PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dog (hunting/family)

aulrich
12-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Well looks like the family dog idea is really starting to gain traction, the wife wants a medium sized dog and while I can't say I am a dog person, I am willing to be one, if it hunts.

But here is the kicker I am allergic so the criteria is it has to be easier on my allergies. So that leaves labs out.

The basic check list
1. Good with the family.
2. Trainable for waterfowl hunting (dual purpose for upland would be nice if possible).
3. Easier on the nose.

Redfrog
12-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Standard poodle.

Pixel Shooter
12-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Labradoodle as well.............. I just did a quick google for labradoodle and found this link so you can see what they look like and what they traing them for. Can be good hunting dogs, very strong desire to retrieve in the right breedings. Cant go wrong with standard poodle as well that has been bred for hunting, will take a little more work to find the right breeder

http://www.killararidge.com/service_and_hunting_dogs/default.asp

NBFK
12-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I love my lab but she leaves little white hairs for me every time we go somewhere. I brush the chit out of her and give her fish oil as well. On that note what are gsp's like for shedding or being allergy friendly.

Iron Brew
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Labradoodle as well.............. I just did a quick google for labradoodle and found this link so you can see what they look like and what they traing them for. Can be good hunting dogs, very strong desire to retrieve in the right breedings. Cant go wrong with standard poodle as well that has been bred for hunting, will take a little more work to find the right breeder

http://www.killararidge.com/service_and_hunting_dogs/default.asp

Be careful as not all labradoodles are non-allergenic

OutwardBound
12-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon may fit your bill. Here's a good link to start.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/griffonwire.htm

Danni

aulrich
12-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Here is one SWMBO saw today, I like the multi-spiecies aspect, she thought it was cute.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/largemunsterlander.htm

and a breeder

http://munster.sasktelwebsite.net/#goals

Double Shovel
12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
You can't beat a lab. That being said I did however get a labradoodle for the purpose of a family dog and maybe hunting second. Well he turned out to be a hunting nut and retrieves just about anything I shoot.
My neighbor who breeds them had one left from a later litter, could find out if it is still available.
The only downside to a labradoodle versus a regular lab is they collect anything in their hair from burrs to crap but they are very gentle dogs.

ACKLEY ABE
12-29-2011, 08:32 AM
www.vizslacanada.ca

Incredible family dogs....they are also known as Valcro-dogs. they need to be with their people. Trainablility. There has only been i dog ever with 5 championships....a Vizsla, They live to please their people. medium.....as tall as a Lab but much more athletic.

V's are a single coat and have no, repeat no, dog smell. They are not a breed to kennel outside...unless you live outside. By the way, I'm allergic to dogs and my girl doesn't affect me at all.

They are the only breed that, in the standard states...."must be demonstratably affectionate"........and they are.

aulrich
12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
The one problem with labs, is that most everyone I have come in contact with has triggered my allergies, some very quickly. Other breeds not so much, but it still will be a bit of a gamble, even with the so called hypo-allergenic dogs.

Truth be told I rather have a good hunter that was iffy for allergies than a "so so" hunter that is good with the allergies.

Irish water spanials are on the investigation list as well

Sooner
12-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I have had 3 GSP's now, just said goodbye to my 12 yr old one. Will be looking for number 4 sometime in 2012. All 3 of my shorthairs have been great with my kids and anyone else who has met them. Dont really shed, we dont have allergies so I cant tell you if their hair will cause your home problems. My old GSP is 14 now, out lived 2 of her buddies allready. It has been a great breed for us as pets. I dont hunt with them. They will run all day, lots of energy. Great companions too.

aulrich
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
This is starting to strike me like I had ask "what's a good cartrige for deer"
Numerous right answers, the trick is to narrow the best one for you.

GSP's are on the list.

My bird hunting will be something like this

50% field waterfowl
25% wet waterfowl
25% Upland (mind you I could see this % going up with a dog with a lowering of wet waterfowl)

densa44
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Is there anything that you know triggers the allergic reaction?

There are a few more versatile breeds that may work (Visla, griffon, and gsps have been mentioned) There are more, weimeraners have almost no hair but have trouble with the cold.

Some of the wire haired ones might work.

Remember that this are very high energy dogs, to hunt and brave the elements they need to be, to have to give them lots of exercise and training.

I hope you find a dog that suits your family.

Sooner
12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Im in edmonton if you want to meet and give my dog the sniff test :). She is a old girl and past her prime now, just living the life of a old dog.

aulrich
12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I have not been tested for the exact trigger, but it does seem to vary dog to dog, some trigger me right away, with others hardly at all.

The space and activity requirements is something we are really wanting to consider and have well researched before we get started. All of the dog on the list need lots of activity or they become annoying/destructive(not a desired outcome).

For a city we have a big lot.
As a family we enjoy the outdoors
We (the hunters of the house) would take on the training
The wife loves to walk
I should walk more
So should my teenagers

But that said this is a 10-15+ year commitment, so it's really up to the wife and I.

Razor Labs
12-30-2011, 04:13 PM
10 - 14 yrs is along time to have a companion that you are not happy with......you are in diffucult situation with your allergies, a lab is the way to based on your wants and needs.....I maybe a little biased but the proof is in the pudding.

Check out this link for a little reading material.....

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/HuntingDogs/DogTrainingArticles/RetrievervsPointers/tabid/467/Default.aspx

600twin
12-30-2011, 05:20 PM
I love my lab but she leaves little white hairs for me every time we go somewhere. I brush the chit out of her and give her fish oil as well. On that note what are gsp's like for shedding or being allergy friendly.

Have you tried the Furminator???
I have two beagles as house pets / getting trained for hunting. The male sheds like crazy you can't walk through the room and your socks are covered and i think it is especially bad as his body is trying to bring in a winter coat but being in the house in the warm and then out side in the cold hunting may be fooling up his body some how so we got the furminator and the first time the missus used it she was amazed at the amount that came off ,using it has drastically reduced the amount of shedding this guy does. It is a product that works.

hornhead
12-31-2011, 09:47 AM
i just finished using the furminator on my wire haired griffon.

griffs do shed, but not as bad as labs.

as far as allergies , i really can't say except Tramp doesn't bother me.
but they seem to have a "hair " coat rather than a "fur " coat.

as far as allergies? if you can afford one... the best bet would be a standard poodle IMHO.

go to a kennel show and give all the dogs the "sniff" test if your allergies are really bad.

duffy4
12-31-2011, 10:14 AM
If you can't have a LAB you have my deepest sympathy.

What kind of hunting do you want to use the dog for?
Spaniels come in different sizes and can be great little bird dogs. Not sure about their allergy potential.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/Beerdawg.jpg

A "brew pointer".

aulrich
01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I hear you on the labs, but at this point the Large Munsterlander is in the lead, the wife likes the looks and the general size. The breeder got us in touch with a local owner and we did a sniff test the other day, and there was no reaction.

Are there any more suggestions for reading material/dvd's, I do plan on doing this right.

01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Any reports on labradoodles doing upland hunting like grouse or rabbits?

joshcat
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Navhda.org is a good place to start also CKC.ca Navhda has links to breeders and info on them as well.

slough shark
01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
how about golden retreivers? my buddy got one from a good hunting line and she does well.

bullrambler
01-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Not to take your thread question in another direction, but I always wanted to know how a Bluetick hound or Norwegian Hound would do with big game hunting.

AxiALe
01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
My coonhound should be in heat soon and we are planning a litter,great bloodlines ,registered and proven

aulrich
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
An in-law has a golden and that one is even worst than a lab, 5 min with that one and I am weasing.

outwalking
01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I think it's more the dander and saliva that people react to, but I'm not allergic myself so I can't tell ya.

I don't have any further suggestions, but just want to mention that if you go with a mixed breed, try to rescue a shelter dog because there's no need to be creating more BYB dogs while there are so many that need homes already.

In saying that, there are also puppies all over in shelters that can be just as good as some highly trained pedigreed animal. I'd say labs and lab mixes are practically the most predominant breed in our shelters, with border collies/mixes and GSDs/mixes right up there with them. Just a thought.

I'm all about rescuing from shelters, but equally about responsible breeding. Do your research on the breeder if you go that route, and stay away from the ones who have multiple litters per year, won't allow you to their house/see the parents, want to meet up somewhere, has no information about past puppies...keep your eyes peeled for that type of dog-breeding scum. Sure the pups are cheaper but chances are their parents live crappy lives and the "breeder" needs to meet a car payment. Also avoid the petstores - how could anyone who cares about their puppies be selling them blindly to strangers?

It's all about supporting the good breeding practices and cutting out the slimeballs.

Much luck to you and your family!

-JR-
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Everyone listed large dogs......Brittney is a medum size hunting/family dog.

spuds
01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a couple of german wire hairs after having 3 labs and will never go back. I loved my labs but I don't do any late season water hunting anymore, which I would consider is a GWP's only weak point. I have found them easier to train and quicker to learn things. I wouldn't say that they have as strong a desire to retrieve naturally but that came easy enough. Their upland abilities are outstanding, with waterfowl a big goose is a real chore but they seem to find a way.
They are amazing family dogs,as we're my labs, but there is a sense of loyalty that I have never had with any of my other dogs. The ones I have don't seem to shed so that's another positive. I don't think you would be disappointed with a GWP.

aulrich
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Well we pulled the rigger so to speak, At least we are on the list for an up coming munsterlander litter. The litter is due March some time, so B-day plus 8 weeks or so and we have a dog.

Come fall I will probably be asking/begging for a tag along with an experienced upland hunter to see what a properly worked pointer looks like. and to give the puppy a little rid along experience

riden
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Small or large?

bang_on_sk
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Everyone listed large dogs......Brittney is a medum size hunting/family dog.

x2 on the Brittany, in my un-biased opinion, mine is great. I'm allergic to most dogs, but haven't had any problems with him. Does require a good amount of exercise.

aulrich
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
It's a large munsterlander, and through this process one thing we might have identified is the oily haired breeds may be the big allergy problem.

And that breed selection is almost religious(OK completely and utterly religious), so at this point I declare myself Doggy Unitarian. OK maybe not for foo foo dogs those are just a lunch that carries itself.

SalmoTrutta
01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Weimaraner??? great dogs all around