PDA

View Full Version : Cougar question

Blanka
12-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey. I feel dumb for asking this but I was out on the trapline today with my father in law and we cut a bunch of fresh cougar tracks. The question came up between the three of us out there. What do you call a female cougar? The male is a Tom but what is a female.

Between the three of us (an engineer a biologist and a trapper - outfitter) you would think one of us would know, but we didn't ha.

Apparently google doesn't know either I just tried searching, and it is really starting to bug me.

Our best guesses were lioness, cougaress ha :angry3:
Thanks

WildKat
12-29-2011, 07:49 PM
As far as I can tell from research they are called a Lioness, Cougar is just another name for mountain lion, which in turn is derived from puma concolor, meaning cat of one colour. Hope you found this helpful.

Cheers!

WildKat

sage 13
12-29-2011, 07:51 PM
I have heard some call them queen but in most talk its just female.

Blanka
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
k thanks guys.

all I have ever heard is female cougar. I just thought there would be a different name like most big game animals in Alberta

gunslinger
12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Its called a tabby. Thats what we have always called the females is tabby's

Blanka
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM

Oh nice. That was actually one of the names we were throwing around today when we were trying to figure it out. I always thought a tabby was a stripped house cat :)

Drunkenfarmer
12-30-2011, 12:39 AM
You call her anything she wants to be called, prolly Mrs. So-n-so and buy her another drink!!! :D

catnthehat
12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
X2.
Cat