PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hog shooting

singleshotom
12-29-2011, 08:59 AM
A fellow sent me this about handling a Texas ranch problem
its fairly long but interesting........:
sst

This Texas feral hog shooting chopper video (LOACH on the job) is fascinating. The pilot has a fixed rifle (sounds like a 270) with optics rigged back to his helmet and eye-piece. He doesn't miss and his scout-chopper flying skills are down pat with the hogs behavior and pack or group running style. This came from Greg Cooper who has a huge ranch SE of Brownfield, Texas...south of Lubbock. I don't know where the chopper hog hunting op is but it is clearly West Texas. This is a long run video but the hogs get it! I don't see them dropping flags or stakes from the air to ground-mark their kills so as to go find them easily but I assume they "know" the country or wait for the turkey buzzards to tip them off. The pilot is really good!

http://www.vimeo.com/21181307 <http://www.vimeo.com/21181307>

grind stone
12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I never get tierd of that video Great stuff

High_N_Wide
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I have seen a video like this before where the pilot had a gunner, but not one where he is the shooter. He must be great at multitasking! lol

Seems very unsporting but at the same time knowing how much of an issue they are down there, sure would be fun to take part in one of these culls!

Or at least watch cause this guy has got some skill!

Fordpilot83
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
thats so awesome. hes a great shot. im thinking 50 cal tho. kicks pretty hard and folds those pigs easily. great video, thanks for posting

madatter
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
thats so awesome. hes a great shot. im thinking 50 cal tho. kicks pretty hard and folds those pigs easily. great video, thanks for posting

50 cal ammo is not exactly cheap,up here it's like $10 a shell.
Short barrel on the rifle,semi auto....not sure what it is but it does a good job!
I cant believe how many hogs are in just that little area tho!

Bound2Fish
12-29-2011, 09:54 AM
I love that he wears camo hunting the hogs from a helicopter.

madatter
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Google helicopter hog hunting in Texas and some other good video and info on it.
Weapons of choice seem to be AR15's ....could be larger caliber than 5.56 but probably not.

Big Dog Al
12-29-2011, 11:56 AM
The perfect man made solution to a man made problem. If he isn't already he would clearly make lots of money ridding the states of a serious ferrel hog problem.

Don K
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Good to see our SRD guys found winter employment!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

But seriously that looks like a ton of fun...

Stinky Coyote
12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
wow, love it! would love to know more about the rifle set up and how he aims it?