PDA

View Full Version : Skating and ice fishing

g_trout
12-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Hello,

I am going to be taking the kids(5,8and16) and girlfriend ice fishing on Sunday to bring in the new year. I was thinking we would go to Nakamun and get a few perch unless anyone has any better ideas near Edmonton. I need to get a few fish to make sure the kids are as hooked on ice fishing as much as they are fishing in summer.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was snow on the ice? If not we want to do some skating as a change of pace for the ones that can't keep focused(the girlfriend and 16 year old).

We will be out there with a 6 man Fatfish and a grey tarp wind wall, if anyone wants to stop by to say hello.

rm206
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't comment on that lake in particular but the ones I've fished on a couple hours north of there are really good this year for skating on. I know if I wouldn't of just had back surgery Id be out there with my friends with the skates and fishing gear that way if the fishing is slow we usually play some hockey and especially with the nice weather we've been having.

Willowtrail
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I will be able to let you know tonight. A buddy is out there now and he can let me know the status for you. They were there yesterday and a bit of snow was on the ice but the fishing was good.

g_trout
12-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I appreciate the help.

Some snow would be nice so we aren't chasing a puck across the lake. Just hoping the ice is smooth underneath.

Willowtrail
12-29-2011, 02:29 PM
The ice is smooth underneath for sure. I was out there on the 18th. Fishing should be hot so you may not want to skate.

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 03:52 PM
It's a great lake to take kids to. There are tons of small perch in there that are eager to try the bait. Skating/hockey would be good on there as well as long as you're not in an area where there are old fishing holes.....lol.

g_trout
01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
We went out on Sunday and had a great time. Everyone caught a fish. Nothing big but, for the most part, the kids don't care. The youngest wanted to keep one but we talked him out of it. Talked to a couple of people out there and it seems to be the same story. Everyone caught a few but nothing worth keeping. Did some skating. Cooked a couple meals. All the equipment worked great but still got some ideas for improvement.

Now next weekend me and my girlfriend are going a little farther away to do some real fishing.

Thanks for your help.

Willowtrail
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
We went out on Sunday and had a great time. Everyone caught a fish. Nothing big but, for the most part, the kids don't care. The youngest wanted to keep one but we talked him out of it. Talked to a couple of people out there and it seems to be the same story. Everyone caught a few but nothing worth keeping. Did some skating. Cooked a couple meals. All the equipment worked great but still got some ideas for improvement.

Now next weekend me and my girlfriend are going a little farther away to do some real fishing.

Thanks for your help.

Where did you end up going? Glad you had a great time.

Where you heading to next weekend?

g_trout
01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
We were at Nakamun on Jan 1.

I am not sure where we are going this weekend. I was thinking near Lac La Biche or north somewhere. Siebert or one of the others in the Lakeland park there. I have great winter tires and AWD on my car but ground clearance is an issue so I am not sure if I can get in there. Sylvan and Calling are possibles as well. Looks like every place has some action so I don't think there is a bad choice.

I will be looking around this week for ideas and lake access info. I only re-started fishing this year. My dad used to take us out but that was 25 years ago so I don't have a good base of information on locations. If you got any suggestions I would appreciate it.