PDA

View Full Version : Sheds already

kbjohn
12-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Found a pr of WT sheds already. Is it just me or are they early. I thought they didn,t shed until Febuary?

Rigby
12-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Seen a couple bucks on the trail cam only sporting one antler already. Definitely seems a little early, especially for the condition this year.

Don K
12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Saw 3 WT's at bale stack yesterday. 2 had 1 antler, other had dropped both!

demolition101
12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Could it be the weather? Tricked into a false spring? Coyote hunting is very slow now too.

cougar chaser
12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
ya wonder how long the fur will remain good on the coyotes,, my grandma used to say any month with a r in it,, but i wonder this year,,, and the horns are way too early

pottymouth
12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
No scientific evidence here. But, some of the biggest sheds I've found have been in this week we are in. Those bucks have always been huge, and might need the little extra grow time! Even bucks who weren't huge, had a substantial antler growth when they shed early. Just my own observation here!

Fletch10
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Usually in my area if they drop them this early its due to poor health and winter conditions....bu this year isnt that case.

Usually mid to late January when they start here.

As for size being attributed to early dropping...I dont think thats the case the biggest buck I had sheds off of for 3 years didn't drop his until late February and March

laker
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
In my neck o the woods the big ones definately drop earlier. So nows the time to start looking for the keepers. The scrubs will drop much later and usually pack one side for a while before dropping the other side. The bigger they are, the more likely the set will be together. That is unless a coyote hauls one away.
These are my findings after 20+ years of shed hunting and a few boxes of horns! Hope to get out today for a look see!

Springer
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I found my first of the year yesterday but it was a couple years old. I have always wondered though if Coyotes haul them away because they travel a lot of the same trails etc. Do they take them back to the den?? Do they chew just the tips? Do they let the pups gnaw on them? Makes me wonder. If they dont get found for a few years and they get bleached is there no interest for anything to chew them?? Curious if anyone has seen coyotes with an antler in their Mouth.

Sooner
12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Thinking of going for a sled ride in my hunting area on sat just to see what sheds may be on the ground. With the lack of snow out there, they should be easier to spot.

shakeyleg02
12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
saw 3 whitetails ..on tuesday 2 had dropped and one still had both down in the south here

boonedocks
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I found my first of the year yesterday but it was a couple years old. I have always wondered though if Coyotes haul them away because they travel a lot of the same trails etc. Do they take them back to the den?? Do they chew just the tips? Do they let the pups gnaw on them? Makes me wonder. If they dont get found for a few years and they get bleached is there no interest for anything to chew them?? Curious if anyone has seen coyotes with an antler in their Mouth.

I found a piece of an ancient elk antler last year in north east alberta and hauled it back to camp where I set it on the woodpile. It was mostly buried in the mud when I found it and was all cracked,bleached white and chalky. Within a few weeks the squirrels had gnawed a surprising amount of bone off it. I suspect that they would rather chew on a fresh shed but will chew up the old ones too.If the rodents didnt chew them up then the woods would be full of antlers. Damn squirrels!

buckkiller321
12-29-2011, 10:43 PM
shoot all of them and the porcepines

Springer
12-30-2011, 03:08 AM
I found a piece of an ancient elk antler last year in north east alberta and hauled it back to camp where I set it on the woodpile. It was mostly buried in the mud when I found it and was all cracked,bleached white and chalky. Within a few weeks the squirrels had gnawed a surprising amount of bone off it. I suspect that they would rather chew on a fresh shed but will chew up the old ones too.If the rodents didnt chew them up then the woods would be full of antlers. Damn squirrels!

No kidding hey Bonnedocks, I am way to stingy on my hard earned sheds to find to out if the squirrels want to add it to their diet. I am still very curious on how many sheds the coyotes pack away..Or maybe there is a Shed fairy like the Tooth fairy and they mysteriously disappear when they wake up...

laker
12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
One year while out shed hunting,i saw a coyotee trotting along with a shed in his yak!! I tried to get his attention so he would drop it,but he took off with it still in his mouth. Too bad I didnt have a gun...Picked up my first freshie of the year,fairly heavy 5 point,but no match. Horns now are easy to spot in the fields with the lack of snow right now..

huntin
12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
hey guys its not to early at all I have a buddy who starts christmas day every year and always finds sheds he probably pics up over 150 sheds a year

albertadeer
12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Yup science is always right !

I guess all bucks shed at the sametime every year, and grow at the same rate !

What day is the best day shedding, and when can we all throw our camera's up .....

The same buck will usually shed within a day or so every year...Science:)

brandon97
12-30-2011, 10:44 PM
i picked up my first shed of the year today as well must of just missed him drop still had blood on the base

ishootbambi
12-30-2011, 10:56 PM
i picked up my first shed of the year today as well must of just missed him drop still had blood on the base

i was looking for sheds a few years ago in april. i spooked a pair of bucks that had both antlers. they ran toward my buddy who then came out of that bush with a fresh matched set. the bases werent just bloody, but it was wet. thats as close as i ever came to seeing antlers fall. on the way back to the truck, we saw that buck again with a little blood trickling down the side of his head.

HunterDave
12-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm gonna change things up from ice fishing and go out shed hunting next week. The winter that we're getting is pretty weird this year and with the lack of snow that we've had and the mild weather forecasted for next week, it'd be nice to walk around the bush. Should be easier to spot the sheds as well. I just might as well try some coyote hunting while I'm at it. Snowmobiling is definitely a no go.

Springer
12-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Just thinking back to last year with all the deep snow, man it was tough to get around..I had my best luck staying on a hard packed well worn trail.
Looking forward to seeing some shed pics ya'all.

justinO
12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm heading out today to check cameras hope to see antlerless bucks, So I can start hunting :sHa_shakeshout:. Last year around this time they started dropping thought it was due to the hard winter and added stress we will see if this year is the same.