PDA

View Full Version : ice auger mantenace

the local angler
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
hey all just curious as to how often everyone who has power augers do mantenece? i have had my jiffy power 30 for about 8 to 10 years and have only changed the spark plug once on it and it starts and runs great. i am thinking if it ain't broken don't fix it kinda thinking. how often should tune ups and such be performed?

Don K
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Thats all I do too...

kingshow
12-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I always put my jiffy away for the year topped up with fresh fuel/oil mixture and stabilizer, i spray a little flogging oil in the cylinder as well. I like to fire it up every 3 months or so and flog the cylinder again, then prior to the ice season i put in a fresh gas mixture, and ensure it fires up, never had to do any major maintenance other then changing the plug once. and I make it a practice to always bring my manual auger as back up just in case. although I've never had to use it. I'm sure this is over kill, but it helps me deal with the days stuck at home in the city between the fishing seasons

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I just bought my first power auger. The way that I look at it is, in comparison to the amount of use that my lawnmower gets, I doubt that I will do anything extra to the auger in comparison to what I do for the lawn mower. In fact, I'll do allot less.......oil change, clean filter, lube cables, etc. I'll read the manual about summerizing it but I'll probably just put a little stabilizer in it and run it dry. Maybe if I have some fogging oil laying around I'll pull the plug, give her a squirt and pull the start cord a time or two but other than that, not much else.

dennis wood
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
HI I HAVE SAME AUGER if you have spark put a few drops of oil in cyl leave plug out pull a few times this well help with comp instal spark plug take little filter out of air cleaner put a little gas in choke pull should fire up if carb is plug up with old stall fuel re move and soak in varsole this will desolve after a few hrs. dont take aprt onless your fim. with carb after soaking try blowing thowe gas line

HunterDave
12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I always put my jiffy away for the year topped up with fresh fuel/oil mixture and stabilizer.......

I do that for my bigger toys.....boat, sled, quad.....but for small engines I just add a bit of stabilizer and run them dry.......lawnmower, chainsaw, weedeater.

Daceminnow
12-30-2011, 08:49 AM
hey all just curious as to how often everyone who has power augers do mantenece? i have had my jiffy power 30 for about 8 to 10 years and have only changed the spark plug once on it and it starts and runs great. i am thinking if it ain't broken don't fix it kinda thinking. how often should tune ups and such be performed?

i punch many holes a season, so I like to maintain my equipment. i used to have a small engine shop tune up my old jiffy about every 3 years. cost me about 60 bucks if I remember correctly. carb job, cleaning, plug etc. whether it needed it or not it gave me piece of mind for my investment and the auger served me well for many years. still runs to this day. i used factory small engine and the lawnmower hospital, both in edmonton. I know alberta forest and garden in calgary does small engine repair and maintenance as well.

Dace

Jiffy10
12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Fresh Gas and a new plug every couple of years or clean it.....
Run your motor dry in the springl so there is no fuel in it.

Other than that.... always put in a bit of sabilizer. Fuel no longer
has any additives for preservation in it. Years ago they started
running the plants with a JIT inventory system ( just in time )
to cut down on carrying costs. SO.... the additives got taken out also.

I've been told by a plant chemical engineer that shelf life of fuel is
approx 35 days. This means that fuel in the carb sitting there is
getting gummy,

anyone with a tecumseh on their auger ..... I have 2 carb kits
with needle and seats . I order them 4 at a time and get'm cheap
on line. If your in need one send me a PM .
I also have a one pager on installing / and setting the low and high
speeds also....

see you on the ice.....

Buck Krazy
12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
thanks jiffy, good info!

kingshow
12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
There has always been 2 trains of thought to small engines, to run it dry, or keep it topped up, Running it dry has been standard practice before the wide use of stabilizer and such, my biggest concern is there is condensation when ran dry as there will always be some sort of fuel left over, as well as fuel lines and seals drying and possibly failing in the future, I do believe however both methods are acceptable and widely used. I just prefer keeping it topped up so no condensation or water has any room to get into the system. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as it makes a hole in the ice when you want it too.

Jiffy10
12-30-2011, 11:47 AM
you need moisture and a radical temp. change to produce
condensation. In the summer months you will most likely
have the condensation evaporate during the summer months.
so if you leave your vent open on your cap ... it will evaporate.

we run little risk of accumulating condensation in our summer
environment.

last words.... even a small bit of condensation ( moisture )
will get pushed thru the carb in a matter of minutes if there is
any at all.....

see you on the ice.....

Jwood 456
12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
All that's been done to my 8 year old jiffy, is getting a new spark plug when I had it for 2 years, and sharpening the blade every season, and it still runs like new! Didn't even have to do any carb adjustments or clean outs! :sHa_shakeshout: