PDA

View Full Version : Loan me you FoxPro?

seabass23
12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I've been trying to get into coyote hunting but have had no success with the mouth calls so far. I'm considering the purchase of a FoxPro to improve my odds but would love to give one a shot. I have plans to head out on Saturday morning with my hunting partner.

Is there anyone located in the NW Edmonton area (I'm in St Albert) who's got an idle FoxPro this weekend? I'd love to try one out. I will pick up and drop off at your convenience, allow you to review my photo id, and provide a mutually agreeable deposit/collateral/rental fee. Is anyone able to help me out?

wally338
12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
I cant help you with the foxpro but may have few tips for mouth calls.What type of call are you using if you dont mind my asking?:)

nimrod
12-29-2011, 08:26 PM
If you need a buddy to go hunt with I can being my Mouth calls and show you how well it works.

7mm08
12-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Because I am a curious man...How long have you been using the mouth call? Seems a lot of hunters are having no luck lately with any calls...just the season I guess. I am hoping its not a "if in the first few set ups you dont succeed, get an electronic caller" syndrome. It takes practice to get a mouth call to work properly. Best indication of success with a mouth call...even if no 'dogs come in...magpies...if you bring in magpies with a mouth blown distress call...you are doing it right. My opinion..., and thats all it is ....a simple opinion...give the mouth call a good bit of practice. Its not fool proof, it just takes finesse.

seabass23
12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm using a Cat Nip and a Still Jackrabbit. This is on the recommendation of my cousin. He mostly hunts in the East Central part of the province.

I haven't given up on the mouth calls. I still plan to master them. I was just looking to improve my odds of a successful hunt before my week of vacation is over and I have to go back to work!

canishunter22-250
12-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I would probably just stick with the mouth calls for now. It's all in the set up, not necessarily in the noise you are making. If you don't have a lot of experience getting set up properly, it's not going to make that much difference whether the sound is coming from a foxpro or a mouth call.
Focus on positioning yourself so that you'll see them when they come in and so that they'll be in shooting range. They'll come.
I used an E-caller for a few years, but these days I just use mouth calls, because they are no less effective.
E-callers are useful tools for experienced coyote hunters, but they are not a substitution for experiece.

wally338
12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I have found in last few days the challenge type calls are working alright.

Jeromeo
12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Because I am a curious man...How long have you been using the mouth call? Seems a lot of hunters are having no luck lately with any calls...just the season I guess. I am hoping its not a "if in the first few set ups you dont succeed, get an electronic caller" syndrome. It takes practice to get a mouth call to work properly. Best indication of success with a mouth call...even if no 'dogs come in...magpies...if you bring in magpies with a mouth blown distress call...you are doing it right. My opinion..., and thats all it is ....a simple opinion...give the mouth call a good bit of practice. Its not fool proof, it just takes finesse.

X2. Very well said. The calling is rather slow right now from what I hear. I'll be heading out regardless. Remember practice makes perfect. I used to watch coyote calling/hunting youtube videos and try to mimic the sounds that the callers made... I then took those skills into the field and found that I was quite successful. I always recommend mastering a distress call before using open reed howlers. The key is to make it sound like you are dying.

Pikebreath
12-29-2011, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=canishunter22-250;1230666
I used an E-caller for a few years, but these days I just use mouth calls, because they are no less effective.
[/QUOTE]

E-callers have been legal for coyotes for the only past two or three years now.

We went 2 for 4 with the foxpro yesterday,,, location is important,,, our best success comes hiding in a small patch of cover calling upwind of larger cover or suspected coyote location ,,,and you need to have the coyote cross 50 -200 yards of open ground to get to you, so you can see him before he makes you. Also it helps to have no cover for several hundred yards on the down wind side.

Vary the volume of your ecaller, calling intermitingly off and on,,, a couple minutes on, minute off etc.

canishunter22-250
12-30-2011, 06:55 PM
E-callers have been legal for coyotes for the only past two or three years now.

They were legal for predators in other provinces (BC) before they were legal in Alberta.

trigger7mm
12-30-2011, 10:11 PM
E-callers are useful tools for experienced coyote hunters, but they are not a substitution for experiece.[/QUOTE]

You're right on with that statement.