs, not on purpose just i got in the road of there mouths. My other dog is a 55ibs weimeraner and she is about 90ilbs there was alot more pain with the pyrenees bite and i still have teeth marks on my right leg from the pyrenees bite

Whiskey Wish
12-29-2011, 03:35 PM
We had a Great Pyrenees back in the early 80's when we had sheep. She was death on coyotes and I have no idea how many she killed over her lifetime. Other than the occasional bite wound we rarely found any damage on her but her white fur was regularly stained blood red. The only problem with the GP is she applied the same rule to all animals that came on the farm property. Leave or die, no negotiation, no growling and hackles raised, straight in to fight to the death, no quarter asked and none given. This applied to coyotes, foxes, neighbours dogs, cats - domestic or wild, porcupines ad nauseum. Any coyote we saw on the farm in those years was running already and looking back over their shoulder.

A number of years later after the GP was long dead we had a yellow lab. She was the sweetest, nicest, small lab that everyone loved. I was out cutting hay in the afternoon one day and looked back over my shoulder to see two coyotes exit the bush and full on attack my lab. She watched them run at her with her tail wagging happy to see another dog. They flattened her in the first rush and one was on top of her and the other was dashing in and out near her throat area. All I could do was jump off the tractor and grab a pry bar out of the tool box and run straight at them shouting at the top of my lungs. I was a good hundred yards away. The "throat" coyote heard me first and took off running. About this time I think our Lab realized that this was for real and she needed to fight because she was one her back with the first coyote on top of her and suddenly she just jumped up and rolled the coyote over and pinned it by the throat. Unfortunately about this time she heard ME shouting and stopped to look at me. The coyote squeezed out from under her and took off running. I checked her out but didn't find any significant damage. After that incident I took to carrying a rifle on the tractor.

That same summer our next door neighbour, who was partially disabled, was out in his front yard with his two dogs. A Catahoula cross dog and a small breed dog terrier sized. Two coyotes came over a berm and one circled running while the other ran right up to Bill and grabbed his terrier right at his feet and carried it off in its mouth. Bill told me he tried kicking the coyote to no avail. Fortunately Bill was quick thinking and picked up the Catahoula's play ball and threw it in the direction of the coyote carrying his small dog. The Catahoula was brain dead(his description, not mine) and had no idea anything was happening but was only too happy to chase a ball. The coyote looked back to see the Catahoula running after it and, knowing it could not outrun the dog carrying the small dog, dropped the small dog and kept running. The small dog recovered and was okay but Bill began shooting (at) every coyote he saw.

A few years later in another field our lab and our cattle dog - Heeler cross - and another Heeler cross were out mousing while I was haying and cornered a coyote against the bush. The dogs all spread out and kept dashing in and out but the coyote stood its ground and faced each dog in turn. No contact was made but the dogs wouldn't quit and the coyote wouldn't run. On my next pass with the tractor I could see the coyote had no hair on its tail so I knew it had the mange.(probably why it wouldn't/couldn't run - exhaustion) I figured I had better put a stop to this so my dogs didn't get the mange. 142 gr. Boat tail hollow point through the chest at ~50 yards put an end to the nonsense. Siphoned some diesel from my tank and lit the carcass on fire.

I actually like coyotes and would not want to see them all gone. They serve a purpose in Mother Nature’s plan and are part of the balance. However...and this is a big HOWEVER..my personal belief is we, as humans, need to keep pressure on them or the population grows to a level where food becomes a problem for them and they begin to look us, our pets, and livestock as potential food sources. Left unchecked coyotes will become increasingly aggressive and bold and abhorrent behaviour will become the norm. For the most part if I see a coyote in one of my distant fields I watch them and enjoy. If they are within 250 yards of my house and yard they die.
Now if only I could protect my property and life from those damn moose the same way.......
Regards,
Dave.

catnthehat
12-29-2011, 03:49 PM
My brother had a Kuvasz when he lived on his trap line, they are a Hungarian sheep dog.
This dog was so quick that whenever a bear came into the yard it was held at bay in the middle of the yard - Timmi could swap ends on it faster than the bear could spin and snap!
She was for ever bring in dead coyotes that she had killed while patrolling the perimeter of the yard, but would never go into the bush at night, the 'yotes would try to entice the dogs into the woods, and she was too smart for that!
Cat

gutline homestead
12-29-2011, 10:03 PM
a pair of coyotes will come in on a dog and the one in front keeps the dog busy and the one from behind gets the dog by the flank and it`s all downhill from there. I have large dog`s and they will trick the coyote and sit down and spin on them,great pyrenne.have seen coyote`s with there heads stuck in game fences.

densa44
12-29-2011, 11:19 PM
When they think they think they can get away with it they come into the yard to the bottom of the steps. I shoot as many as I can.

The surprise comes when I have a visiting large dog, son's or Brother in laws wolf hound. They are very smart and make themselves scarce until the big boys have gone home.

I don't know how many of my cats they have killed. Just shoot as many as you can. I hang the corpses on the barb wire fence and that keeps them away for awhile.

marlin1
12-30-2011, 07:57 AM
I want to put a question on this thread as it sort of applies . A guy who lives on the edge of the city , not in the city limit , had his dog killed by a pit bull in the nieghborhood . Animal control is refusing to do anything . The dog came right onto the property and killed his heeler cross on the deck . He has seen the dog walking his fenceline and growling at his dog and followed the tracks from the kill site leading to the nieghbors . No coyote tracks around but did not witness the fight . Is there anything he can do about this ? He's in a bow zone . I know I'd be choked and would want the offending dog dealt with . Any ideas?

I guess I should have started another thread . I have enjoyed reading these posts on coyotes and don't want to sidetrack the thread . my apologies to the op

rhuntley12
12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
I agree with you Whiskey, they are great to see when they aren't near humans. They are very fun to watch, unfortunately not enough people on acreages keep the population down enough to where they don't stay away from people.

thumper
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
"I actually like coyotes and would not want to see them all gone. They serve a purpose in Mother Nature’s plan and are part of the balance. However...and this is a big HOWEVER..my personal belief is we, as humans, need to keep pressure on them or the population grows to a level where food becomes a problem for them and they begin to look us, our pets, and livestock as potential food sources. Left unchecked coyotes will become increasingly aggressive and bold and abhorrent behaviour will become the norm. For the most part if I see a coyote in one of my distant fields I watch them and enjoy. If they are within 250 yards of my house and yard they die.
Now if only I could protect my property and life from those damn moose the same way.......
Regards,
Dave."

- couldn't agree with you more Dave. Here in Canmore the F&W guys recommend that people 'back away and leave the area' if they come across a 'bold' coyote. I think that people should be agressive & run at them, throw rocks or sticks and make them run. Teaching coyotes that they're 'alpha dog' is the wrong approach IMO.

My old pudelpointer could run down coyotes in the open and bowl them over - but he learned to never chase them into cover. On the Spray Lakes in the winter, one coyote would come out on the ice and try to get icefisherman's dogs to chase it into the woods - where the rest of the pack waited.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
we used to have two dogs that worked as a team killin yodel dawgs,
1 was a blue healer the other was a chesapeake bay retriever, the little blue healer would go , down by the corals and lure the coyote in and when it put chase to the healer, the healer would run past the loading chute and the chessie would be there waiting, she hit the square with her shoulder ,roll the coyote over and grab its throat two shakes and that was it coyotes neck snapped , it was a game for them when they got bored with nothing to do , I guess dogs gotta be entertained some how in the off work times too

This is a good post with some very interesting coments thanks for starting it

pickrel pat
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
This is a good post with some very interesting coments thanks for starting it

x2

chain2
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
somewhere in grandpa's/grandma's basement is old super8 movies of their greyhounds in action, this was a social Sunday outing back in their day. They where called out to several areas to unleash their hounds all over south and central Alberta. I recall seeing grandpa and his hounds interviewed on black and white tv. also back then Ads where placed in local papers and all where invited hunt coyotes in one mile block drives. just in the good old days...chain

Koda1234
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
My one dog is a 180lbs giant Alaskan Malamute and the other is a German Shepherd with a strong protective instinct my Shepherd will show my Malamute what to due then My Malamute will come in dealing some heavy damage. With the Shepherd.

pickrel pat
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
My one dog is a 180lbs giant Alaskan Malamute and the other is a German Shepherd with a strong protective instinct my Shepherd will show my Malamute what to due then My Malamute will come in dealing some heavy damage. With the Shepherd.

welcome to the forum!

creeky
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
snowing@-10 (got my head down cause of the wind) look up to see our griffon chasing one coyote @ 90, closing the gap behind & unbeknownst to her are two other yotes. Close call & got it turned around, sure put a scare in a guy.

acreage horse boarding facility i shod at had a 150lb akita that would regulary kill coyotes. Guess if you've got the right dog and there smart enough to not get lured in.

i'd been shoein horses for a week solid out west in the mountains at a big dude ranch. Wranglers told me my last horse to be shod had been missing a couple of days and not to worry about it. I insisted it was strange and we search, (real good old horse), found him at the far end of a hundred acre treed pasture nearly 1/2 eaten out from his back end in. Poor bugger had caught a hind foot in his halter (tho clear from the swale he dug he put up a tremendous fight). Harsh.

silverdoctor
06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
My one dog is a 180lbs giant Alaskan Malamute

Frig, I don't weigh that much :scared0018:

Great reading thread folks, keep the stories coming.

brownbomber
06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
our best dog ever was a chesapeake, she got lured in a few times by the single coyote in the yard, she chases it out and gets jumped by 6 of them,

but she got wise and her and the border collie and another stray mixed breed we adopted started to do the same thing, the little mixed breed or the bc would go out in the field or onto the frozen lake and get chased into the yard where the other two would be waiting, it was very comical.

ruttnbuckcojack
06-14-2012, 06:08 AM
I've got a Red Sable Sheppard how wieghs around 115 ilbs and he's a coyote killing machine, One night two winter's ago there was a comotion outside on the deck so I went to investigate and to my suprise My dog a Had a yote trapped between himself and the front door, when I opened the door the yote tryed to take a bite out of me but just ended eating door!! anyway by next morning the yote was lying dead out back of our back entrance, ever since then its like he got a taste for yotes, personally seen him kill one by our apple tree, broke the dam things neck while it charged him quiet the site.

gutline homestead
06-14-2012, 10:59 AM
I live in the bush,I use pyrene,they will run down and kill a coyote,had a lab that would go after a pair of yotes.one would come into the front of him and the other comes in from behind usually going for back leg. my lab learned to sit and spin an kill sneak attacker. then the other would outrun him.COYOTES in pack.never heard of that,wolves,dogs and me never let em get a big enough toehold to become a pack.That is probably the mistake made.used to be able to get cyanine packs to put on a sheep`s neck so when the coyote bit em it would activate,think it kills the sheep to.Pyr is the only dog i`ve ever seen go on a wolves trail, most dog`s pretend they don`t smell, Pyr will go tracking faster than a old doe on a hot scent.I watch does a fair bit tracking a coyote that went through there area. they are real good.the deer.