PDA

View Full Version : Sausage, Casing, Spice Mix, Pork Trim, and good Sausage Recipes?

Stinky Coyote
12-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Lets talk Sausage :)

Looking for great sausage recipes for deer/elk/moose?

Also, i found a great place to buy cheap pork trim. Consumer Direct Meats in Calgary off Peigan & 52.
Paid 1.35lb for Maple Leaf pork trim 60/40, 60lb case was 81.00
also bought a case of pork butts, they run around 85-90lean, paid 2.18lb, 52lb case was 113.36
Way better than I paid in the past.

Any other good places to buy trim or good sausage mix?

TomE
12-29-2011, 09:51 AM
That's very cheap for trim..i was quoted $2.50 lb for 60% and $3.00 for 80%. I thought that a little Expensive! So, I went to Wholesale Foods off Barlow and 27th NE I believe..2 Whole Pork Loins for about $2.00 Lb..I Mixed 50/50 with Whitetail and it made excellent Pepperoni and Fresh Honey Garlic..I buy the Pre-mix packets from D&R Halford Hide and Leather NE Calgary.. They have a Whole Wall of Sausage Mixes...I like the "add 23 lbs of meat and 1 lb of water"
aspect..No Guessing and I have made excellent Sausage from them..

Sledhead71
12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
We are fairly lucky when it comes to pork, raise our own organic hog and sows.. I keep all the pure fat and use in our sausage, 80% wild with 20% pure pork fat..

We build our own spices and process everything we tip over :)

Springer
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
We just processed 175 lbs of Moose & Elk trim into sausage. I got a 50 lb box of trim for $95 from a person who works at Olymel. The spices i got from Butcher supply to make the Chorizo was under proportion for each 25 lb batch but the premixed spices i got from Big Bend Market , which comes from Halford were Excellent.
I also tried the synthetic casings this year and they worked awesome..

Stinky Coyote
12-29-2011, 01:00 PM
yeah, i was surprised at the prices for the quality too, i'll be back for other product, seem pretty new so unsure if anyone heard of them yet?, pretty sure they got a website going but i haven't gone there yet, got put on em by word of mouth recently, Tom, i like the simple style also, keep em coming, love to hear some more favorite recipes and what others have found for deals on supply etc.?

wsmman
12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
i have ground pork for sale. 2- 10 pound packages the rest is 2 pound packages. This is from our own hogs(purebred berkshire), butchered 2 sows so we have lots. we use it all the time and it is very delicious. This is already ground and i would like to get $1.50/pound for it.