PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Etiquette

scel
12-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I read through the archived forums and could not find anything recent on this topic: fishing etiquette.

So, when I am fishing, I tend to be a busy assault fisherman, working my way up and down the river. I was fishing along, admittedly only paying attention to my strike indicator. I had worked my way into a little island off the When I looked up, I had noticed someone else's strike indicator, floating on the river from the opposite side of the bank. The older gentleman (i.e about 20 years older than me) was looking at me rather quizzically, probably because of the stunned/surprised look on my face, and partially because of the sheer violation of fly fishing etiquette (as I understand it). I immediately reeled in my line and quietly retreated to give him space.

Jim McLennan says in his book "Trout Streams of Alberta" that the acceptable amount of space is variable on any river. On the Bow, he suggest that you should not be able to hold a conversation with the closest person. On the smaller streams, he suggests that the best etiquette is to simply be out of eye-shot of the closest angler.

Personally, on the Bow, I like to be at least 50 metres from the closest person and definitely not fishing the same run (even it is a big run/riffle/eddy/pool). With a friend, I still like to give 2x the distance of my longest cast.

What do you guys thing is the acceptable inter-angler distance on the Bow? On other rivers?

silverdoctor
12-28-2011, 11:42 PM
The bow seems to be a different beast altogether, etiquette and common sense seem to be out the window with alot of anglers. I will always concede and move on if someone infringes on my little bit of space - but i'll always be nice and try to chat, offer some pointers if they need/want it. Sometimes people want someone to fish with and aren't sure how to approach.

Rule number 1 - Always be nice - you may not get it back but on the other hand, you just may. The Bow has some great Karma offerings, I love her to death. I've met some wonderful people while out flyfishing, some are there to learn and will take any advice (and flies) that are offered - then there's others I don't want to talk about. Don't let someone else ruin your day, don't take offense to others.

If you feel you need alot of space, then take it. but don't take it at someone else's expense. that's just common sense.

Reading a book on fly fishing etiquette is like trying to learn to raise kids by reading Dr. spock. Just don't fly.

Enjoy it out there.

This post is brought to you by crown royal and a shot of jack daniels. If it doesn't make sense, please excuse me and move on!

Albertadiver
12-28-2011, 11:59 PM
This post is brought to you by crown royal and a shot of jack daniels. If it doesn't make sense, please excuse me and move on!

My new sig line!

fish on 2
12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
If I'm shore fishing with a buddy who doesn't like walking the river guys will walk right through. Is it greed or lake of common sense(that isn't so common)
Ice fishing too... do you need to drill your holes right outside my shack:angry3:

Kokanee9
12-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Ice fishing too... do you need to drill your holes right outside my shack:angry3:

That's worth a brand new "Ice Fishing" etiquette thread right there!

Coulee
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
As a long time Bow angler I would agree that 50 yards is about right. I'm happy to have a conversation with you as you walk around me and are standing on the bank. But to fish the hole I am in is not appropriate, unless I invite you to. Most anglers keep a proper distance, but there is always that one person who is clueless.

jts1
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I was down on the Bow with my wiife one day. This guy in a one of them old Michael Jackson thriller jackets comes over and stands so close his shoulder is tuching mine. Now it took about 2 seconds to see this guy was a few flies short of a full box. I took a step back and said "whats up". He said nothing at first just walked away. But he came back a few mins later and stated to walk back and forth behind me as I tried to cast. I moved down stream a little as my wife gave me the stink eye so I was not to wrap my flie line around his neck. By accident ofcourse. This guy came down stream again and stood next to me looked me right in the eye and says "I remember you your an ars pole with an H

:thinking-006:

Now what do I do?? My first reaction would be to as said earlier accidently get my fly line around his neck or my boot. :shake: But again the wife was giving me the stink eye. So I just told him to beat it. Whats this guy do?? He heads over to my wife. At this point I have dropped my rod and am headed that way as well. he looks at my wife and says "Do you know that guy?" She say Yes. He proceeds to tell her how much of an ars pole with an H I am. Once I got there that was it it for me. Standing a few inches from his nose at the top of my lungs I started to tell him how on the walk over how I have allready figured out how I am going to drown him in the river and make it look like accident. But I did not lay my hands on him as yes you guess it the wife had her very best stink eye on me

So this guy takes a few steps back and says he is going to call fish and wildlife on me. Go ahead I says just do it from far far away. So a short time later YEP here comes fish and wildlife. And then like a magic trick this same guy comes walking out of nowhere. F&W asked me how i was doing and checked us out all was good. he asked what the issue down here was today. Itold him the same story I just told you all. Turns out this guy is allways down by the river and calls this F&W guy all the time, Sometimes its for the right reasons sometimes its not. So the officer looks at this guy and says I dont want to have to fish your body out of the river later so could we just go for a cheese burger. And they just walked away

:confused0024:

Not sure if you guys have seen this fella down there or if someone has drown him yet. But if you do... Do me a favor and moon walk across his behind once for me

scel
12-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Not sure if you guys have seen this fella down there or if someone has drown him yet. But if you do... Do me a favor and moon walk across his behind once for me

Moonwalk on it? More like Beat It. ;)

Super funny story though.

Dan Foss
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I was down on the Bow with my wiife one day. This guy in a one of them old Michael Jackson thriller jackets comes over and stands so close his shoulder is tuching mine. Now it took about 2 seconds to see this guy was a few flies short of a full box. I took a step back and said "whats up". He said nothing at first just walked away. But he came back a few mins later and stated to walk back and forth behind me as I tried to cast. I moved down stream a little as my wife gave me the stink eye so I was not to wrap my flie line around his neck. By accident ofcourse. This guy came down stream again and stood next to me looked me right in the eye and says "I remember you your an ars pole with an H

:thinking-006:

Now what do I do?? My first reaction would be to as said earlier accidently get my fly line around his neck or my boot. :shake: But again the wife was giving me the stink eye. So I just told him to beat it. Whats this guy do?? He heads over to my wife. At this point I have dropped my rod and am headed that way as well. he looks at my wife and says "Do you know that guy?" She say Yes. He proceeds to tell her how much of an ars pole with an H I am. Once I got there that was it it for me. Standing a few inches from his nose at the top of my lungs I started to tell him how on the walk over how I have allready figured out how I am going to drown him in the river and make it look like accident. But I did not lay my hands on him as yes you guess it the wife had her very best stink eye on me

So this guy takes a few steps back and says he is going to call fish and wildlife on me. Go ahead I says just do it from far far away. So a short time later YEP here comes fish and wildlife. And then like a magic trick this same guy comes walking out of nowhere. F&W asked me how i was doing and checked us out all was good. he asked what the issue down here was today. Itold him the same story I just told you all. Turns out this guy is allways down by the river and calls this F&W guy all the time, Sometimes its for the right reasons sometimes its not. So the officer looks at this guy and says I dont want to have to fish your body out of the river later so could we just go for a cheese burger. And they just walked away

:confused0024:

Oh man....... now I cant wear my thriller jacket down by the river anymore..... Oh well I always have my MC Hammer Parachute pants.......

Honestly at first I thought this post was going to be you telling a joke but then realized it actually happened. That is funny. Usually I find the bow, especially within city limits and just south to be quite a bit different for spacing than a typical river. I think 2 casting lengths is the typical standard but at the same time you dont want to trap the other person as they might like to wander up and down the river as well.

jts1
12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I wont be close enought to even have a convo if we yell. I try and skip a large section of water before and after we cross paths. That way I am not fishing a section you just wadded through or you are not doing the same. But it is nice from time to time to maybe have a little chat and ask how the day is going. You can normaly tell if a fella wants your company or not. As for ice fishing thats another story I hate them guys that drill like 20 feet from you because they think you are on the fish or know some top secret info that they dont. But thats why they invented 10" augers Its not big enough to get the whole body down. But you can just fit there heads if you push hard enough.

Woolly Bugger
12-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Not much rattles me while fishing the Bow with the exception of someone(s) floating the river who pound through the section I am fishing a mere 15-20 feet from where I am wading in the water. No competent guide (or boat owner) would do this nor allow their client to cast towards the bank while I am in the water fishing. Unfortunately there are some incompetent guides and boat owners who have no sensibility on the Bow. This has happened to me several times over the years. Fortunately, 99% of those who float the Bow will move across or to the middle of the river as soon as they spot you in the water or on the bank.

chubbdarter
12-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Other fisherman arent the biggest issue.....its the drunk tubers who insist on floating by so close you can see the puke stains on the sides of their raft or tube