PDA

View Full Version : Ice Auger HELP!

avidoutdoors
12-29-2011, 01:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place or person who could help me get an older ice auger (Magnum Plus) turning again. It was given to me and if I can get it working I would like to. I was told it had been overhauled but not used for a couple of years. It even has new blades but my right arm is way to tired.
Thanks for any response, feel free to PM me if you can get me pointed in the right direction.

andreis45
12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Im thinking its the degrees of the blades. Try and align them at roughly 45 degrees.

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Where do you live? There's no point telling you about the small engine repair shop in St Albert if you live in Medicine Hat.

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Im thinking its the degrees of the blades. Try and align them at roughly 45 degrees.

I was thinking that his arm was tired from pulling the cord.

avidoutdoors
12-29-2011, 01:18 AM
I live in Edmonton.

Hunter Trav
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Can't recommend any small engine places, but if your a DIY kinda guy, I would pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner or something like that. If it hasn't been used for a couple years, its where I would start. The other thing to check is the plug. Pull it out and see if there is still spark. Wouldn't hurt to just get a couple news ones for it anyways. Hope that helps...

avidoutdoors
12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I will start there. I am a bit mechanically challenged so I appreciate the advice.

RavYak
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
First off, I have never used one but all engines are the same. All you need is fuel, air, compression and spark to make any engine run.

To test spark take the plug out of the cylinder, rest it on the block etc and pull the cord and see if you can see a spark. If nothing get a new spark plug, check the wires etc.

While you have the plug out(and disconnected from wire) put your thumb or piece of paper over the spark plug hole give it a pull and see if you can feel/see air pressure.

Check to see if air filter is in half decent shape.

Make sure you have new fuel, drain any old stuff out if you don't know how old it is, check fuel filter and here is likely a screw or something on the bottom of it that you can drain fuel/water out of the system. Check and see if there are any knobs on the tank/fuel line that would be on/off knobs for the fuel. Prime up the system and put the choke on when starting. If it tries but then gets worse you likely flooded it, turn the choke off and keep pulling and it should eventually start getting better. You can take the carb apart and spray it with carb cleaner etc, but if you aren't sure what you are doing don't touch any of the screws that affect the setting. Take it in for someone to adjust if all the above doesn't get it started(also get them to do a compression test to see actual compression numbers).

If all the above doesn't work there must be something else wrong with it.

Gerry
12-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm fairly certain you're going to need a carb kit for it.
It more than likely had some gas left in it and it dried out.
If you can't do it, try the lawnmower hospital.