PDA

View Full Version : How much wind and cold can you man up to?

Tyangelo
12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Just curious to see if I'm the only nut on the forum, other than the few confirmed others I've seen post, who has no problem fishing in any weather he can manage to set up his gear in. I see 40 kph winds forecast for Sylvan tomorrow. That's not even close to my limit, not even a by a long shot. Once my ice spikes pull out of the ice, I would probably call it a day... As for the cold, there's no limit for me. I just bring a bigger heater...

And just so I don't sound like Mr. Toughguy, I'll make it an official statement that I always fish in pantyhose and a bright blue tutu...:sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
ill see you out there then

Tyangelo
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds good. I'll be out to the left of the access at RR23. Green Woods 6 man. Feel free to drop by.

J.B.
12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
If we had any friggen ice id be out there...

Rabdo
12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
I've fished in some -46 weather up north at Grist Lake. It was a group of 5, but only 2 of us would actually go outside and fish. We had 1 little heater in a pop up tent lol good times I recommend everyone do it once

npauls
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
40km winds down here in the south is a nice calm day.

Whitetail junkie was out smashing perch today in 100km gusts.

You guys north of Calgary have it easy when it comes to wind.

slivers86
12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I've went boarding in -27 with a windchill that equalled a bit higher than -40 at louise before... that was cold... I could easily ice fish in that though, with a tent secured and a heater... you'd barely know it was winter out :)

WayneChristie
12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
went out in minus 35 but not much wind last February, I wasnt the only nut on the lake though. if its too windy for the tent I will fish from the truck, if theres enough ice! fish dont seem to mind:bad_boys_20: my legs are much too hairy for a tutu tho, sorry :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tyangelo
12-28-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm with you on that. The southern boys have us northerns outgunned when it comes to "hardwater wind management." In my opinion, with the right clothing, you'll be warm no matter what. And with NO heater, or shelter. Just good luck keeping mechanical stuff moving properly...:sign0176:

kinwahkly
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I was out at Gull last year and it was -38, the auger was tough to get going, 2 quick holes and the tent up and heater full blast, didnt want to cut any more holes so we just stayed put.

Mike_W
12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Guess it all depends but I like sunny plus fivebdays in late feb early march!!

I don't like fishing in anything below -25..... Just not my idea of fun.

sureshot
12-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Geezle and I were out the day of the 90kmh winds even did a fish fry.

Andy

Tyangelo
12-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I remember hearing that, I think. You guys were my hero's for the day. I tried setting up my 6 man hub in 60 kph winds at wizard that night. Quickly turned into a para-sail adventure... Stuck with some tip-ups instead. Once you have a good hub spiked down anyways, it's going NOWHERE!:sHa_shakeshout:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I would be Icefishing on Pigeon lake -40 and wind . I remember one time me and my buddys were out to Pigeon lake my god it was cold enough to freeze a witches tit at a 1000 paces . We were on the ice with the wind chill it was pushing - 50 I dont recall what the temp was . And that was before I had one of them propane heaters . Then we all climbed into there 3 man ice shanty he built .

Caught a few nice Walleye that day . Thats my absolute coldest . I got a big heavy snow suit and I was cold . Burrrr jsut the thought of it makes me cold .

silverdoctor
12-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold and windchill, i'm pathetic :rolleye2:

Kingfisher
12-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Today we were fishing in gale force winds. We put 5 anchors and about 200 lbs of boulders around my tent on the skirting to keep it in place. We stayed for the whole day. The rocks held well.

Cold, that is what heaters are for. Spent many -20 days on the ice with my 4 man Ice Cube and a small heater. Some foam mats on the floor keep your feet from getting cold and makes for a nice kneeling platform when your either looking down the hole or landing a fish.

Cheers,
Rob

77mse77
12-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Cold doesn't get me so much as the wind does. I can dress for nearly any temperature, and just bought some new outerwear from WSS to give the weather a little less advantage. Their 40 percent off sale is sweet.

Now that I can drive onto some lakes, the old "park the truck upwind of the clam" technique will be used to mitigate the wind a little.

Cheers!
M

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Cold doesn't get me so much as the wind does.

x2 I don't particularly care for sitting inside all day. It kind of defeats the purpose of getting out of the house. I'd sooner dress for the cold and sit beside the truck so it blocks the wind for me. I like the thought of not having your hole freeze over in a nice warm shelter though.....constantly cleaning holes is the only PITA. :)

Bigwhite
12-29-2011, 12:49 AM
four years ago I was working at the petro canada refinery in edmonton, In jan there was a cold snap -40 to -50. Shut down the whole site basically. I had a 8by8 shack on pine lake set up permanently, fished for a whole week while it was too cold to work. It was so cold i burned a mix of wood and coal in our stove to keep it nice in there. spent 2 nights out there in that crap!! All good till the stove runs out in the middle of the night

Geezle
12-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Geezle and I were out the day of the 90kmh winds even did a fish fry.

Andy

That's nothin'! The year before last with Zan we were out when Edmonton was the coldest place on the planet, or northern hemisphere or whatever it was.

WayneChristie
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
That's nothin'! The year before last with Zan we were out when Edmonton was the coldest place on the planet, or northern hemisphere or whatever it was.

Dude I thiink its like that pretty much every day of the year isnt it? :bad_boys_20:

Geezle
12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Dude I thiink its like that pretty much every day of the year isnt it? :bad_boys_20:

Not this season!

Hunter Trav
12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
-38 is the coldest I've been out in, wasn't much wind though. But with a shack and a heater, I'd go out at any temp as long as the truck will start when I get up in the morning...

Redfrog
12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
When it drops to -20 and the wind comes up, I switch to indoor sports:) A couple drinks , a nice fire. It's just good use of resources.

the local angler
12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
for me the minus tempurature doesn't matter for me but can't stand the wind though. recently i hit pine coulee res with a buddy and was about -4 with 52km winds. set up the clam nanook and when the wind picked up from 30km to 50+ it scared the crap out of me when my whole nanook slide sideways a few feet sideways with me in it. i didn't think i need to anchor this flip up tent but will have to next time just in case. then when i got home came down with the flu later that nite. my max is about 15 to 20 km winds i think.

slough shark
12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
cold makes no difference to me neither does the wind to a degree, I just don't bother anymore if I put stuff down on the ice and the wind starts to blow it away, and I'm not talking about light things but chairs, scoops etc... and blowing them too fast that I can't catch them. I'm ok in whatever but my equipment has to stay put.

Dan Foss
12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
if i have my tent and heater....... Any weather is good weather. But when the tent breaks during set up...... F that Im heading home. Happened a couple weeks ago on spray. snapped a pole in the tent. tried fishing in the 40km/h wind with gusts upto 65. fished for an hour and got PO'ed and left

deanmc
12-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Cant handle the cold anymore. My hands and fingers ache.:sad0125:

HOSSTONE1
12-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Fished many a day when it was -35 or so. But my coldest day i most remember was when it was -25 with 40 km/hr winds out at thunder lake. Not the coldest day i ever fished or windiest, but the most proud day where I thought I had a big pair!! I was only 13! My dad said it was too cold but I bitched and whined to drive me out there. He drove me across the lake and dropped me off where I wanted him to and asked him to pick me up at dusk. I was the only living soul sitting on the entire lake in my crappy little lawn chair, NO tent, NO heater and I guess NO BRAINS!!! I was out there for 4 hours and only got 1 bite the whole time! My hole would ice over every 3 minutes or so and was about half the size when I was done! Even had to run to the nearest island and build a quick fire to thaw my frozen ass! Finally in the darkness, I saw a set of headlights bobbing up and down heading my way! Hey at least he didnt forget about me.

That day made me feel like Grizzly F*****g Adams!!! It was awesome!

I was hardcore then, and hardcore now, but slowly putting on the tights and tutu as I get older! Haha!!

Time to teach my son to nut up and take on the weather!!!

Jwood 456
12-30-2011, 12:05 AM
The coldest I've fished in was -35 outside of an ice tent and wasn't bothered. But when it comes to even -10 with 30+ kilometer winds, then a tent with a heater is set up behind the truck(windbreak). I find that the wind is alot more of a pain than the cold itself.

Tyangelo
12-30-2011, 01:29 AM
-40 was my coldest. But I'd do it again in a minute, thanks to the new Sorels I'm rockin'.

birchy
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
We fished Spray Lakes one day last winter and it was about -25/-35 with wind chill.. that's about my coldest so far! Was good inside the tents with the heaters going though!

Jayhad
12-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I've worked on baffin Island in december outdoors, it was -58c on the coldest day

220 Swift
12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
i have sat out and called coyotes in -38C weather plus a windchill on top of that in the open fields. Cold didnt bother the coyotes as it makes them hungry, face crosswind to down wind and dress for it. as for fishing it is about -20C.