PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake Report

lund17
12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Is anyone having any luck catching fish on Calling Lake. I was up there for four days over Christmas and spent countless hours on the ice. Nothing but a few pike and burbot to show for my efforts. Tried everything from spoons to jigs, minnows and leechs both powerbait and real. I saw fish on the my camera but they were not interested in biting.

Drewski Canuck
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Just got back from Calling. Skidoo - Cabin check - fishing trip with the kids. Jason brought his wife Dianna up, which was good fun. Morning was a bust due to the east wind and snow and low pressure system moving through.

Afternoon down from Moosehorn Market was great. iced 3, 2 legals and 1 almost legal. Had a number of other hits that did not stick. Put the 10 year old on a Jigging Rap in gold finish and she was missing fish after fish. I took her rod and iced a 53 cm right away. She took it back and it was comical watching her rod go over and her missing the fish. Small hooks on the end of the jigging Rap do not help.

One thing to try, Take a Krokodile in Chartreause - red, and jig it like mad. Timid fish won't go near, but my son was getting lots of hits and did ice fish this way.

Drewski

highwood
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Just got back from Calling. Skidoo - Cabin check - fishing trip with the kids. Jason brought his wife Dianna up, which was good fun. Morning was a bust due to the east wind and snow and low pressure system moving through.

Afternoon down from Moosehorn Market was great. iced 3, 2 legals and 1 almost legal. Had a number of other hits that did not stick. Put the 10 year old on a Jigging Rap in gold finish and she was missing fish after fish. I took her rod and iced a 53 cm right away. She took it back and it was comical watching her rod go over and her missing the fish. Small hooks on the end of the jigging Rap do not help.

One thing to try, Take a Krokodile in Chartreause - red, and jig it like mad. Timid fish won't go near, but my son was getting lots of hits and did ice fish this way.

Drewski

I've also had some of my best days jigging aggressively for 'eyes (y)

kingshow
12-29-2011, 04:02 PM
is there enough snow for snowmobile at Calling Lake? as well I've only fished it in the summer with amazing results, but keep on reading about how its sometimes a little slower on the hard water. I was thinking about taking the wife and father up the 2nd of Jan, and was hoping to take the sleds out. as well where is the best place to access the lake as I heard the park is closed?

lund17
12-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Drewski

What depth of water were you fishing in?

Sooner
12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Kingshow, you can park anywhere by the boat launch at the public campground and unload your sleds. When the snow is not a issue, like this year so far, you can drive out onto the lake 20 ft and unload beside the shore if you want. Thats what I do when the snow is not a issue. Curious as well as to how much snow is on the lake.

kingshow
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks for the information, I hope the snow will come soon.