PDA

View Full Version : where are those coyotes?

coyotezh
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
went to ministik and called 3 more stands. nothing at all! strange, is it because not cold enough?

Bushmaster
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Very similar to fishing....shoulda been there yesterday !! :D

7mm08
12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I have noticed the coyotes are not responding to the call very well lately too. Cant really come up with an explanation or reason. Just makes it more interesting.

Blanka
12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Was out today and nothing came in to my calls. I have had great luck with wolves and yotes at this spot previous years. Just gotta be there at the right time I guess.

wwbirds
12-28-2011, 06:15 PM
All the stupid young of the year are dead or very well educated to the typical rabbit distress call by the end of November.
throw something different at them and they may respond although perhaps slower. mouse squeeks, deer goose duck and elk calls will sometimes work on educated coyotes. Or maybe there were just none in the area.

Redfrog
12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Howl. This time of year they are more territorial as they get into the breeding mode.

Cheer up I know guys that go forty stands with nothing.
I also know guys who are happy to see two coyotes in the whole season. Not every place is coyote central like Alberta is.:)

gunkle
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I went out Monday morning....beautiful morning.
I fear that I was more of a naturalist, than a hunter....but it was nice to be outside.
With it being so warm out (and food still plentiful for the coyotes) - I did not use the rabbit in distress call, rather I tried to appeal to the more territorial side of things - coyote challenge (male and female) and wounded pup.

I might as well have been calling in dolphins for all the good my calls made.
Got nothing but some nice pictures!
(of course tonnes of deer and a moose....they're so crafty in November, but don't give a crap in December).

demolition101
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Lol I'm having the same luck with yotes. Seeing lots but can't call any. And yeah as far as the moose and deer, had two does 10ft from my truck after I pulled up and seen the same Bull, three cows and three calves walk the same field 5 days in a row. So mad this morning I threw a coyote locator out there to make them nervous lol

trigger7mm
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Got 3 yesterday in 10 stands. They are very, very,educated after hunting season. The ones that aren't dead already are super smart. It's warm and there is all kinds of food for them out there. They're moving mostly at night. In a couple of weeks, once things settle down some, and the temp. drops, it will get better. Breeding season is just starting. I shot 2 yotes the other day and they were both torn up from fighting. One to the point of not being worth skinning. It's going to get better!!

Salavee
12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Things are definately slower. I agree with trigger7mm. There are lots of groceries around and it's a bit warm. We need some -20 temps to get it up to speed again.

I am getting some decent results with a Jack Rabbit distress followed a bit later with a hurt pup. It seems to get thier curiosity up.. Challenge calls will turn off most of the juveniles that are running around right now. That will change next month.

BTW, Dan Thompson, of Dan Thompson Game Calls ( the Guru of Predator Calling) passed away Dec.26. A great guy who contributed a lot to this sport and who will surely be missed.

Good luck out there.